Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2014, 12:42 AM
Banned

The problem with a purity test is it's never quite pure enough.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fed View Post
Did you grow up here or if you did where are you from. I'm born and raised small town and still live here. It has it's ups and downs but one thing dosnt change. All us that live here like it and wouldn't change it! You ramble on all the time about all that is bad with a conservative thinking but aparently live here. I love the fact that today me and a bunch of people went and shot trap and lots of targets for fun all afternoon. Ya and my 5yr old got on target pretty good with his 22 and 410. All I ever see is you throwing the ultra left into discussions but it seems all you can post something usefull on is fishing. (If that). Give it a break. I've grown up here, watched the province grow and the times change. I welcome new peaple and have actually asked a newbie to my area to come hunting that had moved here. You are not an outdoorsmen but someone who likes fishing but can't accept more.
Well said. AO has changed the last couple years, leaning more towards the likes of the Toronto Star comments section. Their types get to stay, the "Albertan" way of thinking gets shown the door.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Did you grow up here or if you did where are you from. I'm born and raised small town and still live here. It has it's ups and downs but one thing dosnt change. All us that live here like it and wouldn't change it! You ramble on all the time about all that is bad with a conservative thinking but aparently live here. I love the fact that today me and a bunch of people went and shot trap and lots of targets for fun all afternoon. Ya and my 5yr old got on target pretty good with his 22 and 410. All I ever see is you throwing the ultra left into discussions but it seems all you can post something usefull on is fishing. (If that). Give it a break. I've grown up here, watched the province grow and the times change. I welcome new peaple and have actually asked a newbie to my area to come hunting that had moved here. You are not an outdoorsmen but someone who likes fishing but can't accept more.

Could you point out the part of my post that is ultra-left?

It is a lot more constructive to comment on the points I made than to throw out insults.

If you have comments specifically related to something I've written I'd be happy to read them.

What is it that I can't accept?
Old 08-04-2014, 01:04 AM

Beeguy your the one that's always the liberal on this site. I don't discourage debate but you have a past of posting against what us small town peaple think. I hate city's and don't even go to them (to many peaple ). I can get what I need here as does everyone. If I insulted you then fine, learn to live with it. Sometimes you sound like that kid that couldn't get a fail in school nowadays
Old 08-04-2014, 01:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Beeguy your the one that's always the liberal on this site. I don't discourage debate but you have a past of posting against what us small town peaple think. I hate city's and don't even go to them (to many peaple ). I can get what I need here as does everyone. If I insulted you then fine, learn to live with it. Sometimes you sound like that kid that couldn't get a fail in school nowadays
Liberal is just a slur used by a certain segment of the membership here when they can't address the topic at hand.

I grew up in a farm hands house. Closest small town wasn't close. I drove the tractor standing up until I could get the clutch all the way down sitting in the seat. We ain't the same, but we ain't that different.

So what's an Albertan?
Old 08-04-2014, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack88 View Post
Well said. AO has changed the last couple years, leaning more towards the likes of the Toronto Star comments section. Their types get to stay, the "Albertan" way of thinking gets shown the door.
I may not have been here as long as others on this forum but the albertan way down here in the south will never leave. It's a way of life for us that have lived here long enough to remember. You can't take what we all enjoy here. Peaple can complain all they want but they just have no idea what a tool a gun can be. I've grown up with them, I've used them all my life, and they are a great pastime now I'm older. When I hear liberal I think city.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Do onto others as you would have done to yourself, the golden rule.

if Beeguy's opinion insulted you, perhaps you should learn to live with it. instead you insult him for being a voice of dissent, and quiet often the devils advocate. Is that how you wish people to treat you?

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 08-04-2014, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Liberal is just a slur used by a certain segment of the membership here when they can't address the topic at hand.

I grew up in a farm hands house. Closest small town wasn't close. I drove the tractor standing up until I could get the clutch all the way down sitting in the seat. We ain't the same, but we ain't that different.

