Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-05-2010, 08:52 PM

Aaahhhh damn. i moved from southern ontario to get away from these dirty buggers. they're worse than the ravens over there. Working at a campground as a teenager we "disposed" of many that were 25lbs plus. Nasty little buggers when you get them cornered in a small trailer.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:27 AM

has anyone else got any pictures...I am surprised by this link, I have lived in Alberta all my life and I have never seen or heard of a raccoon in AB...on TV they are always the fun animal, but in real life they are a pain in the butt.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:25 AM

Hey Dave did you call the 6 you shot or just happened upon them? Thats a lot coons sinse ive only seen one on my way to Wainwright great big sucker crossing the hiway in front of me.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:43 PM

i seen a dead one near morningside in 1990,
seen four or five in while tenting in cypress hills campground summer of 2009.
would like to leak one as well
ackley abe...'first alberta raccoon'
tee hee!!

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 03-06-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorzedge View Post
hey just seen an shot my first ab raccon at home here this evening thought these werent suppose to be in alberta especially northern around glendon area.
My parents live in Glendon. What's your last name?
Old 03-07-2010, 07:16 AM

While I've never seen a live one in this area, I have had several people show me dead ones....and I got this trail cam pic just north of my house 3 years ago. I have also seen tracks several times.....

Old 03-08-2010, 01:05 PM

Cool pic Bushmaster.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=spot and stock;526908]I think this guy makes book. Shot him last year, think he was living in an old truck.[/QUOTE

There are lots in your area. A buddy of mine who live right in Priddis had several of them in yard.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:08 PM

[QUOTE=BowhuntAB;529943]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spot and stock View Post
I think this guy makes book. Shot him last year, think he was living in an old truck.[/QUOTE

There are lots in your area. A buddy of mine who live right in Priddis had several of them in yard.
They follow the creek. Every year we see a couple. One night we had two running down the driveway in the headlights. Who is your buddy?
Old 03-08-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorr View Post
Hey Dave did you call the 6 you shot or just happened upon them? Thats a lot coons sinse ive only seen one on my way to Wainwright great big sucker crossing the hiway in front of me.
they were living on old farmyards along the river valley at the one place there was a mom and 4 little ones(got 3).At another yard we seen 2 got one . last one was at neighbours was living under an old bailer. pretty well happend apon them. they seem to like the old farm yards or old buildings. according to the warden there is getting to be more and more around?
Old 03-08-2010, 03:32 PM

The coons are definately a breed of distruction, curious and bold buggers but lets keepem to a zero tolerance level an Alberta coon free as much as possible. Talked to my brother in BC an they are nothin but a nuisance down there. If only they would allow coonhound running of coons here; was on one in saskatchewan a few years back, definaately a uinique experience. The hounds just treed it never killed it but was dispatched with a .410.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:29 PM

predatorzedge:
It is legal to hunt raccoons with hounds here in Alberta. You just can't hunt them at night ( the best time to find them away from their roosts).

I suspect this is because coon hunting at night would set a presedent for night shooting that ASRD is not willing to entertain at this time.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:19 PM

I've trapped dozens of them years ago back east. They're not overly hard to catch. Mainly used cubby-hole sets with either brush or 5 gal. plastic pails, baited with a can of sardines fronted with a 220 conibear. I've also caught a few in footholds (#1.75 coilsprings), with the pans wrapped in tin foil and set on a slide in about 4" of water. Curiosity usually gets the better of them. I miss the buggers.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:38 PM

Default Raccoons in Alberta

9 years ago we were living on the north side of the Highwood River very close to High River and I shot 6 raccoons....in the tack room of our barn. What a mess, they had eaten through some our leather saddle straps and spread tack all over the floor. I turned one into a mini bear skin rug, did a full head mount just to remind me to keep things well locked.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:22 PM

thanks Y. Eldon, I have him pegged in a 40acre parcel of brush some thick and some sparse birch an poplar. Got the camera out with 10 cans of tuna an a can of sardines. 2 cans on ground and the juice smeared on the tree up to 7 ft where an ice cream pail is hung to it. Once I get him goin to it I will try my hound again shes only 13weeks old now but when i shot the first coon she went nuts. Think I got this coon itch now an am gonna chase them down now haha. Anyone know where they usually hole up during the day, on ground holes or trees. Couple old barns within 1/4 mile but nothin in them so far. Thanks again for the info.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:06 AM

