Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-13-2011, 03:01 PM

I'm of a different mind when it comes to boars.
They may have been branded "destructive pests" by the suspect ag department which an earlier poster revealed was responsible for bringing them here in the first place.
But in the rest of the world - well Europe anyway - they are a revered game animal.
Cunning, intelligent and damned hard to hunt. Plus as someone else pointed out, great to eat.
This habitat "destruction" is more the reason given to justify the wholesale slaughter of Alberta's wild pigs - outside of the fair chase rules that govern most other hunting - than a reality. All game animals geese, elk, whitetails, rabbits, etc. negatively impact agriculture in some way. When they do the ACA pays for it on our behalf.
The problem isn't a hunter issue. Guys, this is a futile and cynical attempt by the bureaucrats responsible trying to close the barn door after the pigs escaped.
Since this is supposed to be a hunters board, not an ass-covering forum for the government, why are so many guys parroting the BS coming from the Longman Building.
Now that the boars are on the landscape wouldn't it be preferred to have a regulated and sustainable harvest for a new and exciting game animal.
Rather than trying to do a buffalo on them?
Old 10-13-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Waugh View Post
They may have been branded "destructive pests" by the suspect ag department which an earlier poster revealed was responsible for bringing them here in the first place.
But in the rest of the world - well Europe anyway - they are a revered game animal.
Cunning, intelligent and damned hard to hunt. Plus as someone else pointed out, great to eat.
This habitat "destruction" is more the reason given to justify the wholesale slaughter of Alberta's wild pigs - outside of the fair chase rules that govern most other hunting - than a reality. All game animals geese, elk, whitetails, rabbits, etc. negatively impact agriculture in some way. When they do the ACA pays for it on our behalf.
The problem isn't a hunter issue. Guys, this is a futile and cynical attempt by the bureaucrats responsible trying to close the barn door after the pigs escaped.
Since this is supposed to be a hunters board, not an ass-covering forum for the government, why are so many guys parroting the BS coming from the Longman Building.
Now that the boars are on the landscape wouldn't it be preferred to have a regulated and sustainable harvest for a new and exciting game animal.
I would prefer if they properly managed the existing game animals.

20 years from now everyone and their dog will have a place to hunt pigs in AB.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:45 PM

Default Yes, I'v been in on the kill of a grand total of...

One (ya.. not much)

We stopped by one south of Magrath of all places, few years back while out pheasant hunting, saw a huge sow just lounging around our pheasant patch. ionly had my 12 guage, but my buddy had his 30-06 along for 'coyote medicine'. We stopped, he popped it between the eyes....

It was yummy! I muvh prefer the bacon and chops compared to domestic pork. Buddy took the hams in and got them cured, but I never got a taste.

I heard from the locals that this was a escaped one and there were three little ones out as well... I was told they all got shot w/in a week.

other than that... I was 99% sure I saw one 2k north of the Niton Junction at last light in a field. I never stopped to investigate. I've never heard of any other hanging around sw alberta.

As a kid my guido let me shoot 3 tame ones when it was time to butcher them. One 22 long right between the eyes.... but your shot really had to count. Screw that up and you had a reall rodeo on your hands!

If they really aren't as destructive as I'm led to believe, then ya... lets have another game animal. I do hear (mainly through some word of mouth) that they are really destructive and will cause farms and other wildlife problems. If thats the case... we better buffalo them and quick! If not.... I'm totally ok w/people keeping quiet about their honey holes.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."

Last edited by bessiedog; 10-13-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:25 PM

amen Walking Buffalo

ticdoc
Old 10-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Gone Hunting

According to my sources, there are no wild boar left in the Manning Deadwood area.

I asked the district agriculturist about them a few weeks ago and he told me that some locals went after the herd in Deadwood last winter. They found 36 of them more or less trapped in deep snow and they slaughtered the whole lot of them. So maybe it's true.

I asked folks in Keg River about the herd that used to be up there, everyone I talked to said so far as they knew, none were left there either.

