Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2020, 05:49 PM

from personal experience in the back country keep a can of bear spray beside you in case someone pulls in front of you and wants your truck more than you do. Also a big dog who barks lots helps.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
from personal experience in the back country keep a can of bear spray beside you
in case someone pulls in front of you and wants your truck more than you do. Also a big dog
who barks lots helps.
Just a thought..

"In Canada, pepper spray—carried for the intention of personal protection—is considered a prohibited weapon
by the Criminal Code, so it’s illegal. Bear spray, carried for the intention of protecting yourself against a
bear attack, is legal—although if you use it on a person, you can be charged with using a weapon"
Old 01-04-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Just a thought..

"In Canada, pepper spray—carried for the intention of personal protection—is considered a prohibited weapon
by the Criminal Code, so it’s illegal. Bear spray, carried for the intention of protecting yourself against a
bear attack, is legal—although if you use it on a person, you can be charged with using a weapon"
Yes I have heard that also but being found in the ditch or using bear spray that is the question. I think you can use dog spray or wasp killer. In my case the guy was more afraid of my friendly choc lab who barks lots.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:41 PM

I carry a plastic tote with:

sleeping bag
candles & lighter
tow strap
a pair of felt pac winter boots
parka
spare gloves & mitts
hi viz safety vest
booster cables
first aid kit

always have a metal shovel in the box of the truck
Old 01-05-2020, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Just a thought..

Well let's just hope that you don't let your family from following the rules.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:35 AM

The Son in Law got himself in a pickle during hunting season, and called me for an extraction...... I bloody well lost my mind when I realized he didn’t have even the barest of a survival kit....
So as the wise old guy I built him the start of an extraction/survival kit.

Traction mats
3/8” chain
Tow strap
Shackles
Jerry can
Tarp
Shop wipes
WW juice
Shovel

For myself
I carry all of the above all the time, plus booster cables, axe, Swede saw, tools, air compressor, gloves, toque, foil blanket, flashlight, snacks, matches, lighters, road flares, candle, AB #2 First Aid Kit, machete, ratchet straps, bungee cords, lug nut key, Snow brush. And probably a bunch of other stuff too.

If I’m purposely going off the beaten path there’s a 8000lb receiver mount winch, two dry boxes with slings, chains, shackles, snatch blocks, cable p-line, and the like that get loaded up.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-05-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Well let's just hope that you don't let your family from following the rules.
"Just a thought" was not to be confused with "Spray it as a first resort"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Just a thought..