Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-30-2024, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
It has nothing to do with hunting or being an outdoorsman. It has everything to do with protecting my livestock because our government is incapable of managing the grizzly population.
So there’s no difference if you kill a bear slowly with a gut shot or quickly with heart lung shot?
Or was your reference just more less a figure of speech I’m guessing.
I don’t believe you would aim for the guts if you had a cleaner kill option.
Old 05-31-2024, 06:21 AM

So why no pictures?
Remember when whole world was going on about some ducks that died in a retaining pond up in Fort Mac and all the experts on tv talking about shutting down oil sands
Old 05-31-2024, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
So why no pictures?
Remember when whole world was going on about some ducks that died in a retaining pond up in Fort Mac and all the experts on tv talking about shutting down oil sands
Really?

-Billy Molls
Old 05-31-2024, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
So there’s no difference if you kill a bear slowly with a gut shot or quickly with heart lung shot?
Or was your reference just more less a figure of speech I’m guessing.
I don’t believe you would aim for the guts if you had a cleaner kill option.
I believe the reason for the gut shot is so the bear goes and dies in the deep bush , not in your corral, pasture, or yard.
Old 05-31-2024, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
I believe the reason for the gut shot is so the bear goes and dies in the deep bush , not in your corral, pasture, or yard.
It's unfortunate the government has let it get to this point.
No one wants to make the front page of the paper for protecting livestock.
Open it up same as they did with cats 16 or 17 years ago on private land
Old 05-31-2024, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
It's unfortunate the government has let it get to this point.
No one wants to make the front page of the paper for protecting livestock.
Open it up same as they did with cats 16 or 17 years ago on private land
Agreed, even if you shoot in self defense, you're facing an inquisition.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-31-2024, 01:06 PM

Quote:
X2
And don't talk about it
Old 05-31-2024, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Exactly, after losing livestock that F&W will do nothing about no rancher is going to shoot and kill a bear on their own property. Not only have they lost livestock, they will face huge fines, lose hunting priveleges and have to deal with all the do gooders on their case for killing a grizzly. Ranchers are pretty much forced to do the gut shot thing if they want to stop loseing livestock and not get themselves in deep crap. F&W generally are not much help, in fact they are the cause of ranchers having to resort to the gut shot scenario or poison to stop the problem.
Old 06-01-2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
So you condone purposely gut-shooting an animal to let it suffer to death? Ya, for sure that's something to be proud of. Great example to put out there for kids, and especially for anti-hunters and tree-huggers. Alberta outdoorsman-of-the-year material right there!!!
Agreed. If you need to shoot something shoot it and kill it. Having wounded animals wandering around is both disgusting and dangerous.
Old 06-01-2024, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Agreed. If you need to shoot something shoot it and kill it. Having wounded animals wandering around is both disgusting and dangerous.
While some of you guys are bleating about wounded bears you intentionally avoided crying over the wounded, dying, ravaged sheep. Hypocrisy from the city slicker crowd.
Old 06-01-2024, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Exactly, after losing livestock that F&W will do nothing about no rancher is going to shoot and kill a bear on their own property. Not only have they lost livestock, they will face huge fines, lose hunting priveleges and have to deal with all the do gooders on their case for killing a grizzly. Ranchers are pretty much forced to do the gut shot thing if they want to stop loseing livestock and not get themselves in deep crap. F&W generally are not much help, in fact they are the cause of ranchers having to resort to the gut shot scenario or poison to stop the problem.
Wolves are worse but grizzlies can be awful nuisance. You can't just shoot shovel shut up because always someone around. Seems remote but really places with grizzlies always have people around. You would have to bury right away with escavater because damn coyotes and everything else keeps digging it up overnight. Then everything scattered and darn magpies give away location to everyone who are always out glassing, hiking, whatever. If you want privacy forget about anything in hills or whaleback.
Even worse if someone else shoots the bear that's on your place with your cows because fishcop blames the rancher and you have to prove yourself innocent now a days
Old 06-01-2024, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarjay View Post
It would be nice if they would let us know where they release that bear. Don’t think I want that bear in my horse herd when I’m doing summer trips in the mountains.
A source close to my wife says Mom and one cub relocated to the Peace river. Still looking for the 2nd cub.
Tullfan
Old 06-01-2024, 08:15 PM

What a waste of tax payer dollars. If the bear was killing livestock in the south I’m sure it will do the same around Peace River.
Old 06-01-2024, 08:18 PM

Interesting link says page was removed.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-01-2024, 10:17 PM

Quote:
What a waste of tax payer dollars. If the bear was killing livestock in the south I’m sure it will do the same around Peace River.
Lol, my wifes source said the same thing. They didn't kill it so there would be no public out cry. They just moved the problem somewhere else. That being said. She was not privy to the actual whereabouts, so, hopefully they relocated it far enough away that it won't be a problem at another farm.

