Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2011, 05:42 PM

Default Questions & Answers

30 years ago when I was beginning my career , my supervisor told me " There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers".

Think about it !
Old 02-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Normally a search will provide the answers without having to start a new thread

However in this day and age most just want to type a question without the effort of doing some research first

Just because a thread is six months old, doesnt mean its contents have necessarily expired

Regardless, I tend to respond to a new thread about something that has already been beaten to death in the past

Do you think it is possible that some newbies are also internet newbies and haven't figured out yet how to use search functions and the like?
They might not even realize there is such a thing as a search function.

I'm not an internet newbie by any definition, but it took me a while to find the search function on this site.

Yeah I know where it is now and how to use it. The reason I didn't notice it right away is because when I am reading or responding I am scrolled down the page a bit and the top bar with the search button is off the top of my screen.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Funny. Do we have AO gang signs and colours? If so, I missed the workshop.

AFAI am concerned, newbies only really get jumped on when they get snippy or start spreading crap info when they obviously know squat.

Just saying.
Really.
So only the founding members are allowed to do such things?

I don't know what it was like when you joined but when I joined I saw a number of the resident members jumping on folks for no apparent reason.
Like one of the first hot exchanges I got into arose from one resident telling a newbie to go beg his mommy for a pair of binoculars, because the kid admitted that he had scoped a deer he was thinking of shooting.
Kid wasn't being snippy or arrogant at all, the resident certainly was.

Sure, now I'll get jumped on for advocating scoping people, you just watch.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
My... you live a sheltered life if you haven't had a mojito before
I admit, I have no idea what that is. But since it seems to be so important to some, I guess I'll have to Google it.

I suppose most folks here would find it hilarious that I didn't know what a Lead Sled was.

To me it was an old car with a lot of body repairs or alterations.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I admit, I have no idea what that is. But since it seems to be so important to some, I guess I'll have to Google it.

I suppose most folks here would find it hilarious that I didn't know what a Lead Sled was.

To me it was an old car with a lot of body repairs or alterations.
Quantities for one drink:
2-3 oz Light Rum
Juice of 1 Lime (1 oz)
2 tsp Sugar
2-4 Mint Sprigs
Soda Water
Blending Instructions:
Lightly muddle the mint and sugar with a splash of soda water in a mixing glass until the sugar dissolve and you smell the mint
Squeeze the lime into the glass, add rum and shake with ice
Strain over cracked ice in a highball glass
Top with soda water, garnish with mint sprig and serve
Old 02-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Other sites I have been involved with had manditory introductions.

First the newbies offered to buy a round of drinks for everyone.
The drink was of the newbies choice and that was rather telling.

Once that offering was completed they gave their information and interest.

For example.

I'm Jennifer, single mom of Stinky.
We fish, I dont hunt however stinky has expressed strong interest in learning how to hunt.
We are in the calgary area.
When I am not in my office telling men where to go and how to get there I am spending time with stinky.

You guys get the idea. It just breaks the ice and then people have an idea of who you are and what your interested in.
To follow your and nova's lead,

Hi I'm Keg and I am Batwomans hubby, a father and a grandfather.

I have lived north of Manning for most of my life.

I hunt, not so much anymore, I used to trap and I teach trapping. I love to fish and I'm a nature nut, and an amateur photographer.

I'd buy the house a round of prune juice. No time like the present to get regular.

I shoot 30-30 30-06 and 303 on big game and 22 22mag and 218 bee on smaller critters.

I reload. And I have done a bit of gunsmithing.

I'm a truck driver by trade but a jack all trades and a master of two.
Truck driving and forest regeneration surveys. Certified in 1986.

