Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-26-2014, 08:06 AM

The thread kind of derailed, the OP'S question was why you can use an OHV in some zones in the am and not in others.

I to wonder...my thoughts is it something to do with how populated the zone is but I am probably wrong
Old 09-26-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I think it is a great rule....this will no doubt be unpopular but I honestly think the rule should be changed that anytime afternoon the firearm should be unloaded and encased while on a OHV.

LC
Illegal to have a loaded firearm on a quad even the loaded clip in is dead wrong...
As to the OP's question I'm thinking demographics and user numbers plays a huge roll in the before noon quad usage. Just get on the South Castle this weekend after noon and watch the constant parade until dark.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohncdn View Post
As this is a hunting reg it only applies to hunters.

Recreational riders aren't governed by it. Also nothing prevents a non hunter from having a firearm in the bush so long as they have their PAL/POL.

That is the reason I would say it makes no sense.
That could easily be cross checked whether the person had purchased any hunting tags for the given season, if they're out not hunting on their ATV and have a firearm & tags valid for that date they'd be lying about not being hunting. If they have no tags registered to their name then their story might actually hold water........
Old 09-26-2014, 08:24 AM

To add to this question...

if I read this right you CAN have a loaded gun in your vehicle from noon until 1 hour before sunrise? I always thought it was illegal to have a loaded gun on/in any vehicle...period
Old 09-26-2014, 08:46 AM

You can NEVER have a loaded firearm in or in your vehicle. By law if you load your gun and rear it against your tire to throw your pack on, you are breaking the law. The rule states the firer needs to be unloaded and cased before noon. After noon it does not need to be cased.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezilk View Post
You can NEVER have a loaded firearm in or in your vehicle. By law if you load your gun and rear it against your tire to throw your pack on, you are breaking the law. The rule states the firer needs to be unloaded and cased before noon. After noon it does not need to be cased.
That's the way I always understood it and have always abided by it. But I was reviewing the AB hunting regs and it wasn't really clear on that. I think the fed gun control guidelines apply for this.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith78 View Post
That's the way I always understood it and have always abided by it. But I was reviewing the AB hunting regs and it wasn't really clear on that. I think the fed gun control guidelines apply for this.
It's on the first page of general regulations.

have a loaded firearm (live ammunition in breech, chamber or magazine) in or on, or discharge a weapon from
a boat unless the boat is propelled by muscular power or is at anchor and the person is hunting, or
any kind of aircraft or vehicle whether it is moving or stationary.
Note: Ammunition may be carried in a magazine that is not attached to the firearm. Click here for contact information regarding federal firearms legislation.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith78 View Post
To add to this question...

if I read this right you CAN have a loaded gun in your vehicle from noon until 1 hour before sunrise? I always thought it was illegal to have a loaded gun on/in any vehicle...period
NO you can never have a loaded firearm in or on any vehicle...

LC
Old 09-26-2014, 09:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mountain mike View Post
I agree with the law and abide by it, but if you don't want to be passed by a quad on a trail don't walk down quad trails. There are weekend warriors out there quadding ( not hunting ) till well after the snow flies.
Well....a)I access one of my favorite WT stands via quad trails in a relatively busy rec area.I hike in 2 miles,then cut x-country hunting a hardwood ridge,and never see another soul all day let alone a quad,but I hear them all day,hopefully pushing deer my way.
B)I don't get passed by recreational quadders at 7am,only by hunters on quads,rec riders like to sleep-in on Saturdays generally speaking.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
It goes farther than that....to state you can only have it if transporting directly to and from a remote camp...so the FACT REMAINS....

NO hunting of any sort before noon with a firearm on an OHV....with few exceptions (black bear)

LC
Old 09-26-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
That could easily be cross checked whether the person had purchased any hunting tags for the given season, if they're out not hunting on their ATV and have a firearm & tags valid for that date they'd be lying about not being hunting. If they have no tags registered to their name then their story might actually hold water........
Don't need a tag to hunt Wolf or coyote..... just sayin

This is why if you have a hunting licence in your name the rule applies to you.

