Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-23-2020, 11:45 AM

Default seems odd

That feeding wildlife in a park you will get huge fine, feeding wildlife else where in province is highly discouraged due to fact that it will habituate animals to think that humans equal food and create unsafe and unhealthy (spread disease) situations for the wildlife.

https://www.alberta.ca/human-wildlif...-overview.aspx

But you can feed bears! So would the bears that are feed but not killed not be habituated to correlate humans with being feed?
Old 10-23-2020, 12:02 PM
Banned

Trail cams and lighted nocks are frowned upon in different jurisdictions
Old 10-23-2020, 12:02 PM

I'm from a province that allows the baiting of deer. I don't understand how some guys can get so upset about putting out some grain for the deer. Are these the same guys that put out several 45 gallon drums of grease, donuts & beaver carcasses to attract a bear that has'nt had a decent meal in 6 months and is walking around waiting for the bush to green up?
Old 10-23-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye guy View Post
That feeding wildlife in a park you will get huge fine, feeding wildlife else where in province is highly discouraged due to fact that it will habituate animals to think that humans equal food and create unsafe and unhealthy (spread disease) situations for the wildlife.

https://www.alberta.ca/human-wildlif...-overview.aspx

But you can feed bears! So would the bears that are feed but not killed not be habituated to correlate humans with being feed?
Feeding bears and baiting bears is not the same. Feeding bears in your backyard or your neighbourhood or parks is habituating them where they will become a nuisance. Baiting them in the outback, far away from urban centers, will not cause them to be a nuisance bear.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Feeding bears and baiting bears is not the same. Feeding bears in your backyard or your neighbourhood or parks is habituating them where they will become a nuisance. Baiting them in the outback, far away from urban centers, will not cause them to be a nuisance bear.
Agreed.

Not to mention that every effort is made to not let the bear know you are there.

I don't see how that would habituate any bear.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-23-2020, 01:49 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubs11 View Post
I'm from a province that allows the baiting of deer. I don't understand how some guys can get so upset about putting out some grain for the deer. Are these the same guys that put out several 45 gallon drums of grease, donuts & beaver carcasses to attract a bear that has'nt had a decent meal in 6 months and is walking around waiting for the bush to green up?
It's called virtue Signalling.

I think we all do it one way or another.

For example, I know leaving bales in a field will attract wildlife and I have taken advantage of that fact at times. Since I don't farm and didn't place those bales there I see nothing wrong with that. But if a talk about that hunt I never mention the bales, because I did not break any laws by taking advantage of them being there.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-23-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Agreed.

Not to mention that every effort is made to not let the bear know you are there.

I don't see how that would habituate any bear.
I have never hunted bears nor do I want to at this time ,but I thought that bear baiters made lots of noise when filling bait stations so the bears know that the food has been replenished and will come in to feed shortly after, and hunters can use that to their advantage and set up for a hunt after.
How is this making every effort ? And how far do baits have to be from a residence if they are close could this not pose a problem?
Old 10-23-2020, 02:08 PM

If I remember correctly baits have to be one mile from any Resident

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
If I remember correctly baits have to be one mile from any Resident

Correct, unless an owner or occupant of the dwelling, or authorized written permission from the owners or occupants of that dwelling.
Page 36 of the regs
Old 10-23-2020, 02:19 PM

Correction: Page 56 of the regs
Old 10-23-2020, 02:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye guy View Post
I have never hunted bears nor do I want to at this time ,but I thought that bear baiters made lots of noise when filling bait stations so the bears know that the food has been replenished and will come in to feed shortly after, and hunters can use that to their advantage and set up for a hunt after.
How is this making every effort ? And how far do baits have to be from a residence if they are close could this not pose a problem?
Some do, some don't The ones I've helped that made noise did so to frighten any bear in the area so they wouldn't run into each other.

The last thing a hunter wants when packing a load of food is a face to face encounter with a hungry bear at close quarters.

Bears will defend their food supply and they will charge when startled, even ones that would not normally charge.

Any time I've set on a bait the Bears didn't return till long after everything went silent. Even a twig rubbing against a pant leg could send them running for cover.

It's common practice to set out bait barrels and not return for days, so the bears get used to visiting those baits with no human or human scent around.

Only after they get used to visiting the baits does an experienced hunter set up too hunt.

Too much activity too soon can ruin a good bait site.

The less noise one makes when going in to hunt a bait, the better that hunters chances are.
The last thing you want is for the bear to know you are there.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-23-2020, 02:43 PM

Obviously the worst part of all the deer baits and use of them is no one knows what they are spreading[and it appears that no one cares]. The Chinese mailed a lot of folks seeds this summer and the big concern was what seeds did they get. Same for me on these deer baits as a land owner I don't want them spread anywhere within a couple provinces of me as they may have obnoxious and yield threatening plants. That and the fact I had a CO show up at my door to inquire about baiting going on on my land, I have zero tolerance for people who use it.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Some do, some don't The ones I've helped that made noise did so to frighten any bear in the area so they wouldn't run into each other.

The last thing a hunter wants when packing a load of food is a face to face encounter with a hungry bear at close quarters.

Bears will defend their food supply and they will charge when startled, even ones that would not normally charge.

Any time I've set on a bait the Bears didn't return till long after everything went silent. Even a twig rubbing against a pant leg could send them running for cover.

It's common practice to set out bait barrels and not return for days, so the bears get used to visiting those baits with no human or human scent around.

Only after they get used to visiting the baits does an experienced hunter set up too hunt.

Too much activity too soon can ruin a good bait site.