Time for me to sit on the sidelines and give others a chance to have their say.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
2-3 oz Light Rum
Juice of 1 Lime (1 oz)
2 tsp Sugar
2-4 Mint Sprigs
Soda Water
Blending Instructions:
Lightly muddle the mint and sugar with a splash of soda water in a mixing glass until the sugar dissolve and you smell the mint
LOL well that explains a lot. I can't drink, the stuff just knocks me flat.
Two beer and I'm down for the count.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:37 PM

Thumbs up Mojito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
. . . but I hadn't even heard of a Mojito till I read it here today. I feel like a better hunter just knowing there is a mojito . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
My... you live a sheltered life if you haven't had a mojito before
Quote:
2-3 oz Light Rum
Juice of 1 Lime (1 oz)
2 tsp Sugar
2-4 Mint Sprigs
Soda Water
Blending Instructions:

Looks like this ...

Cheers

TF
Old 02-20-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Really.
So only the founding members are allowed to do such things?

I don't know what it was like when you joined but when I joined I saw a number of the resident members jumping on folks for no apparent reason.
Like one of the first hot exchanges I got into arose from one resident telling a newbie to go beg his mommy for a pair of binoculars, because the kid admitted that he had scoped a deer he was thinking of shooting.
Kid wasn't being snippy or arrogant at all, the resident certainly was.

Sure, now I'll get jumped on for advocating scoping people, you just watch.
My favorite was the guy who asked which way you move the back site if you're hitting to the right of the target.

He got chewed because it was already fall and it was unethical to be sighting in your gun so late in the year.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Banned

my real name is dale, but bambi, isb or sometimes ******* will work too. ive lived in medicine hat most of my life....a couple years in vernon bc. ive hunted in this province in every corner and a lot of points in between...whitetails are my favorite. i live with robin and our 4...count em...4 TEENAGERS. i call it like i see it without sugar coating it and sometimes that offends folk. on the bright side you dont have to wonder what i say behind your back....cuz ill say it to your face. just seems easier that way. if it were my turn to buy, either a tequila paralyzer or gibsons finest.

ps, call me arrogant if you like but i think binoculars should be mandatory for all hunters. it would save a lot of fellow hunters from being viewed through crosshairs.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxyzptik View Post
My favorite was the guy who asked which way you move the back site if you're hitting to the right of the target.

He got chewed because it was already fall and it was unethical to be sighting in your gun so late in the year.
That is kinda like my mouse is on the edge of its pad but the cursor is in the midle of my screen type question.

If your gun has a lock on the trigger, and you are going to a range, as far as I know you can still go a range in season without a hunting licence.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Cell View Post
Ding, you got it.

No wait, it is a "Alberta City Thing" I have noticed that alot. Or maybe just a people thing.

Kinda like one apple.
ok newbie...with 6 posts how much could you have seen?

relax.....i aint serious.....
Old 02-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Banned

I think that my wife has a couple of those drinks downstairs. The flowers look different though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post
Looks like this ...

Cheers

TF
Old 02-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
ps, call me arrogant if you like but i think binoculars should be mandatory for all hunters. it would save a lot of fellow hunters from being viewed through crosshairs.
Hi dale, my friends call me Jim, or sometimes Hillbilly Jim. Or just hillbilly.

I wouldn't consider it arrogant, but perhaps misguided.

Where I hunt Binoculars would be next to useless. Except when scouting.

This is bush country and rather flat to boot. Typical ranges for spotting game is under two hundred yards. My eyes are less then 20 20 now and I have no trouble seeing all I need to see on game at those ranges.

Besides, what about those who use only iron sights. I can't imagine anyone using iron sights to check out a critter or to try to spot one. It would be less then useless.
If it did happen I submit that such a person is too dumb to hunt and should be banned from getting a license rather then forced to buy binoculars that he would no doubt not use anyway.

I understand the problem, and the reason for concern. I have tried to think of a viable solution but so far nothing comes to mind.

The way I see it, anyone dumb enough to mistake a human for a deer would be too dumb to tell the difference even with a pair of binoculars, sometimes.
Anyone so arrogant as to point a rifle at another person, knowing that it is a human they are looking at are arrogant enough to do so no matter what the law requires of them.

A swift kick to the crotch comes to mind, but that probably wouldn't do much. Such a person probably has nothing there anyway.

