Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-18-2012, 07:34 PM

$10k is a fly in trophy moose hunt not drive to diy deer and elk hunts. If hunting those two critters without outfitters cost me 10k, I wouldn't need my wife to tune me up. I'd kick my own ar**!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhunter View Post
$10k is a fly in trophy moose hunt not drive to diy deer and elk hunts. If hunting those two critters without outfitters cost me 10k, I wouldn't need my wife to tune me up. I'd kick my own ar**!
he bought all his own equipment new ! Everything! Gun, 10 cameras,range finder everything!etcetc!thats whats funny!he did get a nice 140 "whitetail tho!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwade View Post
he bought all his own equipment new ! Everything! Gun, 10 cameras,range finder everything!etcetc!thats whats funny!he did get a nice 140 "whitetail tho!
No wonder she's mad, I have been hunting for 7 years now, the key is to gradually buy more stuff! Who buys 10 trail cams at once? That's $2500 right there, or more! I still have yet to buy one! I don't agree with the spreadsheet, and I think if he wants to hunt, then he should! But you can't just go blow that much money, and not expect the wife to be mad! Especially on your first season! Break her in easy! Then build up a good inventory of gear!
Old 01-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Banned

i like this guys style....no farting around, just go all out. beauty!!! i see one of two things in the next few years. either some of us will get a smoking deal on some slightly used gear......or this guys is going to show us a pile of critters in short order if he stays that hardcore.

on a sidenote....i dont ever want to know what ive spent in any given year. id hate to think of the lifetime total. of course if i didnt spend it all so wisely making memories, then id have probably blown it on dumb stuff like wives or something.......
Old 01-19-2012, 12:19 AM

I think of hunting and fishing as investments in my good health, my lifelong enthusiasm for the great outdoors, and my never-ending curiosity of all things wild. I'm sure I'll live a longer, more balanced and healthier life due to my participation in hunting and fishing.
Plug that into your spreadsheet honey!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:21 AM

Divorce waiting to happen, as soon as he gets his balls back.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:01 AM

Default yes sir!!!!

Quote:
Now I've never been a person to judge other people and how they live, but when i get involved inadvertenely i have to atleast give my point of view. But this time i am not sure what to do except laugh and tell this forum about it! I brought a freind of mine into hunting this past year, His first year actually hunting, he had to get his pal and hunter's ed course first! He has been along for several hunts in the past and decided he would like to do it himself! I taught him to shoot borrowed him gun,s till he bought 1 basically mentored him! I got him his first deer this year and he was more than pleased! But he wanted an elk so of he went on his own for the last part of november! Well no elk didn't even seen one, been there done that! We made sausage a month ago and his wife came along to watch! I don't know her all to well and she was very abrasive to me the whole day! Now I know why She is an accountant and she kept track of every expense he had right down to the last dime! His deer cost him almost 10 grand!Now I laughed when she handed me a spreadsheet and circle graph of cost breakdown! This thing had lost wages ,gas,food,bullets,game cameras,calls,scents,clothes,tags, etc,etc....! He's not allowed to hunt anymore says she, Funniest story ever!I just had to share this with you
this is why I purchased two houses when I got married! So i could give her one ahead of time....hehehehehe
Old 01-19-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
No wonder she's mad, I have been hunting for 7 years now, the key is to gradually buy more stuff!.....But you can't just go blow that much money, and not expect the wife to be mad!
always more to the story.....how much money do they make? how much of their household income comes from his career vs hers? kids? loans, credit card debt etc.

maybe they cant afford any extras??
Old 01-19-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Now on a side note I now know who wheres the pants! I never understood why he kept every reciept he doesn't have his own business! I am gonna start calling collect see what happens!
Now that would be funny, especially if all conversations were hunting related. On a side note, if you got some 10,00$ wine paired with this delicous sausage, you would have a meal fit for warn buffet.lol
Old 01-19-2012, 09:20 AM

Sure hope he doesnt golf or skidoo.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:27 PM

All I can say is WoW....

he needs his balls back and a new set of breasts at the sink!...
Old 01-19-2012, 01:30 PM

I'd tell her that I have too much invested to quit now! Lets see where this thing goes.
You would have to think that she was against the whole hunting thing from the start though.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:00 PM

Gun with scope $1500.00
Truck for hunting $5000.00
Camo $500.00
Tent for Moose camp $2000.00
Quad for dragging Moose out of bush $6000.00
All associated knick knacks (range finder, bino's, ammo etc.) $1500.00

Slapping a freshly made venison/moose sausage on the bar-b while enjoying a cold brew .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................priceless............. .

