Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-15-2015, 07:12 PM

I don't think there's less this year. I didn't start till the last week in November and have already passed last year's numbers at this time. I seen three off of the road in a slough and they were in no hurry to go anywhere. Plus there's a lot of running and gunning going on cause there's fresh tracks around every dang bush and slough. Kind of wish they would drop down a bit
Old 12-15-2015, 09:50 PM

im seeing lots of tracks still but haven't caught much at all in the last few weeks. most tracks are out about 30-40 yards out or more from the bait and not many coming in to the meat. hopefully this cooler weather will make them a little more desperate.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmparker View Post
im seeing lots of tracks still but haven't caught much at all in the last few weeks. most tracks are out about 30-40 yards out or more from the bait and not many coming in to the meat. hopefully this cooler weather will make them a little more desperate.
I was having that lots on the baits where I caught lots of dogs. I just put more snares further out like. a 150 yards or so. And I've been nailing them circling.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:36 PM
Banned

Well, I'm not sure if the numbers are fewer this year or not anymore, but it certainly has been more challenging with the warm weather and lack of snow. I've experienced a lot of what has been described on this thread with fewer pups and dogs hanging back farther, but I averaged a few more than I did last year. I think that may have to do With me having more experience going into this season than last though.

Regardless, since getting that fresh snow and cooler weather over the past few days, there are coyote tracks everywhere and today's check got me 4 dogs, my best check ever. I think that from here on it's going to get good. More snares going up tomorrow!
Old 12-16-2015, 09:40 AM

Just a guess but with high cattle prices last year I would guess that many farmers/ranchers are shooting quite a few with the old 270 to protect their herds.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:10 PM

If they are staying off the bait piles, could it be because too many people were trying to poison them and they got smart?
Old 12-16-2015, 01:49 PM
Banned

I noticed that the coyote pop. is down this year also. I wonder if increase of wolves have something to do with it? I saw more wolves this hunting season then coyotes, and a lot of wolf sign everywhere.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:19 PM
Gone Hunting

I haven't been allowed to shoot a rifle for a while because of eye surgery, but that was finished on Monday. i'll start shooting again next week.
I did have some clients out last week for 4 days. They missed some and killed some. Didn't seem to be a shortage. Some were reluctant to come to the call, so hunting food for them may be a little easier this year. Hard to motivate a coyote with a full belly when you are two miles a way. We did have a couple Kamikazis run for two miles to die in the last fifty yards. We also had one run last at 8 yards, give the shooter the finger and run off, like a boss.lol.

I saw a pair breeding and he wasn't about to come in to a dying rabbit. can't say I blame him.

I'm sure the e callers have had an effect, but what some folks do not realize is that the e caller is not what makes a coyote hunter successful. It's a thousand other things as well as the sound. A thousand dollar scope won't make you a sniper either.

I think the price of fur has a bigger effect. There seems to be more buyers around for fur in the whole. A lot of guys won't bother to skin and prep fur and ship to the sales and those same guys won't get excited about packing a stinky coyote back to the truck to deliver to a buyer for $10 or $20 bux, when fuel is a buck+ a litre. When it gets to 30+I think is where the game changes. A few more get killed a lot more get harder to call.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-16-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I noticed that the coyote pop. is down this year also. I wonder if increase of wolves have something to do with it? I saw more wolves this hunting season then coyotes, and a lot of wolf sign everywhere.
An increase in wolves might affect the coyote population. Wolves love to eat coyotes. And coyotes can't compete with the larger predator for food so there are less coyotes.

And cougars like eating coyotes too. This fall, close to Edmonton, I found a coyote killed by a cat that was plucked and his drumsticks were wedged up on a large fallen tree, about 6 feet off of the ground. Coyote numbers are down a little in that valley. The landowner has seen the cat a couple times.

Coyotes are one many animals that can manipulate their gestation period and litter size too. In a good habitat with lots of food, low threat and stress, a coyote will have bigger litters. Low rodent numbers maybe affected coyote litter sizes. Just like the lynx populations spike a year after the rabbit cycle peaks.

Also, coyotes have the ability of delayed implantation. The coyote can delay the fertilized egg from developing for up to a year. Several animals have that ability.

This is a well written short article on delayed implantation. Talks about fisher, marten, weasel and even the black bear. Fascinating stuff actually. Helps a guy understand how it all works.

https://www.nwf.org/News-and-Magazin...n-Waiting.aspx

It could be that all these bait sites are making the coyotes lazy. Typically they have to be on the prowl everyday. Knowing there is food regularly might change their habits. They are highly adaptable right?
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 12-16-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:06 PM

Default snaring

I'm surprized to hear that most are finding there is less then last year.
Last year was pretty good an it seemed to me like there is a even more this year.
Were just getting started but since starting Dec 01 so 17 days 2 of us are at close to 100.
But your right about the Wolves, I know that west an north of Blackfoot the wolves are giving the yotes hell.
A few people have seen the wolves show up an the yote tracks disappear an a have talked to a couple of farmers who have seen wolves after coyotes in their fields. They said they were chasing an they though they we playing, I told them wolves hate coyotes an killing them.
A few years ago we called wolves, with yote pup in distress, and called in 9 an shot 7 wolves. We has set up 6 times in two days, I couldn't believe how it worked.
People tell me it isn't as effective now because to many people tried it an missed some they soon learn.
Anyway good luck guys an keep after those deer eaters.
sst
Old 12-19-2015, 08:41 AM
Banned

In west central AB where I live coyotes have been in a slow and consistent decline for over five years. Fox have come back until they are everywhere now. What caused the coyote decline is what I would like to know. Mother nature is doing something.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Sack View Post
In west central AB where I live coyotes have been in a slow and consistent decline for over five years. Fox have come back until they are everywhere now. What caused the coyote decline is what I would like to know. Mother nature is doing something.
Parvo is the culprit combined with mites and mange is my uneducated guess. Top that with more people into predator hunting.

LC
Old 12-19-2015, 09:41 AM

Default this cold may change things

But with the new quad I often go do a perimeter check on the quarter section to see how many yotes enter and leave the section after a fresh snow. Very few tracks which leads me to believe the locals have no young of this year and perhaps 2-3 adults wander through on regular basis.
Meatsickle went out as soon as it got cold last weekend 200 yards from house on a usually well traveled fence line and only one set of tracks came within 30 feet of it and did not go to the bait.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:25 AM

Our coyote numbers are down a little this year. We don't get many up north but around home, just north of Edmonton we had a very high number of mites and mange last year. So far this year the fur looks very good. The forecast is to stay cooler for a while, that might help.
Merry Christmas all.
Doug
Old 12-21-2015, 11:29 AM

Default shot my first of the year this morning

Big heavy male decided to sit down beside the bait meatsickle as I was calling the old dog into the house. last mistake he made! fur looks OK but I am betting he is very fat just from his weight hoisting him into the sled.