Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-14-2007, 02:59 PM
packhuntr

Default Re: Re:burden????

well, i dont know about that.....
Old 04-14-2007, 04:16 PM
walleyes

I would say they are very helpful in controlling the rabbit population in this country... Maybe we should stop shooting so many coyotes and start shooting more rabbits....:rollin :rollin :rollin
Old 04-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Southb

Quote:
well, i dont know about that.....
Well Now you do.

Quote:
Maybe we should stop shooting so many coyotes and start shooting more rabbits....
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Old 04-14-2007, 04:59 PM
packhuntr

Well south, I disagree. I have been blowing on a wounded rabbit call since i was 10 yrs old. Thats a collective 20 yrs. But I will tell ya what i do know. These dogs have been playing a role in the big picture alot longer than you or i have been enjoying persuing the excess. I might add, its an excess that ya, man created. But if you are seriously confused enough to think that all mother natures animals are here for nothing more than man kinds desires, well mabey you owe it to yourself to join the gradeschoolers in an outdoor education class. Im sure if you ask, some one will give you directions to the Alford Lake hunter education camp.

keep a strain on er.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Southb

Quote:
Thats a collective 20 yrs
I dont care :\ I have been hunting for over 29 so what .

Quote:
These dogs have been playing a role in the big picture alot longer than you or i have been enjoying persuing the excess.
save the preaching for someone else anyone know's that every animal serves its purpose in the wild

Quote:
But if you are seriously confused enough to think that all mother natures animals are here for nothing more than man kinds desires,
confused no but hey there are seasons:rolleyes
Quote:
well mabey you owe it to yourself to join the gradeschoolers in an outdoor education class.
no not needed maybe you should give it a try because the way i see it most of you are bashing chef for his point of views almost thinking you know better dont think so i have read his stuff and he DOSE KNOW RABBITS better then most for sure please you start with why is yotes a burden ,another say's lighten up it was a joke etc.tells me some of you are only looking to bash one another sorry thats not what this place is about.join the gradeschoolers in an outdoor education class learn something if you can:rolleyes
Old 04-14-2007, 05:25 PM
walleyes

Default Re: rabbits

Hey all I know is dem damned rabbits was some good eats last week,, mmmmm.. mmmmm good
Old 04-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Tree Guy

Easy Southb,

From whar it seems is that Chef is one of the most knowledgable and experienced rabbit hunters here.

Pack was only asking for a clarification on one of his statements, that's all. I personally like where Pack is coming from as it illustrates to me that he (and Chef, etc) holds a deep respect and love of ever animal big or small!

Without that attitude how can one truelly can themselves a hunter?
Old 04-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Tucumseh

Chef
Was that Greg with you in the video? How did you's do that day? Same place?

Down to my last rabbit, I guess that feller will go in the frying pan and I'm not sharing it with anyone. Can't wait for next fall to get out again.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:34 AM
packhuntr

Sorry to get you so riled there south. I only disagreed with your comment about, how the only good thing about a coyote, is the money. It appeared abit rash. I suppose to some, including youth, might begin to question how vaid other animals are, when we only have managment strategies and studies that are readily visible, on the animals in the regs. And that if it doesnt grow horns or antlers, or doesnt seem to meet some standard of palatability, people really dont need them. Im not trying to put words in your mouth here, but, some might form that misconception, and quite easily. Every year, there are people persuing with intent to harvest /manage animals, and i know abunch, and they really have no clue as to why. Now would anyone go to work, and do something without knowing why??? Sounds pretty silly. Education here might be equally as important.

edit; im only saying we should mabey try to be part of the solution, not the problem.

keep a strain on er.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:51 AM
gunslinger

if the season is infact closed and the rabbits are in the birthing time like he says they are then why would you even want to take the chance of shooting one not only illegal but pregnant to boot,because the one guy says you cant tell the difference, welll when he went to skin him out and found the babies in there i woudl have to sya he aint gonna eat it anyway.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:07 PM
wabbits

Default wabbits

Well guys I've hunted many years with beagles and eaten plenty of rabbits. I personally prefer this time of year because ...well rabbits are rabbits and doing what rabbits do, there are a lot of pregnant ones out there.:eek
I find the pregnant ones are great for starting young dogs or running the very old dogs as well. The pregnant does [ that's rabbit hunter jargon for females] are heavy with young and consequently run slower. They are great for building the confidence in young dogs.
Because they have a belly full of youngsters, they are not packing much fat, making for a much leaner Hassenfeifer[ an excellent dish for rabbit lovers.]

And let's not forget the unborn young. They are hairless so no skinning required. as an added bonus, their bones are not yet hard and cleaning can be done easily with a simple squeezing.