So what's an Albertan?
In my view of an albertan is someone who lives here and works here. Have your views if you choose. I've met many peaple happy to be here from other places. I also watched them work and stay here. There is no big oil down here so peaple I meet are her for the life not the money.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
Do onto others as you would have done to yourself, the golden rule.

if Beeguy's opinion insulted you, perhaps you should learn to live with it. instead you insult him for being a voice of dissent, and quiet often the devils advocate. Is that how you wish people to treat you?
maybe you should read the next sentence after what you highlighted.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:28 AM

Quote:
maybe you should read the next sentence after what you highlighted.
The one where the pot was calling the kettle black. no I read it.

I graduated with honors btw, and Bee well he's got a lot more fancy learnin papers then me.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 08-04-2014, 04:25 AM

An Albertan can be easily identified by spending a week or two in laid back Saskatchewan or Manitoba. Then drive back towards Alberta. As you get within 1 hour of the Alberta border you will witness the speed and pace of Westbound traffic increase with a angry ferocity.
You will see civility dissipate like the morning dew replaced with a hostile emotionally charged me-first attitude.
How dare you breath my air and step foot on my land!
It is like wasps buzzing around the nest that someone whacked with a stick.
That is what an Albertan is!!!
To survive here-you better be another wasp.
Yes double-entendre intended.

Last edited by omega50; 08-04-2014 at 04:37 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:01 AM

The consequences of a repeated Boom & Bust economy, gotta get it while it's there. Saskatchewan changing fast too. Try drivin' highways 7, 4 or 11 at the speed limit
Old 08-04-2014, 07:07 AM

The number of Manitoba plates blowin' your doors off on the #1 is impressive as well
Old 08-04-2014, 07:34 AM

Working on five generations of Alberians. Whatever this place is now, it certainly is different. Several things are obvious. Jacked up trucks, rolling coal, OHV everywhere, garbage in every ditch and the single finger wave.
I suspect that a lot of people would trade whatever this place has become for what it was in the past.
Drove across Sask. and noticed the lack of garbage. There is more garbage from Rocky to the Clearwater Bridge a distance of about a mile that I saw crossing Sask. Maybe the people of Sask care about the place they live.
Toured into the interior of BC. This summer. People were courteous and kind. A hell of a shock to this Albertan's system. Just not used to folks waving with a full hand.

Regards,

Don
Old 08-04-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Working on five generations of Alberians. Whatever this place is now, it certainly is different. Several tAlberta obvious. Jacked up trucks, rolling coal, OHV everywhere, garbage in every ditch and the single finger wave.
I suspect that a lot of people would trade whatever this place has become for what it was in the past.
Drove across Sask. and noticed the lack of garbage. There is more garbage from Rocky to the Clearwater Bridge a distance of about a mile that I saw crossing Sask. Maybe the people of Sask care about the place they live.
Toured into the interior of BC. This summer. People were courteous and kind. A hell of a shock to this Albertan's system. Just not used to folks waving with a full hand.

Regards,

Don

Just spent 10 days in BC ran into a fair amount of A......holes on the road,was shocked when we started to notice all the license plates were from Alberta. Found BC drivers very courteous
It was so nice to walk down a street and have someone smile and knod or say hi instead of asking me for change.l may not know what an Albertian is but I know I wish they were more like a British Columbian.......

Mack
Old 08-04-2014, 08:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Just spent 10 days in BC ran into a fair amount of A......holes on the road,was shocked when we started to notice all the license plates were from Alberta. Found BC drivers very courteous
It was so nice to walk down a street and have someone smile and knod or say hi instead of asking me for change.l may not know what an Albertian is but I know I wish they were more like a British Columbian.......

Mack
You are welcome at my BBQ any time you come through Kimberley.You are right about the Alta plates for sure,I work along the Highway between Cranbrook and Creston,80% of the tags were from Alta.fridayWhat`s wrong over there?I thought they had an Evac alert or something.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:08 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Someone who ran out of gas on their way to BC!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-04-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:

Mack
Take a drive up highway 63, and it soon becomes apparent that many of the bad drivers are driving vehicles with plates from other provinces. As far as B.C. is concerned, just like Alberta, it depends where in the province you choose to go. In or near the larger cities in either province, you run into the people that you would rather avoid, but when you get far away from the cities, you run into the more down to earth people.