Opps, could get myself into hot water here. Gotta go.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:57 PM

My absolute favorite was the new guy that came in, fresh out of a gun store in a city, saying he had just bought the best rifle ever made, stating the Salesman told him the 'calibre was so fast that it kep accelerating out to 450 yards, and the bullet did not even start to drop until 500 yards out!

WOW did he get pizzy when people laughed at him, I wish we would have saved that one before it was deleted entirely.

That poor guy.

Not being a big drinker, I would say steaks are on the menu at our house instead of barley sandwiches.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-20-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
ok newbie...with 6 posts how much could you have seen?

relax.....i aint serious.....
My first post was enough, as I am new to this site.

Not sure why I joined as I have more fun shooting by myself FOR THE SAME REASONS as I have hung out with guys that were new into guns, but knew everything about them suposidly. I guess it was to learn something about reloading or maybe a oddball caliber.

But you can find all sorts of stuff online, and if you are smart enough weed out what does not make secnce through past experiences, if you have had enough.

I have found the people that know the most about their job, hobbie and so on are the most relaxed and most easy going.

And the ones that THINK they know everything, are the most insecure, easiest to freakout. So they divert attention from their insecurities.

Oh I have been operating firearms from age 8 and I am 37 now so you do the math. I have shot up more cars, fence posts, buildings, gophers, farm cats, coyotes, deer, prairechickens, grouse, pheasant, ducks, geese, and skunks than your average.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

I have found the people that know the most about their job, hobbie and so on are the most relaxed and most easy going.

And the ones that THINK they know everything, are the most insecure, easiest to freakout. So they divert attention from their insecurities.
I think you are right. At least most of the time.
There are some, a few who mean well and know what they are talking about, but are not good communicators.

They get frustrated and loose their cool when they are repeatedly misunderstood. I hope I am in that category.
I do know I often sound clueless. And I know in some things I am, but I have learned a thing or two over the years.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I think that my wife has a couple of those drinks downstairs. The flowers look different though.
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the king and parliament
All up alive!
Eat, Drink, and be merry for tomorrow we shall surely die
Certified tinfoil hat wearing redneck.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Oh I have been operating firearms from age 8 and I am 37 now so you do the math. I have shot up more cars, fence posts, buildings, gophers, farm cats, coyotes, deer, prairechickens, grouse, pheasant, ducks, geese, and skunks than your average.

you sound more awesome "than the average" too.......

this site definitely attracts some good sportsman....unfortunately it also attracts a lot of scum. Take the good with the bad, or just post sparingly. Ill choose the latter.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
My absolute favorite was the new guy that came in, fresh out of a gun store in a city, saying he had just bought the best rifle ever made, stating the Salesman told him the 'calibre was so fast that it kep accelerating out to 450 yards, and the bullet did not even start to drop until 500 yards out!

WOW did he get pizzy when people laughed at him, I wish we would have saved that one before it was deleted entirely.

That poor guy.
Shot! That darned salesman got two of us!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:38 PM

This may help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9q2jNjOPdk
Old 02-20-2011, 10:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yup, nothing like a day out shooting cars, fence posts, buildings and farm cats eh D-Cell? It kind of reminds me of what this thread is all about.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Yup, nothing like a day out shooting cars, fence posts, buildings and farm cats eh D-Cell? It kind of reminds me of what this thread is all about.
Yes the veichles had not moved in 20-50 + years, the buildings were just about to fall down. In both cases I was with the landowner.

And I never actually shot any cats that was a fib. Even being wildones they do their thing cleaning up on mice and rats and usually fall victim to coyotes. And the skunks I never should have shot. There should be a reason to shooting what you are shooting ie population control with gophers as they have young ones every 28 days. Or with hunting you are going to use/eat what you have shot.

Not something I should have posted as alot of the people on here did not grow up on farms and will be setting a bad example. As you should NEVER go and shoot up anyones property as it is illegal.

Safety is key, make sure of target & beyond, will it richochet? and how far is a safe distance and so on. If you are unsure dont do it.

