Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 06-17-2014, 03:39 PM

Excellent info Woodswalker.
An interesting note.. I was reading a journal of an man that walked from Lone Pine to grand prairie area back in the mid 1800's. He mentioned there were barely any trees in that distance.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-17-2014, 10:23 PM

Woodswailer, how does your company contact area trappers? I receive registered mail which I do not sign for. The reason is once I do the company figures they are done what they are required to do. All I want is a phone csll to explain things to me and an ear to listen to what I have to say. I have mey with harvest planners and explained I want to work with them. I want to stay ahead of the harvesting and trap where I know logging will take place. Problem is they seem to have no long term plans.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:10 PM

Bullgetter, the usual route is a package via registered mail with a letter telling you who the planner is that you can discuss the upcoming plan with, including phone numbers and email, the expected time frame of harvesting the area and a map that shows the stands that the company is looking at. The intent is so that you can look over a map of the area and have a copy to refer to when you are discussing areas with the planner instead of referring to things as by the third culvert and to the left, or by the forked tree by the old camp etc... Most of the planners have had phone conversations, some have met at restaurants and/or in the bush to look at specific areas of interest. One of the companies I was with had a trapper liason who would gps trails and areas of special interest after meeting with trappers. Not all places have this and sometimes it is the planner doing it. After planning up an area the trapper is then sent another registered mail package after field layout is complete showing the actual planned block and road locations that will be submitted to the government. I can't speak for all of the forest companies but this is how it has been done where I have worked. All I can say is that if you don't sign for the registered mail you are missing out on an opportunity for input. As to what happens if you don't sign for the mail and it is returned, we check with the trappers association if the information on record is still up to date, record in the final harvest plan submission that registered mail was sent to what is known as the current address of the RFM holder and that the mail was returned. Also if you accept the mail but don't correspond that is also noted on the plan. This is all that is required by the company by AESRD Forestry division.

In regards to long term plans, the companies should be working off a spatial harvest sequence of 10 to 20 years and have a rough idea of areas they are planning on going and this should be outlined in the DFMP (detailed forest management plan). If the logger is a quota holder in the province this is sometimes done differently depending on if they have an exclusive quota or are imbedded in another companies FMA. From that longer term plan, yes there is less consistency in the time frames of going to places and factors can change too. Currently chasing areas with pine beetle infestations is causing a lot of short notice and reactive planning to target these areas. Once an area is planned up for harvest, the harvest plan is good for 5 years once started. The industry actually does a lot of planning for activities.