As far as being an Albertan, try living in Fort McMurray, and you will soon learn that the people that actually live here, seem to care about the community. and take part in community events, and make the community a better place. The people that live elsewhere, and only come back and forth to work, often do nothing but bad mouth our community, and our province. They constantly tell us how great things are in their province, yet they come to Alberta to make a living.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:23 AM
Banned

Someone who loves this place and wants to stay. Doesn't matter if you've been here a year or your family since 1870.

What is not an Albertan? Someone who is here to make a buck and its going to be moving to BC or back east as soon as they retire (by this definition would include most of the corporate suits in Calgary who the government listens so much to)
Old 08-04-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Take a drive up highway 63, and it soon becomes apparent that many of the bad drivers are driving vehicles with plates from other provinces. As far as B.C. is concerned, just like Alberta, it depends where in the province you choose to go. In or near the larger cities in either province, you run into the people that you would rather avoid, but when you get far away from the cities, you run into the more down to earth people.

As far as being an Albertan, try living in Fort McMurray, and you will soon learn that the people that actually live here, seem to care about the community. and take part in community events, and make the community a better place. The people that live elsewhere, and only come back and forth to work, often do nothing but bad mouth our community, and our province. They constantly tell us how great things are in their province, yet they come to Alberta to make a living.
One of my staff just left and took a job in Fort mac to work for the Mikisew Cree. Selling house here and buying there. His first comment back to me was its not as negative as people make it out to be............its only been a month mind you, so could be the noobie talking, time will tell.

As for what's an Albertan..........I'll leave that for you folks to define yourselves.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
You are welcome at my BBQ any time you come through Kimberley.You are right about the Alta plates for sure,I work along the Highway between Cranbrook and Creston,80% of the tags were from Alta.fridayWhat`s wrong over there?I thought they had an Evac alert or something.
Was in Kimberly had to go to Cliff's meats and load up on jerky and smokies best jerky ever. Nice little town. Stayed at Norbury lakeside cabins the owners are great people. Fished Tie all week. When BC is so close why stay in Alberta.........lol. Already planning next trip

Mack
Old 08-04-2014, 09:53 AM

How did I know that somebody would try to turn this into a debate about belonging and not what the op actually asked.
Still haven't invented the car that runs off self satisfaction? Didn't think so
Old 08-04-2014, 09:56 AM

An Albertan is someone who lived in Saskatchewan and played hockey on the Saskatchewan river and got a break away....

Maybe better to define by an opposite..... NOT A TORONTONIAN

A male Albertan is....

Someone with crude or callouses on his hands,
Mud on his boots,
Jeans on his legs
Work shirt on his back
Hat on his head whether cowboy or ball cap
Belt on his pants
Muscle on his arms
A brain in his head
Chaw in his jaw
Guts in his belly
Balls in his sack
Love in his heart for kin, friends and country
A polite word on his tongue for those he respects
A cuss word when needed
Knows which end of a bull to feed
and knows when someone is feeding him from the other end
Best as a friend, worst as an enemy
But most of all someone who is HARD

They work HARD, They play HARD, They love HARD, They laugh HARD and in the end they DIE HARD....but leave a memory that here was a MAN....a true Albertan....
Old 08-04-2014, 10:06 AM

I am a 37 year old fifth generation Albertan. I have spent my whole life identifying myself as such. I am an Albertan first and a Canadian second.
I remember how things were and hope we can get back there for my daughters sake. However I am loosing hope. It's a downward spiral with no end in sight.
Exactly how big do we have to get? We do not have to dig it all up and cut it all down today. Save some for Alberta's children.
As Albertans we need to take more pride in our province and come out of the shadows. My blood boils every time i have to see a freaking newfie flag on the back of a truck. Why is it that you see more newf flags every day than an Alberta flag. I can not call a "new Albertan" with another provinces flag flying an Albertan. They obviously can not respect this province enough and perhaps need to row their boat home if it's so great back home.
Albertans also seem to have a problem electing Albertans as their government officials. The 3 goons running for the PCs right now were not born in this province. They were not born into our school system or our healthcare system. Our premier should be born and raised here so they are vested completely in this province not just visiting.
There are people here that are here to stay and appreciate what they have. There are however alot of folks "here for a good time not a long time".
There I had my little rant and yes I'm a good old Albertan Redneck and proud of it!
Old 08-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Was in Kimberly had to go to Cliff's meats and load up on jerky and smokies best jerky ever. Nice little town. Stayed at Norbury lakeside cabins the owners are great people. Fished Tie all week. When BC is so close why stay in Alberta.........lol. Already planning next trip