Last edited by diamonddave; 09-26-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty-canuck View Post
no you can never have a loaded firearm in or on any vehicle...

Lc
x100
Old 09-26-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
It's on the first page of general regulations.

have a loaded firearm (live ammunition in breech, chamber or magazine) in or on, or discharge a weapon from
a boat unless the boat is propelled by muscular power or is at anchor and the person is hunting, or
any kind of aircraft or vehicle whether it is moving or stationary.
Note: Ammunition may be carried in a magazine that is not attached to the firearm. Click here for contact information regarding federal firearms legislation.
There it is!!! Good man!

I was reading the vehicle restrictions this morning and started to wonder if something was different in AB.

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceba View Post
Illegal to have a loaded firearm on a quad even the loaded clip in is dead wrong...
As to the OP's question I'm thinking demographics and user numbers plays a huge roll in the before noon quad usage. Just get on the South Castle this weekend after noon and watch the constant parade until dark.
Did you just say that you ARE allowed to have a loaded firearm on a quad??
If you did you are absolutely wrong. If that's not what you meant my apologies
Old 09-26-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
Don't need a tag to hunt Wolf or coyote..... just sayin
No tags are required, but you still must follow the hunting regulations. Too many guys don't take the time to read regulations and to question anything they don't completely 100% understand.

I have stopped COs and RCMP officer on the road to ask them questions and found some interesting tidbits out as far as muzzleloaders go.

Ignorance will not stand up in court. You have a duty to understand and abide by the rules. By signing your hunting license you agree to follow all the rules.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
No tags are required, but you still must follow the hunting regulations. Too many guys don't take the time to read regulations and to question anything they don't completely 100% understand.

I have stopped COs and RCMP officer on the road to ask them questions and found some interesting tidbits out as far as muzzleloaders go.

Ignorance will not stand up in court. You have a duty to understand and abide by the rules. By signing your hunting license you agree to follow all the rules.
Agreed...just cause you say you "didn't realize" you had 5 not 3 drinks, or that "youre not drunk behind the wheel", doesn't make the charges go away.

The same premise applies.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:23 AM

Edited my post because I figured it wouldn't be clearly understood. I agree with you.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
NO hunting of any sort before noon with a firearm on an OHV....with few exceptions (black bear)

LC
This applies to the spring bear season only in the WMU's that have the morning restrictions.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:03 AM

Default Ohv

Hunting with Motorized Vehicles
It is unlawful to
l discharge a weapon at antelope from within 46 m (50 yards) of a vehicle;
l use motorized travel within Willmore Wilderness Park; and
l carry a weapon (see definition on page 15) on an OHV between 1
hour before sunrise and the following noon during an open season for
big game* on public land in the following WMUs: 102-166, 200-260,
300-351, 354-360, 400-446, 507, 508, 514, 521, 522, 526 and 841. This
does not apply to a person who is traveling on a direct route to or from
a location accessible by vehicles designed for highway travel and his or
her isolated campsite, and the weapons and ammunition are carried out of
view in separate locked containers (and remain locked during the trip).
Also, the restriction does not apply in a WMU when the only big game
season open is a spring black bear season or a cougar season.
* this restriction applies to all hunters (including bird game hunters).

As I read the regs it applies only to public lands
and when accessing your isolated campsite it must be accessible by vehicles designed for highway travel

so if your on private do what the land owner says you can do

if your going into an isolated campsite with your OHV it better be on a trail you can get vehicles designed for highway travel (ie. truck, jeep or car on)

this is the way i read the regs
Old 09-26-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Thinking of mounting a small tripod to the front rack of my quad and being a right hand shooter, I'm also thinking of rigging the throttle over to the left handle bar.(never to be used before noon of course.)
HEY great idea as I'm a lefty I could drive and shoot at the same time. (j/k of course)
Old 09-26-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Yes.

Even if you have a license and tags registered but are out recreationally and do NOT have them on you there is no reasonable grounds to believe you are hunting. Dependant of course on other actions you may or may not be taking.