So far as listing them as game animals and regulating hunting them, I would not support that.

Wish I could agree with you on this one Neil, but I can't.

From what I've seen, with the few herds that did became established in this area, they have huge potential to be a major farm pest and environmental hazard.

Ask any Texas farmer or rancher what they think of wild hogs and you will get an earful. They seem to be on track to become as big a headache for Albertains.

In no way would I support allowing them to remain here. Get rid of as many as you can, as quickly as you can before someone decides they should be part of the wildlife scene up here.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:28 PM

I like to know what this so-called wild bore "damage" actually looks like.
Is it, like, comparable to Eastern Slopes quad damage? Or Syncrude damage? Or heavens forbid, ag industry damage? (overgrazing, riparian destruction, etc.) The government doesn't seem to give a s#@t about that.
Anyone got any pics of the post-hogs scorched earth?
Or is this all part of the myth that allows the unregulated slaughter of this "pest".
Which other parts of the world considers a revered and valuable game animal.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I like to know what this so-called wild bore "damage" actually looks like.
Is it, like, comparable to Eastern Slopes quad damage? Or Syncrude damage? Or heavens forbid, ag industry damage? (overgrazing, riparian destruction, etc.) The government doesn't seem to give a s#@t about that.
Anyone got any pics of the post-hogs scorched earth?
Or is this all part of the myth that allows the unregulated slaughter of this "pest".
Which other parts of the world considers a revered and valuable game animal.
No argument that there are other sources of environmental damage.
I don't think that is a good argument for allowing wild hogs.

So far as pictures of hog damage goes. Google is your friend. I have seen the same sort of damage here, as depicted in photos such as this one.
And BTW this is one of many Google found.

I think sometimes we have to look beyond our own self interests and look at whats best for the environment as well as what effect our choices will have on others.

It isn't hard to see that damage like what we see in this photo would be very bad for the environment, if it were along the banks of your favourite trout stream. Or any other environmentally sensitive place for that matter.

I would agree that they may be fun to hunt, to me that does not outweigh the potential problems.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:28 PM

Default But ya got to admit....

I wish all pests in Alberta tasted that good.

If they did, we'd be looking for a new name for the Pass, and my freezer would be full.

As it is.. I'll just have to settle for a darned cow elk!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-13-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
No argument that there are other sources of environmental damage.
I don't think that is a good argument for allowing wild hogs.

So far as pictures of hog damage goes. Google is your friend. I have seen the same sort of damage here, as depicted in photos such as this one.
And BTW this is one of many Google found.

I think sometimes we have to look beyond our own self interests and look at whats best for the environment as well as what effect our choices will have on others.

It isn't hard to see that damage like what we see in this photo would be very bad for the environment, if it were along the banks of your favourite trout stream. Or any other environmentally sensitive place for that matter.

I would agree that they may be fun to hunt, to me that does not outweigh the potential problems.

That's it? I've seen whitetail scrapes worse than that.
It looks like the overgrazing on that piece of property is far worse than a few pig holes.
Point taken, this is a cynical Ag Dept stitch up.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:31 PM

Hey they did it with the Pheasant; maybe the "Wild" boar will follow.. Ha ha.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
No!

First statement you have made that I have ever disagreed with.

Hog Scorched earth from my hunting spot.

Put a slug in one!

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:50 PM

010 - Copy.JPG

Had this one rooting in my tree farm this summer. Problem has been removed by my neighbor.

Note: date and time are not correct on trail cam.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:58 PM

I think you need to get out and see what damage a few wild pigs can make Neil W!!!!
I did, in my own back yard and in a very short time!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
That's it? I've seen whitetail scrapes worse than that.
It looks like the overgrazing on that piece of property is far worse than a few pig holes.
Point taken, this is a cynical Ag Dept stitch up.
LOL You got me good Neil, I'm afraid I didn't catch your drift at first.