If you are the landowner and your target is a veichle, washmachine, fridge stove good enough and it is done in a safe enviroment, if you are unsure ABSOLUETLY DO NOT DO IT. Always have permission that should be an odvious one. If you live in a city and have never hunted on private land go with someone who has, or stick to ranges & follow the rules.

Last edited by D-Cell; 02-21-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Gone Hunting

I think we have all shot at things we should not have. I know I sure did.
I'm not proud of that and have not talked about it before because of that.

Nothing terrible. Just things I wish I had not done. Like shooting at a tin can on a post and the bullet ricocheted and hit my buddy. No harm done, it was just a 22 short, but it taught us both a good lesson and scared the poo out of us.
Or trying to break the wires on dads fence with our 22s. Didn't sit too comfortable for a few days after that one.

I suppose that is why I don't get all up in arms about some other folks admitting to doing things the wrong way.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:55 AM

^^ .22 at a tire in a junk pile nearly pierced my ear ^^
Did the scheme contrive,
All up alive!
Old 02-21-2011, 01:55 PM

Default I thought Mojito was a candle fragrance....duh

WOW and here I thought Mojito was a candle fragrance when I got a jar candle from my Partylite Consultant.

OK I am Batwoman, married to Keg River.

I am learning to shoot and would be farther along if someone had sighted their guns in before they took me target shooting at dusk and gave me a Coffee Mate Creamer container to hit on a gravel road (so they blended in to me) AND then told me not to wear my glasses **HORRORS HOW AM I TO SEE THE CLOSE UP STUFF LIKE MY INSTRUCTOR**

It has most recently been suggested a paint gun be purchased for me to shoot at bears who might like to walk through our yard...... I had one informative meeting on bear shooting from Fish and Wildlife - like be near a door to your house when you shoot at a bear - I must really look green - No, seriously due to the way our house is situated with bush on the north and south he warned me the sound of a shot could bounce off of the house and confuse a bear and rather than running away from the person shooting, the animal might very well run towards el shooter. VERY GOOD TO KNOW

For now I am patiently waiting for more lessons now that the guns have been sighted I should be much better eh man?

I have only shot a .22 and that was at 4-H camp many many years ago and then they had us on our bellies with the guns propped on a log (those were no stupid instructors from where I was raised).

I am not a native Albertan, not even a native Canadian but I am trying to become one, honest I am.

I spent 30 years in residential and commercial construction doing paperwork and legwork. NOPE, I cannot use any power tools with the exception of a screw gun which one of my last Project Engineers made me learn to use to take our office door off the hinges so we would have more room. THANK YOU RICK.

I have seen the introduction of new members on other websites too and it is a good ice breaker. My thanks to FishingMOM.

I am not a bad speller BUT I tend to use the word THAT way too many times when I write. A poor habit I learned at one job....add that to the sentences to make them longer and fill up the page when you write a letter....OH dear me now I am trying hard to undo "that" habit. So grammar is a bit on the hurting side - bear with me.....

I like to read - just ask Keg - poor man - one series of books had similar covers so I think he thought I was reading the same book for over 3 months....little did he know..... oops cats out of the bag.

I tend to the home, the bird, and our new puppy, Bonney, and I still look for Liz. I also am in charge of making the Honey Do lists

I don't check in here everyday but I do look in so y'all bees nice to each other.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Gone Hunting

I can see I'm going to have to set up a shooting range.
Or I'll have multi coloured bears parading through the yard.

The woman never does ANYTHING half way.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:46 PM

Dang I don't jump newbies. I am a equal opportunity jumper. hehe Somedays I am a good guy and some days I am down and dirty. hehe Pick your day.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 02-21-2011, 06:13 PM

those are just target rings just to make hunting easier( unless some one cant hit a bears behind even with a sighted in gun ) Jk Jk Jk laughing still about the green and red spotted bears out your way
Did the scheme contrive,
All up alive!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
You forgot road signs there Davey Crocket Then you wonder why the government wants to take away Firearms!!!!!!