I shot this guy near the Forks in 2004 on a archery antelope hunt. His buddy had been run over and this guy was trying to drag him off the road. Funny thing is a farmer come by, seen us taking pictures and was soooo happy we killed one that we got permission to hunt another huge ranch. The spring before the farmer told us a couple got into his new RV and spent the winter there...needless to say it was a write off.
Ive also seen a few dead ones ( road kill) along the golf course in Chestermere and alond the river valley in Carsland as well.
Coon-Killer.JPG
Old 03-09-2010, 12:35 PM

thats a dandy ya got there, ya get him mounted?
Old 03-09-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
predatorzedge thats a dandy ya got there, ya get him mounted?
Nope...I skinned the smelly SOB that afternoon on the river and left it that night under my truck to dry and she was MIA in the morning.

For what it's worth, WSS has coon hats for about $15.00.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meredith View Post
Check out page 59 of the 2009 hunting regs. They are listed under Other Animals that "may be hunted, but not trapped (see trapping regs), without a licence throughout the province, at all times of the year."
Interesting...

This document says. "The Alberta Wildlife Act classifies the raccoon as a non-game mammal. Raccoons may be hunted without a licence using a gun or trap at any time of year. A hunter can be the landowner or occupant of the land or a person authorized by the owner or occupant to hunt on that land."

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex847
Old 03-09-2010, 04:17 PM

found this little guy eating garbageone day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coon resize.jpg (35.0 KB, 186 views)
Old 03-09-2010, 04:42 PM

Spot and stock your justa coon slayer! Congrats budd. I sure hope i can run into one of these little buggers. I would love to get one mounted.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:03 AM

Default Saw one yesterday

Saw a dead raccoon on the highway on the Athabasca river bridge North of Blue Ridge(near Whitecourt) yesterday morning. It was pretty mangled and the ravens were on it but someone picked it up later in the day.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:45 AM

I never thought we had so many raccoons in Alberta as the sightings an such keep gettin reported on hear. Athathabasca river aint to far from me either few hours but not to far. just waitin to see if I can catch this second one on camera. Hope he likes tuna lol.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:34 PM

Default Alberta Coon's

Saw two in Drum last year early archery. Getting to my blind driving down a lease road and there it was running down the middle, tried to get it, but it veered off into the wheat.
On a different note, moved from Ontario 4 years ago, did a lot of coon hunting with my late, (recently), bluetick. Our biggest was 34lbs and was darn near as big as the dog.
If the pic works I'll include it..
Sorry about the size, tried to resize it with the wife's damn MAC. Stupid thing.
Enjoy,
Tullfan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg done.jpg (185.8 KB, 156 views)
Old 03-10-2010, 11:24 PM

very nice pic, dog seemed to enjoy it. sounds like a person will do the hound on coons more in Alberta, seems more around than what was expected. Same as cougars been one spotted 3 times in last month up here.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:05 AM

Seen one on my deck eating my garbage in Sherwood park a few years back. Was blaming the cats at first but ya he sure wasn't scared of me. He moved on though & haven't seen any since.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:22 AM

Default Racoons in Alberta

A friend of mine who lives outside Lamont AB. has had to trap two in the past couple of years with the latest one a couple of months ago. He can tell when one is around because his cat food usage goes up and the water dish becomes muddy from them washing their hands in it. Thought it was interesting they come this far North.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:54 PM

cat food usage goes up an water is muddy lol, could be a homeless man with manners. Sorry couldnt resist that one. Well brother gonna maybe take me lookin for coons in bc here so with a little luck hopefully see a few.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:44 AM

Default Bad Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Every year just about this time we get the annual rash of raccoon sitings. they've been around for quite some time. Pls., don't let them get a foothold in AB or we'll have a prob., like the rats in Saskabushless, so do whatever you gotta do...
I live north of Grande Prairie so I doubt I will see one up here.
Just wondering about your quote.Are they really destructive, hard on gardens, crop storage,etc?
I kind of thought it would be cool to trap them up here or run em with dogs(read "Where The Red Fern Grows" as a kid and it stuck!
Have had no experience with them. Interested in peoples stories for sure.
Have a good Monday guys.
Ken
Old 03-15-2010, 07:39 AM

that was a good book , one of my favorites as a kid . Lots of racoons on the coast but we didn't have much trouble with them