Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2016, 04:08 PM

There's a series on the Animal Planet Channel called "Pit Bulls and Parolees" - it's not without some controversy - but it's a popular series with some folks.

http://www.vrcpitbull.net/dog/news/a...ulls-parolees/

Old 08-18-2016, 04:16 PM

Not all are bad,
This is Debo he's 4 years old a gentle giant of a dog loves to get snuggles from anyone. My 15 lb. dog snapped at him once so when she visits he hides under the deck. I have seen some vicious dogs of all breeds even a black lab. The media influences people's thinking only reporting PB attacks, 30 years ago it was Doberman's under attack you never hear about them attacking anymore they haven't stopped biting its just not news anymore.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-18-2016, 04:31 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Some dog breeds like people require more work and attention.
So that being said if we, you, us do our part there should be no issues but if all hell breaks loose it gets bad quickly.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-18-2016, 04:38 PM

I got a cane carso/ staffishire terrier from a family friend, she was the last of her litter. I was slightly hesitant on saying yes because I know she I'll be 80+ pounds but she she fits right in with our family. She is super gentle with our little min pin, our 17month old and our 8 year old sons. The 17 month old even rides her like a horse sometimes. Have I came across bully breeds I don't trust? Of course I have but Ive only ever been bit by a standard size poodle. Some people shouldent be trusted to own a bully breed just like some people shouldent be trusted own a chainsaw. On a side note there was a cat in Victoria that attacked 6 pit bulls from a rescue shelter while walking down the street. The owner of the cat told them to stay away, also the cat will not be put down because of the attack. If roles were reversed that dog would be as good as dead.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:44 PM
Banned

I have a soft spot for these dogs, too bad I can't take one or two into my life at the moment. Some people just shouldn't own dogs, or for that matter - breed.

One of the issues with these dogs is definitely the owners - well meaning owners that think they can create the dog of anyones dreams. The dog is raised in a "canned" environment, only certain people interact with the dog, small circle of "dog" playmates, limited to walks and play in certain areas generally close to home. It's a wonderful dog, happy in the environment created by the human. But when the inevitable escape from said "canned" environment happens, the dog enters an unknown world, bad things can happen.

That's exactly what a friend is going through. Beautiful female pit, under exercised and can't be trusted around other dogs at the moment. Has to be barred up when people come over, gets overexcited and unwittingly hurts people. I'll be working with this pup in the next weeks and months, I'm curious to see what she's capable of, she's an intelligent girl.

Interesting though, Ontario's pit bull ban took on the "walks like a duck" mentality - and was supposed to reduce the human bites and attacks. Global reported earlier in the year that the bite stats have actually increased. How can that be?

http://globalnews.ca/news/2527882/to...tes-than-ever/
Old 08-18-2016, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugs29 View Post
I got a cane carso/ staffishire terrier from a family friend, she was the last of her litter.
I don't run into Cane's very often, but all the ones I've met are laid back, easy going, too big to care attitude. The minpin used to gravitate toward these dogs, David and Goliath

Any pics?
Old 08-18-2016, 04:48 PM

Default What's with gun owners?

So many gun owners seem to be aggressive individuals themselves. OTOH, I know some that don't fit this mold.

Why do folks choose the headache and responsibility of owning a gun? Is it an exercise in participating in a contrarian hobby? Does the hobby have unique qualities not available in other hobbies?

Why does a person choose to make this choice?
Old 08-18-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
So many gun owners seem to be aggressive individuals themselves. OTOH, I know some that don't fit this mold.

Why do folks choose the headache and responsibility of owning a gun? Is it an exercise in participating in a contrarian hobby? Does the hobby have unique qualities not available in other hobbies?

How facile.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Abelard View Post
How facile.
We should have a registry for dogs. Certain breeds like Pit Bulls would be prohibited unless you already had one prior to the new law. Other breeds like Rotties or Dobermans would be restricted (you should have to have a special licence and get authorization to take them to the dog park).

The rcmp should have sole authority over grouping dog breeds into each category.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
We should have a registry for dogs. Certain breeds like Pit Bulls would be prohibited unless you already had one prior to the new law. Other breeds like Rotties or Dobermans would be restricted (you should have to have a special licence and get authorization to take them to the dog park).

The rcmp should have sole authority over grouping dog breeds into each category.
Don't be giving the government ideas now.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
If roles were reversed that dog would be as good as dead.
I think the cat would be too...
Old 08-18-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post

Haha.... Touché!
Old 08-18-2016, 07:07 PM
Banned

Here you go, one great use for pitbulls...

Armored Pit Bulls And The Wolf Pack

https://www.nopcradio.com/nopc-corne...wolf-pack.html
Old 08-18-2016, 07:27 PM

99% of pet issues stem from their owners. I dont blame the pit bulls if something goes wrong. I blame the owners.

Problem with Pitts and many other animals is that its usually the people with no time or training to deal with them that buy them. They then become "problem" animals and have to be put down.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
I don't run into Cane's very often, but all the ones I've met are laid back, easy going, too big to care attitude. The minpin used to gravitate toward these dogs, David and Goliath

Any pics?
Her dad is a pure bred 130 pound cane and mom is a pure bred staffy around 90 pounds. I will have to wait till I'm home from the hospital to set up a photo bucket account. My iPad doesn't like their wireless.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
On a side note there was a cat in Victoria that attacked 6 pit bulls from a rescue shelter while walking down the street.
Had a purebred blue point Siamese 20 years ago, that cat hated dogs. If you've never heard an angry siamese scream, makes the hair on the back of the neck stand up - and dogs run. Attacked a GSD in the front yard one day, no fear - dog tucked tail and booked it.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:00 PM

Reminds me of a Maine Coon cat I had years ago who got defensive when a large Lab came into our backyard. He went after the dog and she all over the ground from fright. Never seen anything like it before.

