Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2016, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Grounds Coffee View Post
Wow some of the responses are as presumptuous as it gets. As stated earlier speeding does not necessarily mean your a bad driver. Especially since you can get pulled over for going as little as 15 km/h over the limit. And we all know the speed limits are way too way low and going anywhere from 20-30km/h over a speed limit isn't necessarily dangerous either. Don't tell me you haven't gone 130 on highway 2 to Calgary...see what I'm saying?
Nothing worse than some driver doing 130 on highway 2. Especially when they're plugging up the left lane.

Oh relax everyone. Just having fun.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
He said he was speeding. Nothing about being a bad driver.

If you're a bad driver...then yeah...turn in your licence.
No kidding... It's like he mowed down an entire class of pre-school kids, and a family of ducklings simultaneously.

He got some speeding tickets. And by the sounds of it (3 tickets totaling 10 demerits), nothing major.

Who honestly doesn't speed? I consider myself to be a pretty decent driver, and if I got caught for EVERY time I exceeded the limit, I would have racked up more than 10 demerits this week alone.

Sometimes you just get unlucky. Wrong place, wrong time, maybe passing someone on the highway cresting a hill with a cop sitting on the shoulder. **** happens, no need to burn the guy at the stake because of it.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Nothing worse than some driver doing 130 on highway 2. Especially when they're plugging up the left lane.

Oh relax everyone. Just having fun.
Hahaha yup. Some lead foots I know are the best drivers. Beats the herky jerky drivers who indecision causes problems.
Ok driving too fast is dangerous. But a lot of assumptions being made about the OP
Old 06-14-2016, 10:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Wow some of the responses are as presumptuous as it gets. As stated earlier speeding does not necessarily mean your a bad driver. Especially since you can get pulled over for going as little as 15 km/h over the limit. And we all know the speed limits are way too way low and going anywhere from 20-30km/h over a speed limit isn't necessarily dangerous either. Don't tell me you haven't gone 130 on highway 2 to Calgary or 100 on parts of the yellow head where its only 80 (Assuming your from edmonton)...see what I'm saying?
At some point you had to realize "one more ticket and I lose my license" - then you crossed the barrier. You're getting pulled over by the police, not photo radar. It's not about dangerous driving. Something in your head should have said slow down, only one chance left?

How many photo radar tickets have you gotten?
Old 06-14-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Wow some of the responses are as presumptuous as it gets. As stated earlier speeding does not necessarily mean your a bad driver. Especially since you can get pulled over for going as little as 15 km/h over the limit. And we all know the speed limits are way too way low and going anywhere from 20-30km/h over a speed limit isn't necessarily dangerous either. Don't tell me you haven't gone 130 on highway 2 to Calgary or 100 on parts of the yellow head where its only 80 (Assuming your from edmonton)...see what I'm saying?
Obviously you still have a lot of maturing to do. Because you feel the speed limit is to slow for your liking you think you aren't putting lives at risk by speeding? I pray that you lose it for longer then 30 days. I also believe that with a GDL if you get more then two tickets it don't matter how many demerits they can suspend your licence.

The difference in the impact of hitting someone at 60km or 80km is a lot more then you realize. Limits are made for the safety of everyone.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:18 PM

Sounds to me like he broke the law and now has to take his lumps, bad driver or not he got caught breaking the law! Slow down and drive accordingly and you wouldn't be in this predicament. Speed limits are too low, maybe but they are posted on every road for a reason. Don't abide by the rules, and now you're looking for a way out! Hope it works out for you but driving is a privilege not a right. My brother is that guy and I have never felt sorry for him!
Old 06-14-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
You only get demerits once you are found guilty. Right now those demerits have not been applied to your license which is why you are still driving. Take a defensive driving course, get the 3 demerits taken off, and pay the ticket after. Then you'll still be in the clear.

And slow down.
Yep!
Old 06-15-2016, 12:01 AM

Plead not-guilty take the chance the cop doesn't show up (happens a lot) have a bit of a defense in case the cop does show up and you want to defend. Best bet show up at court and before the case you will speak with the crown prosecutor, he may offer a reduced penalty to plead guilty. Ask if the cop showed up, if not case dismissed, if so take the plea deal before trail.

Oh before I get flamed, slow down from now on!!
Old 06-15-2016, 05:15 AM

Go to the court house asap and offer to pay right away and ask them to waive the demerits. A young co-worker was a regular at Rocky Mtn Courthouse and they accomodated him after telling him off.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:21 AM

Your future insurance premiums are going to be a killer, another reason that you might want to change your driving habits now, rather than later. And I hope I don't sound condescending, because I've been there too.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Well I can't exactly be without a vehicle for a month. So I'm going to do what I can to avoid it.
You obviously drive like an idiot, you've established that, so buck up and call a traffic lawyer instead of coming on a forum and asking for help in skirting the law, and expecting to get sympathetic answers.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Three tickets in one year is easy to get, if you maintain an attitude that the speed limits are too low. As you have learned, actions have consequences. Your opinions on speed limits matter not in the slightest. Speed Limits are reality and you MUST accept them, or get burnt badly. Your vehicle insurance is going to be massive with 3 speeding convictions in one year. They may cancel your insurance. Getting rid of demerits with a course won't erase the conviction, and won't prevent your insurance company from their actions.

But, enough preaching. I would NOT plead guilty to this third offense. You really have nothing to gain or lose if it is a minor offense (less than 30 Km. over).

The penalty is fixed and can't be increased for a minor offense, regardless of what the ticket may "suggest" (voluntary payment option).

What you should do is take note of the appearance date on the ticket and go in person and plead Not Guilty to The First Appearance Justice. (Simply mailing the ticket in with a Not Guilty plea and waiting for a court date might work, or you may not receive the court date due to a screw-up on their part.)

The Justice will hand you a court date on the spot which will likely be 6 to 8 months (or more) in the future. The downside is that you must get to the office as early as possible in the morning, before it even opens, or you will be there for hours and hours. (A little game to wear you down.)

Once you have the court date, wait until about 10 weeks before your trial date and submit a detailed disclosure request. (Research this, too much to describe.) Submitting it early simply gives them more time to play games, and perhaps amend your charges to something more serious (within 6 months of being charged.) Also, tipping them off early gives the police officers advance notice to try to recall as much as possible information about you and any other details that you might ask them to recall. Do NOT use the photocopied non-form that they might hand you. You don't have to, and it allows them to just hand you very little information, which might deprive you of critical information which you need.

As has been said, one of the officer(s) may not show up, with two officers being required to appear for a tag-team sting. (Operator of Lidar or Radar, and Issuer of Offense Notice.)

Also, the Operator may not have received actual training on a new Lidar or Radar unit. (Your specific Disclosure Requests will reveal the make and model.) Through questioning him on the stand, you can find this out. As well, the Officers will have probably written hundreds of tickets by the time that you go to court. They MUST retain an Independent Recollection of you, your vehicle, your estimated speed (Operator), and anything significant and obvious like body damage, passengers, a large payload or camper in a pickup, etc. Obviously, they can't, after 8 or more moths. Nobody could. And, through your disclosure, you will have their notes, which very probably will say nothing about these things (Not enough time to write it all down, too busy with harvesting speeders.)

So, many defenses exist, if you are determined and put the effort in to research it all. And, at the least you can possibly delay conviction and demerits until you pay your next insurance, if that helps. And, if you lose in court (With at least a token defense) all that you pay is the original fine. (For a minor speeding offense.)

Finally, make your own decisions on what is best for you. People who tell you to just "Take your medicine like a man",and other such nonsense, don't have to pay the fine or your insurance. You do. You have a Charter right to defend yourself and to your day in court, innocent or guilty.

