Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2015, 06:34 PM

I also need to re certify, but will call 2 places in Edmonton, before I do chuck them, there are the companies, Im calling, found them from a google search:

Temp Heat
780-437 1759

and

Mutual Propane
1-800-688-8258

Will see if they still do any certifacations
Old 12-20-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
Would that be the same charge for knowingly defrauding a store out of a new tank?
No exchange program takes old tanks. Having one place do it by accident one time is no different than a gas jockey accidentally refilling an expired tank...it doesn't mean "yes they take them"
any 7/11 with young employees take any exchange, found a few old ones at the farm and brought them in for newer tanks, new tanks brought to costco for refill. sue me!
Old 12-20-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero View Post
any 7/11 with young employees take any exchange, found a few old ones at the farm and brought them in for newer tanks, new tanks brought to costco for refill. sue me!
So you took advantage of some young kid's ignorance and ripped off 7/11 to save yourself 30 bucks.
Congrats. You must be proud of yourself.
I bet when you go through the till and the person misses an item, you gleefully take it to your vehicle and keep your mouth shut too.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
So you took advantage of some young kid's ignorance and ripped off 7/11 to save yourself 30 bucks.
Congrats. You must be proud of yourself.
I bet when you go through the till and the person misses an item, you gleefully take it to your vehicle and keep your mouth shut too.
totally. getting more money than i paid handed back to me is great too. thanks chapters.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
How is this a solution? You're still only able to have 20lbs of propane. Either in one full one (the good one) or two tanks filled halfway!!
Crikey...take $30 and go buy a new one!
The cost of re-certification is almost the same as a brand spankin' new tank!!
.....hacks on how to cheap out on a big mac...how to save $5 for a 10 yr old tank...
What a bunch of cheapskate on its forum.
Its a solution because I get the old bottle partially filled without having to pay that stupid recert fee.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Any Edmonton Eco Station or any of the garbage dumps. Free too.

Thanks Dave
Old 12-20-2015, 08:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Its a solution because I get the old bottle partially filled without having to pay that stupid recert fee.

It's not stupid, it's very smart. Clearly it's a money grab and nothing more.

When tanks over 100 lbs. don't require re-certification and tanks forty years old don't leak and have never been re-certified it's clear what the purpose is.

Why ten years? What is the safe life expectancy of those valves anyway?

I know that oxygen and acetylene tanks require re-certification every ten years but that makes sense. They hold a lot, I mean a lot more pressure and get ten times the use in most situations.
But think about it, how many times a year does one use a propane barbecue or open the valves on the RV? On average.

Sure not three or four times a day five days a week fifty weeks of the year like a oxygen bottle on in a welding shop.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-20-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
So...you go to the station, buy 20 lbs of propane in your good tank. Come home, hook it up to your old tank, so now you have 20 lbs of propane still, but in two tanks. 10 in each. So then what? You run back down to fill up the good one again but with just 10 lbs, (cuz it's already half filled) and take THAT back home to then get 15 lbs in each tank? Really?!! And this is a good idea, how?? For all that trouble, you might as well just use the one good tank and run back and forth each time it's empty.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Clearly it's a money grab and nothing more.
You'll get no argument from me on that.
I completely agree with you. I think it's pure BS.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:57 PM

Just wondering what the average amount of fills in a 100 pounder versus the average 20 pounder might be? Is it the valve system or tank or both that gets recertified?

Could there be something to the above?

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
It's not stupid, it's very smart. Clearly it's a money grab and nothing more.

When tanks over 100 lbs. don't require re-certification and tanks forty years old don't leak and have never been re-certified it's clear what the purpose is.

Why ten years? What is the safe life expectancy of those valves anyway?

I know that oxygen and acetylene tanks require re-certification every ten years but that makes sense. They hold a lot, I mean a lot more pressure and get ten times the use in most situations.
But think about it, how many times a year does one use a propane barbecue or open the valves on the RV? On average.

Sure not three or four times a day five days a week fifty weeks of the year like a oxygen bottle on in a welding shop.
Nanny state at work. "Recertification" means a new valve, a litle spray paint if indicated and a date stamp.

Grizz
Old 12-21-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim Low View Post
Hey folks,

I got a couple of 20lbs. Tanks I want to get recertified. Does anyone know where I can get these done in Edmonton? Also, how much?

Not interested in those gas station exchanges.

Thanks
Westway Propane @ 50 Street and 76 Avenue in Edmonton. I have used them for years for forklift propane tanks and my personal propane needs.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
recertifying kits are available.....

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGI...m_code=WSWSFK8
That's all we used to do at the farm. My buddy's dad was a gas fitter, and would change out the valve, then one of us would hit it with those exact stamps, adding 10 years certification to them. We would do it responsibly however, and never change the valve out on a tank with any rust on it.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
20lbs of propane can be transferred between tanks pretty quickly with a hose and appropriate fittings. Leave the empty tank out side in the cold and warm the full one just to room temp. Invert the full bottle and it'll be done even faster.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
totally. getting more money than i paid handed back to me is great too. thanks chapters.
the next time someone helps themselves to something from your vehicle or campsite don't come here crying about it. Just reside yourself to the fact that karma paid you a visit and there are more like you out there

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 12-21-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike View Post
the next time someone helps themselves to something from your vehicle or campsite don't come here crying about it. Just reside yourself to the fact that karma paid you a visit and there are more like you out there
lol
Old 12-21-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
20lbs of propane can be transferred between tanks pretty quickly with a hose and appropriate fittings. Leave the empty tank out side in the cold and warm the full one just to room temp. Invert the full bottle and it'll be done even faster.
Now were talking
Old 12-21-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
So...you go to the station, buy 20 lbs of propane in your good tank. Come home, hook it up to your old tank, so now you have 20 lbs of propane still, but in two tanks. 10 in each. So then what? You run back down to fill up the good one again but with just 10 lbs, (cuz it's already half filled) and take THAT back home to then get 15 lbs in each tank? Really?!! And this is a good idea, how?? For all that trouble, you might as well just use the one good tank and run back and forth each time it's empty.
Well not really... The old tank has stayed on the trailer and gets used up as it gets filled.
Not ideal but I live no where near where I can get that stupid money grab recert job done. The old tank has the new OPD valve on it by the way and works just fine.
As mentioned this is nothing but a money grab... the bottle/valve is probably the last thing to fail on a propane system.

I think Mayhem has it figured out
Old 12-22-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Now were talking
Yep...If ambient temps are too warm place the empty in the shade and spray a light stream of cool water over it.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
So tell me, why do they need a pump to fill them at the station? Also important a new tank be purged to get a proper fill, according to the guys that recertified my tank,

Grizz
Old 12-22-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
So tell me, why do they need a pump to fill them at the station? Also important a new tank be purged to get a proper fill, according to the guys that recertified my tank,

Grizz
Pump takes less than a minute....In ideal temps it takes about 15-20 mins. Set it up, shovel your sidewalk, putz around, whatever, just don't leave unattended. I used to have an F-150 on propane and when I ran out of fuel I could drain a 20 in there within a couple mins as the hose from the filler to the tank was a larger.

Not sure about a new tank although the guy at Costmo didn't do anything different with mine prior to filling.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:50 PM

New Tanks are often pre- purged.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:15 AM

New tanks have to be purged. We used to charge $10 extra for this service.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:50 AM

Again, many new tanks are now pre purged....they are marked on the label.