Ya can't take it with ya, and it doesn't buy happiness so why not spend it on hunting!!!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:12 PM

My wife insists that I should spend no more than $500 for a deer season. That is tags, gas, lodging and meat prep and bullets.

I just keep a running total on her spa visits, pedicures, lady luncheons and the other crap that she does.

She will confront me if I am over my alotment but does back down when I pull out my running list. She is usually p!ssed but simmers down after a while.

My favorite trick is to by my tags here and there long before the season starts, she seems to miss that trick.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
always more to the story.....how much money do they make? how much of their household income comes from his career vs hers? kids? loans, credit card debt etc.

maybe they cant afford any extras??
Ohhh money is not a problem at there house! No kids he is Big wig for PCL and she is senior partner in accounting firm! They have freedom 45 all planned out! He has never had any hobbies! Now he won't ever!
Old 01-19-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Ohhh money is not a problem at there house! No kids he is Big wig for PCL and she is senior partner in accounting firm! They have freedom 45 all planned out! He has never had any hobbies! Now he won't ever!
knowing this makes it worse.....good lord your buddy needs to grow a set LOL
Old 01-19-2012, 03:24 PM

She is kinda a cross between allan's ex wife from 2 1/2 men and dr frasier crains ex wife and not near as nice looking!Also add darth vader's humour!
Old 01-19-2012, 05:03 PM

She got a nose job $2500/ bo-tox shots $1750/boob job $4500/tummy tuck $3200/then lipo suction $2300.. then she had the nerve to get mad when he got a $20 b___ j__
Old 01-19-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
All I can say is WoW....

he needs his balls back and a new set of breasts at the sink!...
After reading all the great financial stability and what not I think this is the best answer. Were not doing great a single income household and shes in university but, NEVER has she said you cant go hunting cause we cant afford the gas to do it this week
Old 01-19-2012, 05:30 PM

I've thought about it a bit myself and I know that the money that goes into my hunting and fishing adds up. The way I look at it, when you're sitting under a tree at the edge of a clearing and you listen for the nagging....it's not there!
Can't put a price on serenity.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:23 PM

5, 10, or 20 years from now he may resent her far more than he does today!!!!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:08 PM

There is a very simple way to circumvent this problem. Do what I did put a gun in her hand, get her interested, and take her out occasionaly after she gets her first animal she will be hooked for life just like the rest of us and then the costs are null and void.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:39 PM

Default ha ha ha

Im a woman hunter and i hear it all the time from men how it is not really worth hunting the cost and all and i say ok fine u start doing the meat shopping and tell me if it is too expensive to go out and get a deer.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:45 PM

Its a hobby, its supposed to be expensive. it keeps a guy from going crazy. the end. sorry wife!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:53 AM

I think this is great! SRD and other stakeholder groups need to be aware of this example when reviewing the upcoming outfitter allotment reviews. Everyone seems to think that more $$$ are spent on a $5000 outfitted deer hunt through an outfitter. There is far more $$$ generated through resident hunting such as this case! SRD needs to understand this and not decrease opportunity to the residents ie proposed sheep changes
Old 01-20-2012, 12:20 PM

Whoever said this guy should kick his own arse is full of himself. Everybody has to start somewhere.

I have spent about 5k in the last couple of years pursuing this hobby and still haven't killed a thing.

This guy had done well for himself, and his wife is a C*NT!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:47 PM

Any hobby or sport costs money! Sledding, quadding, horses, golf, hockey, bowling, collecting stamps! My Salmon fishing trips are around $4000 when it's all totalled up, go buy salmon at costco....way cheaper. But who cares!!! It's all about the trip, or the hunt, getting out with nature, enjoying yourself no matter what the (insert hobby here) is. You'll drive yourself nuts and never leave the house if you calculate the costs on everything. Do they have kids in sports? How expensive is that? Do a pie chart for the costs of having a kid in hockey, who never makes the NHL... no return on your investment there! It's not always about the money, but if it is, and you can't afford to do something, then just don't do it I guess.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:07 PM

I just realized how much I love my wife
Old 01-20-2012, 01:18 PM

This I'd why I don't have a wife. Lol
I'd be scared to add up how much I spend on hunting every year.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:09 PM

The sausage is just the souvenir from the vacation. Maybe a set of antlers too. If it was all about the cost of the meat, It'd be cheaper off to just go buy it at The Keg. Hunting is about the experience and there have been some years when I didn't pull the trigger at all and I considered the season a big success.

Some people don't hunt but I wonder how much that Las Vegas buffet costs, when you factor it all in.