Mack
PM me,I`ll take you bass fishing.And Cliff does make some fine jerky.Hell of a nice guy too.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:39 AM

I like Omega 50 and Mackinaw's descriptions of an Albertan. Alberta is, afterall; Redneck Wonderland!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iar-d8QhzOs

Last edited by gurumuka; 08-04-2014 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 08-04-2014, 12:29 PM

I've been here 19 years pay taxes here and call this my home. My kids were raised here (not born here) however and they call alberta home.

My son and I fly a Newfie flag on the back of our trucks, not out of disrepect for Alberta we are 5th and 6th generation Newfies while we live here and both love Alberta it's just a little respect to our fore fathers that we also respect their way of life and keep their heritage alive.

I consider this my home and actually feel homesick and miss it when I'm away.
My son took an oath to "Serve and Protect" the fine folks of Calgary. So please don't be offended by a sticker on the back of his truck. The uniform he wears shows that he loves this place enough to put his life on the line every day to protect and serve "Alberta".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgetter View Post
I am a 37 year old fifth generation Albertan. I have spent my whole life identifying myself as such. I am an Albertan first and a Canadian second.
I remember how things were and hope we can get back there for my daughters sake. However I am loosing hope. It's a downward spiral with no end in sight.
Exactly how big do we have to get? We do not have to dig it all up and cut it all down today. Save some for Alberta's children.
As Albertans we need to take more pride in our province and come out of the shadows. My blood boils every time i have to see a an Alberta flag. I can not call a "nefreaking newfie flag on the back of a truck. Why is it that you see more newf flags every day than w Albertan" with another provinces flag flying an Albertan. They obviously can not respect this province enough and perhaps need to row their boat home if it's so great back home.
Albertans also seem to have a problem electing Albertans as their government officials. The 3 goons running for the PCs right now were not born in this province. They were not born into our school system or our healthcare system. Our premier should be born and raised here so they are vested completely in this province not just visiting.
There are people here that are here to stay and appreciate what they have. There are however alot of folks "here for a good time not a long time".
There I had my little rant and yes I'm a good old Albertan Redneck and proud of it!
Old 08-04-2014, 12:31 PM

If I spoted a Scottish flag in my back window would people be offended as well?
Old 08-04-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgetter View Post
As Albertans we need to take more pride in our province and come out of the shadows. My blood boils every time i have to see a freaking newfie flag on the back of a truck. Why is it that you see more newf flags every day than an Alberta flag. I can not call a "new Albertan" with another provinces flag flying an Albertan. They obviously can not respect this province enough and perhaps need to row their boat home if it's so great back home.
So where do I bring the bedsheets, cross and diesel fuel? Are you the Kleagle in your area?

Sorry Canadian First, Albertan second.... My father was born here, my grandfather was born here did his service in WW2, and my great grandfather was born here (before it was Alberta) and did his service in WW1, and the Boer War, then before that was my great great grandfather who moved here from Red River....

BTW how are you a 5th generation Albertan.... maybe you need to read history Alberta was born in 1905...

No matter who we are we have all come from somewhere else.... or our ancestor's have....

Now on my grandmother's side.... that is aboriginal.... so who really is an Albertan?
Old 08-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Gone Hunting

I've been in Alberta since 2001. It has changed a lot in that time.

The Albertan and Canadian problems are the same. It's not that the newcomers are here , it's that the newcomers try to turn their new place into their old place pretty quickly.

While the old ways, may not have been perfect, it's hard to see much positive in the new stuff.

People should realize that this is Alberta, not Quebec, or B.C. or Manitoba, or Manila or Hong Kong or Peru, or Mexico. If that's what you're looking for, quit whining and call your travel agent.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand