Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-17-2022, 08:07 PM

I tend to prefer light rifles. If they are in your hands all day and I’m the bush, I find a heavy or long rifles annoying. On the side of a pack going up a mountain, I could care less whether it’s 6 or 9 lbs.

I have a 7 saum I look forward to using this year. It’s got a 20” barrel and I am a fan of the ballistics. There are some retailers selling high end 7saum rifle that will sell you brass and dies with the rifle. I’m shooting something much less fancy, a M7.
Old 06-18-2022, 09:32 AM

I just went through the same process. Brass can be found, bullets can be found. I found 6.5 PRC brass then found 7 Saum brass. Ended up selling the PRC brass and I am building a 7 Saum...I just shipped my components to the gunsmith yesterday, should have it back in a month or so.

IMO - sell your rem mag and build a Saum or if you want to keep your Rem Mag build a 6.5 PRC. But i wouldn't have 7 rm and 7 saum to save a pound in weight.

...bottom line, you can find components if you look hard enough.
Old 06-18-2022, 04:35 PM

If you like your platform of the 7rm you have you can get it rebarrelled for 7 saum and be able to seat heavy bullets out further. More of a long range idea than anything but it's an option.

I have a 7 and 300 saum. They both work great, I hunt with the 300 and scoped it's in at 8 lbs. I like it, one day I may change it up but it dropped my moose two years ago no problem. Lots of 300 saum brass out there you can neck down. But there are more suppliers making 7 saum brass now.