Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
I don't understand.
Don't try to pump the economy back up. Let is slow down a little. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking hundreds of thousands unemployed, but we could do with one less mega project, 20,000 less people arriving every year, and one less quad in the trailer. When Alberta hits 8 million people, when Calgary hits 3 million, will Alberta be a better place to live, or a worse place? Will the hunting and fishing be better, or worse?
Old 02-06-2015, 10:10 AM

We could put a methane filter on the microphone @ political gatherings, the energy created would power half the small towns in AB, allowing us to export electricity.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:11 AM

Default Government

Have a system of Government where the loyal opposition doesn't just hop into bed with the ruling party . Where the government really charges a real chunk for pumping money out of province in the form of oil . Perhaps saving some of the money collected into .. oh I don't know maybe an untouchable fund NOT managed by cronies of insestious former politicians. Maybe call it the New Herritage Fund .
Old 02-06-2015, 10:31 AM

Charging for hospital/emergency room visits is ridiculous. It would mean nothing to the Redfords of Alberta but would put unfair costs on people who cannot afford all the luxuries of life - like say a single mother who cannot afford a quart of milk for her infant. If a supposedly minor ailment is not treated it can evolve into something a lot more serious and costly.

We would be better off if income tax was charged and paid in the province where it was earned. That way all the people from out of province would be paying monies to our government not the provinces back east or wherever.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 02-06-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Don't try to pump the economy back up. Let is slow down a little. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking hundreds of thousands unemployed, but we could do with one less mega project, 20,000 less people arriving every year, and one less quad in the trailer. When Alberta hits 8 million people, when Calgary hits 3 million, will Alberta be a better place to live, or a worse place? Will the hunting and fishing be better, or worse?
Okay, I get that, but I believe there is no way to slow population expansion, and there seems to be no way collect from 'visitors' today.

Possibly too many tags going out coupled with an inability to curb poaching.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:46 AM

make patient initiated visits billable if you are legitimately sick the doctor can recommend seeing you in a week, that one is doctor initiated and could be free.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
Charging for hospital/emergency room visits is ridiculous. It would mean nothing to the Redfords of Alberta but would put unfair costs on people who cannot afford all the luxuries of life - like say a single mother who cannot afford a quart of milk for her infant. If a supposedly minor ailment is not treated it can evolve into something a lot more serious and costly.

We would be better off if income tax was charged and paid in the province where it was earned. That way all the people from out of province would be paying monies to our government not the provinces back east or wherever.
No offence here. But speaking from experience I'll tell you that any single parent can get maintenance enforcement involved (MEP).
I highly doubt a child is going without milk.

The system that is MEP and divorce is a massive expenditure for this province.
Until you are in it, you don't realize what a big business it is.
Courts are brimming and that has a cost mostly because of greed from one side.
Enter in the court judges, security. Bricks and mortar, ongoing expenses.
It's an endless pit. And it costs this province way too much.
It's part of a system that is designed to suck us down. And keep people employed.

You would be surprised how much social money there is for that single mom.
If she can't afford milk, she should stop smoking...
Hang up the keys to the highlander and drive a 8 year old windstar

I don't know if altering this program would help save the province money, but I do know there are a pile of people employed that don't know chit from brown gravy.
Many of them don't even know our language very well. And that right there costs us money when people get things wrong the first time.

Coffee is done and I'm back to work

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 02-06-2015, 11:13 AM

Nevermind
Old 02-06-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
Okay, I get that, but I believe there is no way to slow population expansion,
Sure there is. Slowing development slows immigration (I'm talking about province-to-province immigration too).
Old 02-06-2015, 11:17 AM

MEP was strongly suggested to the ex & I years ago. We were apart for years already & I paid support, ski passes, school clothes, etc. I would have been embarrassed to use it, ex just signed the waiver & I paid her directly, allowed for some flexibility, better for the kids in the end. Unfortunate that MEP is even needed, deadbeat dads & moms, I guess.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:17 AM
Banned

Review crown land lease rates
Review the oil and gas surface revenue split on crown lands
Tax the dirty coal fired power generation stations and incentivize natural gas power generation
Provide a $$ reward for anyone who brings forward possible corruption or conflict of interest when public funds are involved
Old 02-06-2015, 11:29 AM

Some of these walk in clinics are a JOKE!!!!!!!!
All they are there for is to hand out prescriptions
Go to a rural walk in clinic sit and watch the people go in and come out with a prescription. They get it filled and then they go outside and sell them.
A friend of mines sister went to see the walk in clinic doctor. He gave her a prescription then looks out the window and says DOES ANYBODY IN THE CAR NEED ANYTHING!!!!! WTF
Old 02-06-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post

I know lots of single moms, heck I married one She always had a job, drove a 9 year old windstar and grew a large garden. Never could not afford milk or any other staple. Also didn't frequent clincs for minor problems. Lots of programs in place including MEP. You do not need to go without if you are even remotely good at managing your money. Sorry but the BS in above post struck a nerve
Old 02-06-2015, 12:25 PM

Seems as though many on here believe that procuring more government money by creating more laws and writing more tickets will help the economy somehow. Answer me this: how is taking more money from hurting citizens and lavishing it upon a wasteful government supposed to help the economy? The more money we give them, the more they waste.