I enjoy exploring the areas either in my 4x4 or using my atv in various areas. Also, I never go into the bush without a firearm of some sort. Sometimes I'm out fishing, others just sight seeing. When I hunt, I follow the hunting regs, just as following the fishing regs when fishing.

In heavily used areas I often go as far as carrying a firearm recreationally that is not the most appropriate for hunting in the area (shotgun in big game areas, rifle in birding areas) but this is by no means necessary.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:23 AM

Here we go again......
Old 09-26-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Here we go again......
shocking eh?
Old 09-26-2014, 10:25 AM

Default Quad

Guys, the restriction on quads came years ago when trikes first came onto the market. F & W realized the close zones to major cities would be over-run with quads/trikes, thus restrictions before noon. In more isolated northern zones with more game and tougher access realized ATV,s would assist hunt without putting to much pressure on game population. Quads were lethal on moose especially in cutblocks in morning.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Here we go again......
Hey look millions of Buffalo...it's our right...so let's kill every last one!

Sound familiar?
Old 09-26-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceba View Post
This applies to the spring bear season only in the WMU's that have the morning restrictions.
Yes that would be a black bear exception

LC
Old 09-26-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father of five View Post
Hunting with Motorized Vehicles
It is unlawful to
l discharge a weapon at antelope from within 46 m (50 yards) of a vehicle;
l use motorized travel within Willmore Wilderness Park; and
l carry a weapon (see definition on page 15) on an OHV between 1
hour before sunrise and the following noon during an open season for
big game* on public land in the following WMUs: 102-166, 200-260,
300-351, 354-360, 400-446, 507, 508, 514, 521, 522, 526 and 841. This
does not apply to a person who is traveling on a direct route to or from
a location accessible by vehicles designed for highway travel and his or
her isolated campsite, and the weapons and ammunition are carried out of
view in separate locked containers (and remain locked during the trip).

Also, the restriction does not apply in a WMU when the only big game
season open is a spring black bear season or a cougar season.

As I read the regs it applies only to public lands
and when accessing your isolated campsite it must be accessible by vehicles designed for highway travel

so if your on private do what the land owner says you can do

if your going into an isolated campsite with your OHV it better be on a trail you can get vehicles designed for highway travel (ie. truck, jeep or car on)

this is the way i read the regs

That is what is the most important.

You cannot carry a firearm on an ATV on a quad until noon of any hunting day during Big Game Season. This means you are allowed to have shottys and small calibre for bird hunting prior to noon in WMUs where NO big game is open( black bear excluded). Otherwise, if you are travelling on gravel roads, the gun needs to be locked in a case and the ammunition locked in another case.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
That is what is the most important.

You cannot carry a firearm on an ATV on a quad until noon of any hunting day during Big Game Season. This means you are allowed to have shottys and small calibre for bird hunting prior to noon in WMUs where NO big game is open( black bear excluded). Otherwise, if you are travelling on gravel roads, the gun needs to be locked in a case and the ammunition locked in another case.
Incorrect....bird hunters are NOT excempt.

You failed to read this last line....

LC
Old 09-26-2014, 11:09 AM

If a big game season is not open in the WMU (Excluding Black Bear)

carry a weapon (see definition) on an OHV between 1 hour before sunrise and the following noon during an open season for big game* on public land in the following WMUs: 102-166, 200-260, 300-351, 354-360, 400-446, 507, 508, 514, 521, 522, 526 and 841. This does not apply to a person who is traveling on a direct route to or from a location accessible by vehicles designed for highway travel and his or her isolated campsite, and the weapons and ammunition are carried out of view in separate locked containers (and remain locked during the trip). Also, the restriction does not apply in a WMU when the only big game season open is a spring black bear season.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:11 AM

I read it all and have talked with many COs about it. ZERO weapons on a quad if any big game other than BB is open before noon. Unless you are travelling on a road a vehicle could travel, in which case the gun needs to be lock in one case and ammo in another. And of course if you are black bear hunting the rule can be read you are allowed to have a weapon on a quad before noon