Dip them in egg and seasoned flour, deep fry and bring on the dip mmmmmm!mmmmmmm! nothing finer.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:30 PM
packhuntr

Default Re: wabbits

wow...
Old 04-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Hares

Default Hares

I think we need to clarify that there is a difference in rabbits and hares , what i have hunted is actually snowshoe hares but like most have called them rabbits, a hares young are born with the fur on them but a rabbits does not have any fur.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:15 PM
gunslinger

Default Re: Hares

you got to be kidding me.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:54 PM
hares

Default hares

I guess your refering to redfrogs post.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:24 PM
gunslinger

Default Re: hares

yea
Old 04-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Davey Crocket

boys.... she's good eats, just like good OL' prarie oysters, dont knock 'em till ya try 'em.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:59 PM
grandzillaa

Default Re Jack Rabbits

Yes sir I see nice Jack rabbits most every day right where I work. Ten feet away and you can't shoot them. Between Edmonton Intr. airport Rd and Red Tail golf course.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:02 PM
chef

TUC , yes that was greg , ns beagler in tghe video, we actually havent shot any hare for awhile , its more of an excercise thing and keeping the dogs in tune ,
FORMERLY , thats right , hare are born fully haired and ready to fend for themselves pretty quick as rabbits like cottons or jacks are hairless and blind and milk from the doe for a few weeks or so ,
REDFROG , seems like someones been to china or the phillipenes where nothin is wasted , i guess a nice unborn deer or moose is a real tender treat.:b
whatever your taste may be im not sure deepfried is a good way to cook em ,HAIRLESS BABIES that is ,,,, try simmering them in a white wine court bullion , and thicken the stock reduction with a fine velvet roux and garnish them with some fresh truffles for an extra boost of aromatic flavour.
and as for running pregnant does , Dogs have to be super good as rumour has it , scent on these hare is deminished and almost scentless as a defence mechanism ,although the bucks are runnable , they seem to take the long way and can run the dog in a straight 3 mile race and out of sounding distance.
Pain in the butt for sure.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:24 PM
gunslinger

old davey crocket dont tell me you eat the unborn babies in a rabbits belly like red frog says he does
Old 04-15-2007, 08:41 PM
hares

Default hares

Puts a new spin on shoulda eaten you while your bones were still soft.:rolleyes
Old 04-17-2007, 01:50 AM
Tree Guy

Redfrog that was almost as hilariously offencive as me talking about having intercourse with my sister on the 'Great Global Swindle' thread! Nice try though!:rollin

Geeze...I can't believe I just said that.:b

Tree
Old 04-17-2007, 09:32 AM
bunnies

Default bunnies

Hey Tree Guy, I missed that. Have you got a link???

When we were kids, I hated going to my grandma's house. When I kissed her goodbye, she would always slip me her tongue.:eek :eek :eek

I'm done here.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Bunnie's

Default Bunnie's

"When we were kids, I hated going to my grandma's house. When I kissed her goodbye, she would always slip me her tongue. ":rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin Too Funny :lol :lol No waite I feel sick:x
Old 04-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Tree Guy

Default Re: Bunnie's

Hey Redfrog, I tried to bump the thread back up onto page one under 'General Discussions'. The exchange started on page two where Goonbag accused me of lowering the collective IQ of the thread. From there....well, I just couldn't resist having a little fun at his expense. Check it out, it was kinda funny.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Okotokian

Everyone has their own morality I guess, and should follow it. Interesting that a few of the people (maybe not here, but elsewhere) who would argue against ending the life of a rabbit fetus have no such compulsion when it comes to human ones... but I digress.

I assume that the reason there is no set season here for some animals is that the powers that be have no worries about populations being affected if these animals are taking during this time of year. More than enough of them. If your particular moral outlook is that killing mommy hare is fine, but if the fetus dies as a result that is abhorent, well, that's fine. I've no problem with that. Others think killing either is terrible, while others are fine with both. wouldn't bother me greatly. I think you are strolling past glass houses with rocks in your pocket when you start questioning/insulting people and saing that some sorts of killing is fine and should be encouraged, while others are not. Most people in society are not hunters and I suspect would not particularly agree with ANY of the positions taken in this chain.To them shooting mommy or baby rabbit is terrible, any time of year.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:15 PM
GoonBag

Quote:
Goonbag accused me of lowering the collective IQ of the thread
LOL, yeah, sometimes Tree Guy and I don't exactly see eye to eye. No harm, no foul, no hard feelings on my part, though.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:10 AM
Tree Guy

Goonbag, it's all good man! You're a great playmate, and I mean no offence. Just havin' some fun with someone who plays back! My sister says hi by the way!:rollin

Tree

PS Keep 'er coming! I'm good to go!
Old 04-21-2007, 11:13 AM
GoonBag

Quote:
My sister says hi by the way!
LOL!! :lol Oh man, that was funny. I actually spit out some of my morning coffee when I read that! :rollin :rollin
Old 04-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Tree Guy

Default Re: Goonbag

Hey Goon, was that not one of the funniest exchanges ever? My God, how does a global warming topic turn to incest, mullets and camaros?:rollin

I would like to publicly state at this point in time...my wife is a freakin' SAINT!!! She has to deal with me all the time everyday. And....if you can imagine, I am generally MUCH worse than that!!! >D

Sorry to hijack the thread here. I like rabbits alot. They are good. Don't shoot them when they are 'with child', like my sister was but...lol

Tree