Reduce government fat. Lean times call for lean living.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:37 PM

Back to the OP's original question.

To help Alberta with today's economic worries/concerns

If I could, for starters I would cut the Provincial Caucus by 1/2. I would have the Premier approve all expense reports. I would give the caucus 30 days to trim and remove all unnecessary expenditures from their portfolios. Trim the fat so to speak and make sure they were operating as lean as possible.
While there at it I would cut MLA's and Premieres wages by a further 20 percent.

I would continue to build schools and get as many of the unemployed working on these projects as possible. The General contractors would be on a performance based contract that would reward them for complete the projects on time on budget, and penalize them when they fail to meet budget or time limitations.

I'd look to the private sector and try to encourage investors to create jobs and the necessary infrastructure to produce refined products in our province instead of shipping the raw resource abroad and then having to buy it back at a premium. The goal would be to keep Albertans working in Alberta.

I'd freeze all new spending and only continue projects that are currently underway and deemed necessary by the communities that they are in.

I'd freeze all government employee wages, with a promise to review once provincial revenues return to levels that can support the increases. This wage freeze would get priority once revenues have returned.

I'd tax booze, smokes and corporations.

Not sure I could achieve all of this, however I sure would try too.

BW
Old 02-06-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post

If I could, for starters I would cut the Provincial Caucus by 1/2. I would have the Premier approve all expense reports. I would give the caucus 30 days to trim and remove all unnecessary expenditures from their portfolios. Trim the fat so to speak and make sure they were operating as lean as possible.
While there at it I would cut MLA's and Premieres wages by a further 20 percent.

I would continue to build schools and get as many of the unemployed working on these projects as possible. The General contractors would be on a performance based contract that would reward them for complete the projects on time on budget, and penalize them when they fail to meet budget or time limitations.

I'd look to the private sector and try to encourage investors to create jobs and the necessary infrastructure to produce refined products in our province instead of shipping the raw resource abroad and then having to buy it back at a premium. The goal would be to keep Albertans working in Alberta.

I'd freeze all new spending and only continue projects that are currently underway and deemed necessary by the communities that they are in.

I'd freeze all government employee wages, with a promise to review once provincial revenues return to levels that can support the increases. This wage freeze would get priority once revenues have returned.

BW

You got my vote.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post
Seems as though many on here believe that procuring more government money by creating more laws and writing more tickets will help the economy somehow. Answer me this: how is taking more money from hurting citizens and lavishing it upon a wasteful government supposed to help the economy? The more money we give them, the more they waste.

If you are speeding, doing after market changes to your truck or breaking any other law you can't be hurting that bad? It's not a secret that speeding can = a ticket not to mention burn more gas. People in drastic financial situations often don't even drive.

A charge for healthcare visit is IMO a poor plan. I work in healthcare and would be ashamed to work in a pay for care system. There are systems in place to help people less fortunate but there are many out there that try there hardest and I mean hardest to not use them. Maybe out of pride or I really don't know but I have seen people who truly struggle come in for medical care that may have skipped the visit with a payment involved.

What I would support is a fee for no shows who take important spots. Can even make it as long as you give .5hr notice there is no charge because many of the spots can be used and rebooked in 5 mins. I would also support a charge for people that choose not to follow through after they seek medical help. What I mean but this is you have a knee replacement and choose not to go to follow ups, choose not to go to physio and the recovery program then anything afterwards needed medically for that knee should be on your dime. Same with the guy that went for his triple bypass goes home only remember to take his meds once and a while and downs a 2L of coke, 2 bags of chips and a big mac everyday.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post

BW
Have my vote too
Old 02-06-2015, 01:22 PM

Roll back budgets to previous years where oil prices were the same. Stop artificially increasing budget every year to make it look like you did something and this should be done for every department. Fire stogy old bureaucrats that insist on increasing budget and cannot justify it.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post

The hurting Albertans that got smacked by someone who was texting or speeding or some other violation....
Ya.
I would be down for a $500 fine for texting and driving. Plus a victims surcharge.