Last edited by catnthehat; 08-19-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSlam View Post
Reminds me of a Maine Coon cat
That's alot of cat... No wonder the dog peed itself.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
99% of pet issues stem from their owners. I dont blame the pit bulls if something goes wrong. I blame the owners.

Problem with Pitts and many other animals is that its usually the people with no time or training to deal with them that buy them. They then become "problem" animals and have to be put down.
My experience echoes this. Most pitt's i have met I have not properly or effectively evaluated. This is because 80% of the owners I have experienced are not what i would classify as likeable people. Sorry, that is the reality.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:01 AM

Default What's with pit bull owners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
That's alot of cat... No wonder the dog peed itself.

Yeah, 20lbs that could move very quickly if needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1144.JPG (101.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 08-19-2016, 08:37 AM

I crafted a beautiful post that was sure to result in me being in trouble. Deleted it and was left with this.

What was the point in starting a thread like this? You can't make broad sweeping generalizations and expect anyone with any sense to take you seriously.

Why not say what's with people with Labs? They seem kind of douchy. . . I've had as many experience's with douchy lab owners as with pitbull owners. It's just as acurate.

Dogs need training and time. If you don't put it into your dog you get a bad dog no matter the breed.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckTangle View Post
On a side note wouldnt it be a crime to use the threat of unleashing his pitbulls on us?

Same as the other person threatening the individual whose dog was coming towards him!! What did he say, "I will take it out on you!!" Seems simple to see who the actual aggressor was in that situation! You threatened them
But didn't like the return threat!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 08-19-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Abelard View Post
So many PB owners seem to be aggressive individuals themselves. OTOH, I know some that don't fit this mold.

Why do folks choose the headache and responsibility of owning such a controversial breed? It it an exercise in contrarian-pet ownership? Does the breed have unique qualities not available in other breeds?

I will go back to the original question.
This breed does indeed have a plethora of unique qualities, and all you have to do is look on the internet, get past all the bashing that is out there and it is quite plain. Some of them are......strength, loyalty, intelligence, gentleness, persistence......and the list goes on. This breed has served with valor in numerous wars, and was once the dog of choice for the US marines.

Pit Bulls (which really is not a recognized breed....) are fast becoming the most common dog in North America.........it's not because they are mean and deadly........I would really like to see side by side the statistics on how many people Pit Bulls (or crosses) have saved versus how many they have hurt/killed.

D
Old 08-19-2016, 09:22 AM

I am all for special training and licensing required to own certain breeds. Pit bulls are very smarts dogs and will dominate the owner and take an alpha position if allowed which can lead to trouble. Properly trained they can be a great family member, therapy dog or working breed.

I am of the mindset of ban the deed not the breed punish the owners responsible for the issues. Some say we should ban all firearm ownership I am also against this but I can think of a number of people I do not think should own guns but do. If one of these people kills someone should all firearms be banned for everyone? My 2 cents.

Side note I don't have a AMSTAFF but would if not for the insurance and bylaws.

Last edited by SportHuntingHelp; 08-19-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:25 AM

I see similarities in the debate re "assault" weapons.

In the right hands an "assault" rifle is no more dangerous than any traditional hunting rifle. In the wrong hands, both will kill.

As far as I know (and admittedly it aint much), pitbulls were bred to fight? They seem to be like the assault rifle of dogs.

Neither pitbulls nor assault style rifles are my thing but not sure banning is the solution...in fact it may just set a dangerous precedent?
Old 08-19-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
I see similarities in the debate re "assault" weapons.

In the right hands an "assault" rifle is no more dangerous than any traditional hunting rifle. In the wrong hands, both will kill.

As far as I know (and admittedly it aint much), pitbulls were bred to fight? They seem to be like the assault rifle of dogs.

Neither pitbulls nor assault style rifles are my thing but not sure banning is the solution...in fact it may just set a dangerous precedent?
True the Pit Bulls were bred to fight other dogs but at the same time bred to not attack people.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:46 AM
Banned

Yes, pit bulls were bred for the "pit" fight - but you don't just take a pit and it's going to fight. It takes alot of work to make them ready for fighting, takes a while to make them that mean. They aren't born that way. Too many misconceptions surrounding the breed - like locking jaws. Pit jaws don't lock, pits tend to bite and hold. and they don't have the strongest bite force either.

On the flip side, pit bulls have the capability to come out of these fighting situations and learn to trust again pretty quick - and become loving animals. Other abused breeds take alot longer.

Nice thing about pits, they can be trained for near anything from hunting to drug sniffing, herding to whatever. Like the Rotti, they are very versatile.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:54 AM

Pit Bulls are responsible for the reputation they have and if it were not the result of some pretty horrific attacks, conversations regarding potential bans would not be happening. Perhaps I am wrong, but it is my understanding that pit bulls are the result of genetic manipulation designed to create a fighting animal?
Edit: In response to some previous posts.
First, no comparison with "weapons" ...Simply, a weapon doesn't get loose and hurt you in the park, nor does it hurt a kid that comes in your yard. Dogs can "get out", even when owned by responsible people.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 08-19-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madball View Post
I fail to see how you've corelated 2 very different sentences about 2 very different things..

One was the idea that hip-hop culture has created this idea that you have to have a pitbull to be a cool-guy gangster. The other was telling someone that just because someone has tattoos and stretched ears it doesn't make them a bad dog owner. How are those related?
I had to laugh out loud a little too when I read your reply.

You stereotyped a group and then your very next post was to chastise someone for stereotyping.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:08 AM

Dogs are the most genetically manipulated species on earth. Want to do a reset on pit bulls, selective breeding can make them all nice. Isn't that in everybody's best interest?