Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-28-2021, 11:54 AM

I worked out a load for my sons 270 last year in -5 -0 degree range.I figured that is the temp when hunting so it should work out. It maintained accuracy at 20 degrees plus this past summer and only lost about 12'/sec. if I remember right.
Old 12-28-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
I worked out a load for my sons 270 last year in -5 -0 degree range.I figured that is the temp when hunting so it should work out. It maintained accuracy at 20 degrees plus this past summer and only lost about 12'/sec. if I remember right.
It should have gained velocity at 20 degrees.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It should have gained velocity at 20 degrees.
Yes, I did not word that correctly. 12'/sec gain at 20 degrees
Old 12-28-2021, 03:10 PM
Banned

It looks like it warms up pretty good on the weekend
Old 12-29-2021, 08:17 AM

You can adjust temperatures in quick load, it’s always worth shooting in different temperatures especially colder ones to get a wider data points for sterlokpro. I would shoot anyhow your going to confirm when you get where your going anyhow. What are you chasing this time mark?
Old 12-29-2021, 10:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
You can adjust temperatures in quick load, it’s always worth shooting in different temperatures especially colder ones to get a wider data points for sterlokpro. I would shoot anyhow your going to confirm when you get where your going anyhow. What are you chasing this time mark?
I agree with gathering more data in cold weather. I like that feature in sterlok where you input different velocities at different temps and it determines your temp stability.

This is for my 6.5 sherman short mag
what I think im going to do is just fire form all of the remaining virgin brass with a mild load ive found, Then do a more accurate data collection session on the weekend. Im using the 144gr bergers and i'm impressed already. Velocities aren't as high as some have gotten but if found some good flat spots already and the accuracy is incredible. 22" barrel and im using h1000 so it's not going to be the fastest one ever made. But im gunning for consistency and accuracy. Should have a node around 3000 fps with this set up

Contrary to what the guys at wsfab think. There is other options out there than just them if you want to support wild sheep. I bought a bezoar ibex hunt in turkey from the sheep show.
Old 12-29-2021, 11:35 AM

Nice to see others are using StrelokPro to its full capabilities it sure makes those long shots accessible especially paired with a weather flow meter to make a deadly combo.

Good luck on your Spanish hunt.
Old 12-29-2021, 01:23 PM

i test my loads @ -15+ degrees or colder if the weather allows it preseason .. i have seen big swings in POI at times and other times no so much...never did velocity tests though