Last edited by Dead Mule; 06-15-2016 at 06:24 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:24 AM
Banned

With all the hero's and superman in Alberta it makes me wonder how there is even any crime? OP, go to points and have them deal with your tickets, it'll cost you $$ but they will get the points tossed out. And OP, standing by while tyranny takes place does not make you a man, looking Tyranny in the face before you punch it in the nose is what makes you a man, something many in this thread are lacking in.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:32 AM
Banned

As having been suspended a few times myself, I am chuckling while reading this thread. I believe I may have the heaviest foot on this forum. My last suspension was when I was 19, 8 years ago. One thing I learned, you do the crime, you do the time.

If you happen to get suspended, watch out for the transportation safety board. You will have to have a hearing with them to make sure you are not a psychopath with a mission to break the sound barrier. I don't hold grudges for anyone but those three board members. They made me do drivers training again when I was 19 just to get my license back. I had been driving since I was 12.

At that time, there was nothing I could do to fight the demerits. I think they are harder on GDL drivers.

Good luck. Get a radar detector if you have speed issues. I don't have one, but I should.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:36 AM
Banned

I am against the ideology of pleading not guilty when you are guilty. Should we be condoning lying to the judge?
Old 06-15-2016, 06:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
Instead of trying to dodge what's coming to you take it like a man, learn your lesson and change your driving habits.
Or a woman,

He/she needs to adjust driving habits to fit within the laws.
Asking what if's now is too late regarding what took place but never too late to learn from and move on.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-15-2016, 06:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Well I can't exactly be without a vehicle for a month. So I'm going to do what I can to avoid it.
Well should have thought about the consequences prior to speeding...now you know the consequences, not saying I am innocent of not speeding last time got pulled over was 2008 felt like an arse and the ticket was a kick in the butt too so that being said I drive the speed limits etc can't afford the tickets or at least hate paying them and love to have the privilidge of driving. Makes my hobbies easier can't imagine the boat trailer strapped to my back as I go for a day of fishing...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-15-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
With all the hero's and superman in Alberta it makes me wonder how there is even any crime? OP, go to points and have them deal with your tickets, it'll cost you $$ but they will get the points tossed out. And OP, standing by while tyranny takes place does not make you a man, looking Tyranny in the face before you punch it in the nose is what makes you a man, something many in this thread are lacking in.
Tyranny? That's hilarious.
This is not a case of somebody spreading anti government propaganda in a country run by a dictator, it is a case of someone caught speeding and getting a licence suspension .
Something they know they did.
Cat
Old 06-15-2016, 07:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Your halo is blinding me.
Beauty, I'll have to remember that one!
Old 06-15-2016, 07:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
I am against the ideology of pleading not guilty when you are guilty. Should we be condoning lying to the judge?
You are entitled to your day in court.

You are entitled to a defense, guilty or innocent.

You do NOT have to testify if you don't want to, and can still win on an officer no-show or other prosecution foul-up.

In the end, we live in an unjust world in many ways. I have no qualms in exploiting court weaknesses, just as governments and bad laws have no qualms in exploting and victimizing me, in many instances.
(And, that doesn't have anything to do with traffic laws, necessarily.)

As a wise man once said: "Whoever told you that life was fair?"

Well, as far as I am concerned, it works both ways.

Last edited by Dead Mule; 06-15-2016 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Well should have thought about the consequences prior to speeding...now you know the consequences, not saying I am innocent of not speeding last time got pulled over was 2008 felt like an arse and the ticket was a kick in the butt too so that being said I drive the speed limits etc can't afford the tickets or at least hate paying them and love to have the privilidge of driving. Makes my hobbies easier can't imagine the boat trailer strapped to my back as I go for a day of fishing...
I drive the speed limit too, because I can afford the tickets and insurance increases less than you. I also drive carefully at all times.

I had not even received a ticket in well over 20 years, when I received one a year ago. Not because I was driving stupidly or willfully in an allegedly illegal manner.

It's just that, by the law of averages, even if you meticulously and scrupulously try to be careful, you may allegedly make a mistake eventually.

The way I felt, because of over 20 years of safe and careful driving, I would have deserved a one-time break anyway, even if a driving error had been allegedly made.

And, thankfully, I did win my case.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Mule View Post
You are entitled to your day in court.

You are entitled to a defense, guilty or innocent.

