Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-04-2014, 06:41 AM
AO Sponsor

What a stupid law.

We all hunted alone when we were 16, many of us hunted alone before that age even. The world didn't end then and that was before any of these training courses came along. Don't fix what ain't broke... Obviously!

The anti-gun people come up with a new way to restrict us sportsman and look how many sportsmen support them. Very sad.

So what is the point of these stupid minors permits?
Old 11-04-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasky View Post
This was a hot topic around my house today and I'm just wondering how other hunters feel about it. My boy is 16 and really wanted to go hunting today, but circumstances prevent me from just going at the drop of a hat. He has done all the courses and is a responsible young man but the law is what it is. I know that teens can be irresponsible with a lack of adult supervision but I can say that about a lot of adults too. How do other members here feel about the 18 age limit.
It's STUPID. As a kid I hunted solo quite a bit starting at 14. Never was a problem for my friends and I.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:09 AM
Banned

Stated bird hunting alone with my German Shorthaired Pointer as soon as I got my drivers licience at 16, and see nothing wrong with that!

In this day and age, we coddle children until they are in their 20's. We have become an overprotective and over regulated country with WAY TOO MANY RULES AND REGULATIONS!.

Oh Canada, please take care of and protect me because I can't manage on my own! Geezeeeeeee
Old 11-04-2014, 07:55 AM

Should be the other way around. 14 year olds are not known for patience. Bow hunting requires a lot more patience than rifle while waiting for a perfect angle to release the arrow. Thinking a lot of youth may (pardon the pun) jump the gun while waiting for the right arrow shot, resulting in more questionable ethical shots. IMO.
Therefore, I think bow hunting should require the 18 age limit before rifle.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca Dog View Post
It's STUPID. As a kid I hunted solo quite a bit starting at 14. Never was a problem for my friends and I.

Agreed. Bowhunted on my own lots from 14 on.
My kids will be ready to hunt when there 12 and probably before. I kinda of lean towards kids being able to hunt under their parents tags at anytime up until 12 then having their own after.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
My kids will be ready to hunt when there 12 and probably before. I kinda of lean towards kids being able to hunt under their parents tags at anytime up until 12 then having their own after.
X2

Here is my 11yr old girl shooting my wife's 6.5 this evening sitting and off the bipod.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-04-2014, 06:56 PM

I'm 15 and really wish I could rifle hunt alone. I see why the law is in place due to many irresponsible teenagers. I also think there is way more full grown men hunting that would be a lot more irresponsible than kids my age. Opening up hunting on your own to 14 year olds could be a bad or good thing.