Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I saw those..
MUCHO MUCHO $$$$

Heidi is the only one that drinks coffe, so I left it up to her.. She said no.

I wanted my driveway to be heated.. SHe said no.

Lots of no's comming my way these days.
Jamie
It is expensive.
We were going to heat the driveway for this client also until he saw he'd need more than a million BTU's to be efficient.
This fella has money and even he balked at that.

BTW I'm not sure a hunter should be saying he has a "deer" wife. That may come across as kinda weird.

Sorry man I try not to make fun of spelling but that's sittin there like a knuckle ball that doesn't break.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
It is expensive.
We were going to heat the driveway for this client also until he saw he'd need more than a million BTU's to be efficient.
This fella has money and even he balked at that.

BTW I'm not sure a hunter should be saying he has a "deer" wife. That may come across as kinda weird.

Sorry man I try not to make fun of spelling but that's sittin there like a knuckle ball that doesn't break.
Thats right.. I set them up and you KNOCK em right out the park.

I did reduce our master shower down from 9 nozzels to 3. But the rain shower is 16" round!!
After all a guy needs his "SPA" experiance after a cold day in the duck blind. LOLOL

Check out this bad boy.. ITS HUGE!!!!
http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bathro...atalogId=10053

Jamie
Old 04-16-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I put a whole hidden stairway into a project here in Calgary about 6yrs ago. There was a business on the bottom two floors, and the upper floors was the owners residence. He had a secret passage from his home office to his work office, among other little secret areas. Was a lot of fun.
That would be cool!
Old 04-16-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Thats right.. I set them up and you KNOCK em right out the park.

I did reduce our master shower down from 9 nozzels to 3. But the rain shower is 16" round!!
After all a guy needs his "SPA" experiance after a cold day in the duck blind. LOLOL

Check out this bad boy.. ITS HUGE!!!!
http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bathro...atalogId=10053

Jamie
Spa-like or not I,m putting a rain shower in my next place. They are great to have after you've been out in the cold. Throw on a good hot "rain" and you warm up quick.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:11 PM

Looks like a great place Jamie. I hope it all comes together for you on time.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
Looks like a great place Jamie. I hope it all comes together for you on time.
Me 2!!!

We are going to ask for one change.
Today I was at a buddy's house who did a total reno on a big house located on Lake Bonavista.
Some of his rooms are very comparable in size to some of ours.

So I will have a one way vaulted ceiling in my den and the Great room will have a flat ceiling with a big 1 foot deep square shape in it. Almost like a recessed roof. In the square will be recessed/hidden lights.

I want this to be our last big change.

Jamie
Old 04-16-2010, 07:33 PM

Should be a nice home.

Just a suggestion, but I would be tempted to change the ensuite a little. Maybe move the the toilet area to the inside wall just to the left of where you enter from the master bedroom and that would allow you to put a window in the ensuite, I think the natural light in the ensuite would be nice and it would allow you to have a cross draft through the ensuite and master bedroom in the warmer months.

Building a new home is a really rewarding experience but will be very stressful also, sometimes the light will get very dim at the end of the tunnel but you will get through it.

Hope you get great weather and have the best of luck.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:31 PM
KyleM

Hey just a bit of info...

Not to sure of the codes in Edmonton, Im sure theyre more strict than that of GP but you must have an electrical box on your island to make big brother happy. Reason being, they dont want electrical cords strung across from the island to the wall outlets. Putting islands on rollers is something I have done in the past but they wear out flooring in a huge hurry.

If your in need of some help in the cabinet area I would be delighted to help a fellow outdoorsman out with questions. I have a very good contact in Edmonton for fantastic pricing on countertops if you want their number shoot me a PM. They are typically 40% cheaper than anywhere else...They do hard surfaces along with laminates.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Banned

Just changed a few things today on the plan. My office will now have a vaulted ceiling and the Great Room will be more of a coffured look.

Window styles have been picked and the kitchen design has started.

Heidi finds all this very stressful. But she is being a trooper and struggling through it.

Looks like we are ready to go.

May 3rd can not come quick enough!!!!!

Jamie
Old 05-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Banned

Hole is dug, footings were poured last night!!

We took the chance to go over late last night and write our names in a bit of concrete.

As a family we also buried some small stuff in the basement.
It was a touching moment with plenty of tears. But everyone felt better after we made it home.
Willy told Syd she was lucky that she didn't see it burning. I really wondered if I made a mistake by bringing him to the fire. Not that I had much choice as everyone and there dog was there, but still... I am sure I could have found a place to put him... It just never crossed my mind.

Jamie
Old 05-22-2010, 10:33 AM

Good to hear you're moving along with the building, and enjoying and cherishing the steps with your family. All part of the rebuilding/healing process and it sounds really good for you guys.

I think that taking Willy to the fire all just adds up to his life experiences. Sure, things can be a bit tough to see at times and possibly arent the nicest things to see, but I'm guessing that his reality of the situation set in a lot easier and he has a profound sense of what his possessions, family, safety, etc mean to him and I think it would make him a stronger person out of it.

I'm just going by what I've seen with kids who have seen traumatic situations, and I think overall it helps them grow, especially with a family like yours who has went through it together and attempted to make things as smooth as you can.

Good luck guys! Cant wait to see the new shack! I'll bring the first bottle of wine (or case of Kokanee) lol
Old 05-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Banned

Thanks Trev. I hope what you have said is true.
So far it is. I had my happy, laughing boy back the next day.

Last night we were at the site and he was just fascinated by the cribbing that has been mostly completed. (Pouring starts on Tuesday). Lots of questions.
Definitely a different attitude than on Thursday night.

Thanks
Jamie
Old 05-22-2010, 04:24 PM

Glad to hear the update, Jamie. I was working down there last week and stopped by to have another look at the spruce. Now, while the heat from the fire has had an effect on the one side, it is budding and will definately pull through all of this just fine. Now that the foundation is set, I'll have a better idea of the new home's footprint, so next time I'm in the area I'll have another look and advise accordingly. Good luck man.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Banned

Thanks Tree.

We really appreciate the help.

Jamie