The less noise one makes when going in to hunt a bait, the better that hunters chances are.
The last thing you want is for the bear to know you are there.
We used to use 2in 1out trick ,not talking just normal baiting noise hunter would get in stand while i baited ,most times i would get about a mile away and the bear was back and dead most times.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Look who's baiting now lol. Maybe you're not a troll?

Black bear baiting is common, more common than not probably. From tree stands and blinds using barrels filled with bear attracting food, beaver carcasses being the number 1 bait. It's legal, no one is a bozo for hunting within the law. Bozos harass and are abusive towards hunters.
Call it legal or whatever you want but don't call it hunting. Hunting is about respect and fair chase. Hiding, ambush and baiting are a cowards reaction to the sport of hunting and give it a bad name. But carry on. The tale of the tape will be in your grand kids and their comments on this previous practice.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukongold View Post
Call it legal or whatever you want but don't call it hunting. Hunting is about respect and fair chase. Hiding, ambush and baiting are a cowards reaction to the sport of hunting and give it a bad name. But carry on. The tale of the tape will be in your grand kids and their comments on this previous practice.
So hiding in blind somewhere gives hunting a bad name?
Old 10-23-2020, 04:22 PM

In Alaska they used to be able to use planes and fly and land and shoot Grizzlies and kodiaks and anything else they wanted. Just because the government says it's legal are illegal it doesn't mean it's right, but as of now it is legal to do in Alberta and I did it for many years you can hunt the way you want but if it's legal it's legal. No need to knock us hunters that are legally hunting

Old 10-23-2020, 04:40 PM

The above comments is what causes issues among hunters and makes us look bad. How one perceives hunting. If we judge among ourselves...imagine what the antis must think. Very smart bunch we are...
Old 10-23-2020, 04:52 PM

35 Whelan, you couldn’t be more correct. If baiting is legal and that is the way you want to hunt go for it. If it is not legal and you do it then be prepared to be fined when caught. This whole argument around baiting ethics could also be applied to fishing, where legal bait helps in my opinion. Would I use it where prohibited, no way! We as hunters sure seem to nitpick each other because we may not agree with how others go about their hunt, if it’s legal let others do what they want, if illegal then report them.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:18 PM

I agree we are our own worst enemies when we judge each other by our own ideals, if people aren't breaking the law while hunting let them be.
However even though there is no law against feeding wildlife outside of our parks, solely for the purpose only to look at them, this I think is never a good idea and does more harm than good to these animals.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
So how exactly does one not hunt like a coward if hiding and ambushing are a big no no?
Old 10-23-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSteel View Post
So how exactly does one not hunt like a coward if hiding and ambushing are a big no no?
With a spear.

Grizz
Old 10-23-2020, 06:06 PM

Always wondered. If a farmed spills some grain or leaves bales in his field it is legal to for others to hunt over this. So if same farm gathers up all the apples from under his trees because the coyotes are coming into his yard and he dumps them in a coulee or in the bushes is it legal for someone else to hunt over them?
Old 10-23-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSteel View Post
You have to poke the bear first?
Old 10-23-2020, 08:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
With a spear.

Grizz
No spears, no bows, no arrows, only tooth and claw are allowed.

That's natures way. Nature also has no seasons, no limits, no banned practices.

Wolves, Lynx, Coyote and Fox, use ambush, hiding, which is in fact ambush, and yes, even baiting. And that's okay. but for us to do it isn't.

Who says that?

I smell a rat.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-23-2020, 08:37 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
Always wondered. If a farmed spills some grain or leaves bales in his field it is legal to for others to hunt over this. So if same farm gathers up all the apples from under his trees because the coyotes are coming into his yard and he dumps them in a coulee or in the bushes is it legal for someone else to hunt over them?
If he spilled it, no problem, if he dumped it, you take a huge chance hunting anywhere near it.

If he dumped it in the bush, and you hunt over or near it, you should think about trying golf.

Impossible to prove it wasn't deliberate. Impossible to prove you didn't do it.

A spill looks like a spill, a dump looks like, well you know. , , , , , ,

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-23-2020, 08:41 PM

Default grain piles

I sure hope no one kills a deer or elk on the 100 or so bushels of tough barley I augered into the bush near Delburne. Was too wet to send to dryer so got dumped. Maybe I should go check LOL
Old 10-23-2020, 08:57 PM
Banned

Baiting ungulates in Alberta is illegal

Boone and Crockett could care less if you are ears deep in a corn pile when you shoot the deer so long as it was done lawfully.

Do I think it will give you an advantage? It depends who you are. If you are willing to dedicate yourself and are willing to put in the time it would probably work out well for you.

I have heard the argument during bear season and the comfort in getting a solid identification of the animal is a good point, this is actually the first time I think that I’ve considered the safety aspect of getting a mile back in the woods but you can do that with or without a bait pile too so I guess it’s a moot point.

Find their food, find their bed, then concentrate on travel routes. During the rut bucks follow travel routes to go long distances, they seem to stick to the same travel routes every year. If you put in enough time down wind of a travel route it’ll work out well for you too.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattery1 View Post
I sure hope no one kills a deer or elk on the 100 or so bushels of tough barley I augered into the bush near Delburne. Was too wet to send to dryer so got dumped. Maybe I should go check LOL
If it were mine, I would pack a rifle, could be a bear feeding on it. I might have to defend myself.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-23-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
We here at AOF don’t belittle methods used by hunters, as long as they are legal. The government sets the legislation regarding hunting over bait. If you’re that opposed to it, take it up with your MLA. I will only tell you this once! Stop with the slandering of legal hunters using legal methods to hunt.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:22 PM

Maybe pushing bush or road hunting is all that’s left then?
Too funny,

TBark