My hats off to you.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out how someone with your outdoor experience would think having hogs around was a good thing!

Man do I feel silly. ROFL Yeah you got me good!
Old 10-13-2011, 11:23 PM

I thought you would not want to eat the boars? Sows I could see tasting alright but I always thought the males were rank? At least with conventional pigs...
Old 10-16-2011, 04:39 PM

I heard southeast of Sundre is a good area for them. So what's the best time to see them? Dawn? After a night of feeding?
Old 10-16-2011, 04:51 PM

Last I heard county of parkland had 50 dollar bounty on them.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 10-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Banned

From a newspaper article dated December 2008:

"They became enough of a problem in Alberta that the government declared them a pest in the spring, putting them in the same category as rats.

The government estimated that 1,500 of the ornery-looking beasts are on the loose in rural areas from Lac la Biche to Medicine Hat."

AND;

"Sows can produce litters of up to 13 offspring twice a year."

How many are likely out there by now?
Old 10-16-2011, 08:34 PM

Default Boars

I've spent a fair bit of time this summer hunting for them(mostly solo). I got some "leads" but off the forum but none turned out. I've been looking in swampy areas but there has been so much water this summer that the usual swampy areas are now lake like areas with trees in it. I've been looking in Sangudo to Seba beach area, no luck yet. I'll keep trying, I'm researching how to train a dog for boar hunting. I have a keen Shepard.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Banned

When you say that you've had no luck do you mean in seeing and shooting one or you haven't seen any pig sign at all? There was supposed to have been a problem in Lac Ste Anne County several years ago but I don't know about now.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Driving West on the 616 today, West of Breton, saw what looked like three large black sow's with a bunch of piglets.

Didn't have my gun. They were in a hay field, at 1600.

No time for pictures, was on my way to a rig.
Those arent wild pigs haha, those are the farmers they have been there for a long time, and only in that field. So DONT shoot lol.

Last edited by savage7mm; 10-16-2011 at 09:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-16-2011, 09:42 PM

Default pig

My son literally just showed me a camera phone pic he took lastnight of a dead boar, tusks and all on the side of the highway in northern Alberta. I'll try to figure how to post tomorrow on my computer. I'm on my phone now. Location not yet to be released. Sorry, guys. Recovering from surgury and want a chance at them first. Lost my moose/elk season, need some piggy time.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:02 PM

Saw a huge one northwest of stony plain not to long ago
Old 10-17-2011, 08:36 PM

Well, I guess I'm a slower healer than I thought. If anybody PM's me I'll tell them where my son saw the boar 2 nights ago. South of Slave Lake. Can give you directions to within a few hundred yards. Must be credible requests. I'd like to try there too and don't want it ruined by inconsiderate wannabe's. By the way, boars can kill you. Might want to research a bit if you haven't yet.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:14 PM

About 10 years ago had a bunch of hogs escape from a local breeders captivity, and they could be found all along the 49th, on both sides of the border... everyone hunted them particularily during nov. deer season.... got them all.. none to be found any longer , and there were lots. They lived and bred in old bale stacks. Hunting pressure took care of the problem, as some got to be quite agressive with local farmers, and of course they were concerned for their children.
So in reply to the issues up north, I say keep shooting, you just might get them all... it will take a while... GOOD LUCK.. use them for making wild game sausage as it works well as a pork filler.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:54 PM

All I can say is they are great eating! We shot four on our farm so far and would love to have a few more come roaming through.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:41 PM

So does the no shooting after sunset hunting regulation still apply to pigs, or am I gonna have to go get myself a bow?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:14 PM

Someone definitely said they'd seen them in Drumheller...should I believe that? PM if so.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:20 PM

Met a guy the other day in high prairie had a couple said he got them north of winagami lake
Old 10-26-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Hemi View Post
So does the no shooting after sunset hunting regulation still apply to pigs, or am I gonna have to go get myself a bow?
It is illegal to discharge a firearm period after legal light it don't apply just to hunting