Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2016, 10:41 AM

Are grouse normal prey for weasels? I've had a full grown pair eating oats in my yard all winter, then this half grown one came in and was dead and eaten by morning. Pretty sure by the size and shape of entry hole it was weasel. Have had a Great Horned Owl around this winter, lots of rabbits and grouse this year
Never seen an owl kill though, do they eat in place or take there kills elsewhere?
Maybe he killed it and weasel ate it. Any thoughts?[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-21-2016, 05:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
Are grouse normal prey for weasels? I've had a full grown pair eating oats in my yard all winter, then this half grown one came in and was dead and eaten by morning. Pretty sure by the size and shape of entry hole it was weasel. Have had a Great Horned Owl around this winter, lots of rabbits and grouse this year
Never seen an owl kill though, do they eat in place or take there kills elsewhere?
Maybe he killed it and weasel ate it. Any thoughts?
With weasel there is no such thing as normal prey, they kill whatever they can.

I'm convinced they would kill a Moose if they could get through the hide.

I have not seen one actually kill a Grouse but I've seen them feeding one more then one.

I have however seen them kill domestic chickens, watched the whole process. While I was trying to shoot the Weasel. And I've watched them try to pull a ten pound chicken through a ten ounce knot hole.

Hard to believe a 6 once Weasel can kill a ten pound chicken but they can and they do whenever there is an opportunity. And they will often kill several at one setting and only drink the blood of their victims.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-21-2016, 06:25 PM

If a weasel was the size of a coyote no person would be safe.