You do NOT have to testify if you don't want to, and can still win on an officer no-show or other prosecution foul-up.

In the end, we live in an unjust world in many ways. I have no qualms in exploiting court weaknesses, just as governments and bad laws have no qualms in exploting and victimizing me, in many instances.
(And, that doesn't have anything to do with traffic laws, necessarily.)

As a wise man once said: "Whoever told you that life was fair?"

Well, as far as I am concerned, it works both ways.
As much as I am a man of my word in dealing with people, and with businesses, when it comes to the government, who has no issues with using technicalities or deception to take money from people, or to penalize people, I would have no issues using the legal system to avoid giving the government more of my money. Therefore I will use loopholes to avoid paying more taxes, and if necessary, I will use technicalities to fight traffic tickets. The government makes the rules for us to obey, so I see nothing wrong with forcing the government and the authorities to obey their own rules.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:04 AM

I always wondered who those people are that drive exactly 100, and have a line of 50 cars behind them.
Sounds like they're all on the AO.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:05 AM
AO Sponsor

I just got my first speeding ticket in many years last Thursday. Long stretch of 100kph and came up on a guy toddling along well under so I passed him. Not being one for the slow pass I hit passing gear and went around him quickly and came back in. Low and behold, there was a radar trap (which I now am assuming the slower moving fellow saw and that was why he was driving slower) and I got tagged and pulled over for doing 127kph on the pass. I didn't argue because I was speeding to pass quickly and figured I will just deal with it but now I am thinking absout seeing if I can get it reduced. I have an extremely good driving record and think because of the circumstances I might be able to squeeze a little forgiveness out of it with a bit of effort...
Old 06-15-2016, 08:16 AM
Banned

I'm surprised anyone would ask a question like this on this forum with all the self-righteous types on here that are just ready to criticize someone.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Your halo is blinding me.
This I like.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I always wondered who those people are that drive exactly 100, and have a line of 50 cars behind them.
Sounds like they're all on the AO.
I like this too.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:54 AM

Pay now and have the ticket fought professionally. Bad enough the suspension, the higher insurance rates if you get suspended will stick with you for years and the cost is not warranted by the infractions, just a way to rip you for more money. You will already get higher insurance premiums because of the first two tickets, if the insurance company finds them, the suspension will quadruple the increase.

I agree with you Elk11, I have no problem making the government and the cops follow their own rules. Someone getting off a speeding ticket on a loophole doesn't bother me. Most traffic enforcement is about revenue generation, has zip to do with safety. The number of serious violators the courts let off on loopholes tells you the law is an ass already.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:59 AM

If your have nothing but time you can follow these steps:
step 1. go to court and set a court date.
step 2. Delay. Go back before your court date and let them know you can't made the court date they will give you another one.
step 3. Repeat step 2.

If all else fails and you do finally go to court and are found guilty. Ask for a extension on paying the fine. This should waste at least 1 year before the ticket shows up on your record.

Or take the high road and drive 10 below speed limit on the left lane

If you want to fight the ticket go in and ask for a disclosure form. This will give you the cops notes on what happen. Also ask for the cops certification of training, and the maintenance scheduled of the radar they used to see when the gun was last calibrated. Depending on which one they used radar/lazer. Some of the guns need to be calibrated on a daily basis but you would need to look at the manufactures recommendations.

I think that should cover it.

Last edited by ArtG; 06-15-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Pay now and have the ticket fought professionally. Bad enough the suspension, the higher insurance rates if you get suspended will stick with you for years and the cost is not warranted by the infractions, just a way to rip you for more money. You will already get higher insurance premiums because of the first two tickets, if the insurance company finds them, the suspension will quadruple the increase.

I agree with you Elk11, I have no problem making the government and the cops follow their own rules. Someone getting off a speeding ticket on a loophole doesn't bother me. Most traffic enforcement is about revenue generation, has zip to do with safety. The number of serious violators the courts let off on loopholes tells you the law is an ass already.
There is a reason they stand on a hwy and not in school zones. I have yet to see a cop do speed traps in a residential area. Most have a quota to meet..