Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-10-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
Simple answer....never have.
Didn't even know there was such a thing for flyfishing.
Cute
Old 02-10-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
Interesting replies that beg a few more questions;

For those who said it is an opportunity to get out/or take the kids out...why do you need a tournament to do that?

For those of you who said it was the competitive aspect/prizes that appealed to you...If you have to compete and keep score....Is fishing still a sport...or is it a game?

Considering the web can’t even decide the difference between a game and sport what criteria do you use to define them? For an example though, here’s one of many charts trying to differentiate between the two.

Being as fishing involves the aspect of chance or luck, by that table it’s always a game. It could easily go either way though and I consider it a sport. Why the need for a label though?

Tournament fishing for me just adds a few more layers of rules, the competitive atmosphere and the prospect of a financial win. The time around the hotel drinking with the boys and learning stuff is nice too but our club members meetings are the same deal so it’s not as though that’s an exclusive perk to a tournament.
I’ll fish any day that ends in ‘y’ if the swell is calm enough and I don’t need a tournament to have me drag the boat to the water.

Now as for a fly fishing tourney, that one I posted about that I’m going to in April has a fly fishing category so they do exists if your a die hard fly snob.

It would be easier if you told us what you were fishing for here with your line of questioning...
Old 02-10-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post

Now as for a fly fishing tourney, that one I posted about that I’m going to in April has a fly fishing category so they do exists if your a die hard fly snob
That would be interesting!
Doubt they would let us out of the country here by then though...and Aus probably won't let us in either....
Old 02-11-2021, 09:18 AM

I had the chance when I was 16 or 17 to fish the kenora bass international. 200 teams/boats. I think I fished it in 2000 or 01. 3 days on lake of the woods in early august chasing smallies. 1 place back then was 30 grand plus a boat and motor from lund x2 one for each team member and a leased f150 for a year if you won the tournament.

Each morning you would launch your boat at 530 am. Proceed to the check in and they would check your boat make sure you didn't have any live bait and then you would stage just out of the bay at the starting line and wait for your flyte to start. 4 flytes of 50 boats 30 mins apart (depending on your placement from the previous day is when you would start). When they called your boat number you waved and well it was peddle to the floor going 70mph down the lake in a 17.5 champion bass boat. Then the grind of the day. I would eat breakfast befor we launched and would not eat till we got back just drink water all day. It was the best most exciting fishing of my life. I was really glad I got to experience it we didnt win but it was a blast.

Gbuss