It costs money to provide healthcare to people who get injured by no fault of their own. Or their fault.

I don't disagree that there is massive waste of money by government.
It's ugly.

Several years ago AHS brought in a computer system for a segment of the industry. The system was designed in the 70's and was being implemented just a few years ago.
So after 3 ish years it's been decided to scrap that system and bring in a new one as the program wasnt working.
Now employees get to be paid to retrain on this new system.
Why would they care? They get paid regardless.

Then we all heard about the computers that were found in a storage room where they remained un opened in boxes....
Heads really should role in that department.

Next big blunder do you think Mandel will be held responsible??

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 02-06-2015, 03:58 PM

To answer the OP question:

Time.

And my musing: a federal leader who has the goodwill of all provinces in order to build both east-west and west-east pipelines within Canada.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadham View Post
To answer the OP question:

Time.

And my musing: a federal leader who has the goodwill of all provinces in order to build both east-west and west-east pipelines within Canada.
If only. Imagine the possibilities.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:26 PM

Default Just a idea.

Well it's just a opinion but what about having every resident pay tax and income tax. Stop the race based privileges. Now I may get banned for this opinion but I think this would help lots.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:36 PM

Cut Politicians and government managers severance payouts after only 5 or 6 years of service.

Trim the fat in government would be a good start.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C & C View Post
If you are speeding, doing after market changes to your truck or breaking any other law you can't be hurting that bad? It's not a secret that speeding can = a ticket not to mention burn more gas. People in drastic financial situations often don't even drive.

A charge for healthcare visit is IMO a poor plan. I work in healthcare and would be ashamed to work in a pay for care system. There are systems in place to help people less fortunate but there are many out there that try there hardest and I mean hardest to not use them. Maybe out of pride or I really don't know but I have seen people who truly struggle come in for medical care that may have skipped the visit with a payment involved.

What I would support is a fee for no shows who take important spots. Can even make it as long as you give .5hr notice there is no charge because many of the spots can be used and rebooked in 5 mins. I would also support a charge for people that choose not to follow through after they seek medical help. What I mean but this is you have a knee replacement and choose not to go to follow ups, choose not to go to physio and the recovery program then anything afterwards needed medically for that knee should be on your dime. Same with the guy that went for his triple bypass goes home only remember to take his meds once and a while and downs a 2L of coke, 2 bags of chips and a big mac everyday.
Big Sighhhhhh.
When will people realize we do "pay for care". And a lot more than we should....
Old 02-06-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
All Gov employies ( MLA's, City Councilers ) ONLY, work 1 extra hr every day with no extra pay, 1/2 day on Saturday's.
Very bad idea. They'll do more damage, attend more meetings, invent new rules.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Very bad idea. They'll do more damage, attend more meetings, invent new rules.
More hours worked by politicians means an increase in bull manure which is great for farming, so there just needs to be a program to take the BS from politicians and spread it on the farms left in Alberta that are still owned by Albertans.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:35 PM

Love how most want to tax booze and smokes that only taxes a small group of people. If you want to tax some thing that would make a diferance tax the gas pumps that way you get every person in or going through the province.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:17 PM
Banned

My idea to save the Alberta economy is for every Albertan to get off their ass, have a sense of pride in what you do , strive to make a buck, put good service at the forefront, stop expecting handouts, have an interest in their job, don't whine when you go home with a sore back, work when you are capable,not expect top dollar all the time, never lose interest, work your butt off, realize goals, say nothing, ask more and say less, talk positively, and last but not least fire yourself when you know you're not living up to your own expectations.

The sad part about this is I would put money on ISIS taking over Canada before any of the above materialized.We're just a bunch of lazy *** that like to whine about our problems.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:45 PM
Banned

All politician pensions are to based solely on contribution. If you get elected one term, you receive pension for four years, two terms 8 years etc. What you receive is based on the dollars you contribute while working. This IMO is the biggest waste of money in the province.

All transmission "payments" for Public servants cancelled.

All severance pay for "contract" work cancelled.

All tax free money for politicians will now be taxed.

The number of senior managers in AHS cut by two thirds.

The politicians roll back their wage another 15%, the 2012 raise of 30% was absolutely criminal.

To eliminate the "stealing" of our money, all politicians caught lying on their expenses, or conflict of interest, will be charged with theft/fraud. If convicted they loose their job immediately, loose all pensions, and must pay back every dollar they stole. If they stole over 100K, mandatory jail time.

If all of these things were done, running a deficit, would be nothing but a bad memory in our province, regardless of the price of oil.

Last edited by bobalong; 02-06-2015 at 11:53 PM.