Tullfan
Old 06-01-2024, 10:24 PM

A buddy had a small herd of those miniature horses. One year he started seeing the horses were getting torn up, not killed outright, but they continued getting maimed one at a time and he was being forced to put down the injured animals.

Trail cams eventually revealed that wolves were the culprits.

But he lost his entire herd to them.

I don't remember if he was able to kill any of the wolves.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 06-02-2024, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Interesting link says page was removed.
Yep, completely gone. Doesn't even show up if you go to their Western Wheel website and search for it.
Here is a link to the story in the Calgary Herald for future use:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...r-fort-macleod

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 06-02-2024, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
no rancher is going to shoot and kill a bear on their own property. Not only have they lost livestock, they will face huge fines, lose hunting priveleges and have to deal with all the do gooders on their case for killing a grizzly. Ranchers are pretty much forced to do the gut shot thing if they want to stop loseing livestock and not get themselves in deep crap. F&W generally are not much help, in fact they are the cause of ranchers having to resort to the gut shot scenario or poison to stop the problem.
What hogwash.
So you can gut-shoot an animal and predict where it will die? And it won't be on your property?
And your "ranch" is patrolled by F&W and the public who will report or scrutinize your actions? Must be quite a place.....
Old 06-02-2024, 02:16 PM

Quote:
What hogwash.
So you can gut-shoot an animal and predict where it will die? And it won't be on your property?
And your "ranch" is patrolled by F&W and the public who will report or scrutinize your actions? Must be quite a place.....
No not likely, usually they go somewhere to hide and die. It may be on the property or miles away but it won't likely die in the sheep, cow, horse pasture. I'm not advocating that is what someone should do, but it is what is done quite commonly with problem Grizzlies. If it were a black bear harassing and killing livestock on private land you can shoot them on sight, why should it be different for grizzlies? Not like they are endangered.

About 15 years ago there was a grizzly in a pasture next to the house on private land chasing horses south of town. Landowner shot it dead right there. It cost him a five figure fine + more for lawyers. That is why a lot of ranchers and livestock owners take the law into their own hands and do the SSS thing, or the gutshot thing. It happens more often than people realize.

Last edited by Bushrat; 06-02-2024 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-03-2024, 07:00 PM

I know guys that anytime you mention a grizzly they say you should gut shoot it.

I think that attitude is moronic.

If you are going to shoot anything, shoot to kill.

Then do the sss thing I suppose.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 06-04-2024, 07:14 AM

Yeah a gut shot grizzly would be a dangerous menace worse than it was before. Especially to others who might stumble upon it.
Old 06-04-2024, 07:46 AM

The point is, that this apex predator should be hunted. I wonder if DS and PP can get us a season?

-Billy Molls
Old 06-04-2024, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
The point is, that this apex predator should be hunted. I wonder if DS and PP can get us a season?
Lol
Old 06-04-2024, 10:27 AM

If that bear becomes a nuisance in the Peace Country, someone (F and W or a rancher) will kill it and the event won't make the news up there.

I know a fellow who shot what he thought was a black bear that was chasing his dog around the yard in the middle of the night. He went out in the morning and discovered that it was a g-bear. Did the right thing by calling it into F and W and received a $10k fine for his honesty.

On another note, wasn't the Peace Country excluded from the g-bear count that closed the season?

Gerry Burnie
Old 06-04-2024, 04:16 PM

And that right there is why farmers and ranchers shouldn’t report it and deal with the issue themselves.
Old 06-08-2024, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post

On another note, wasn't the Peace Country excluded from the g-bear count that closed the season?
As well as most of the province.
See post #3.
Old 06-08-2024, 03:30 PM

Quote:
It has nothing to do with hunting or being an outdoorsman. It has everything to do with protecting my livestock because our government is unwilling to managing the grizzly population.
Fixed it for you
Old 06-18-2024, 04:19 PM

Quote:
So you condone purposely gut-shooting an animal to let it suffer to death? Ya, for sure that's something to be proud of. Great example to put out there for kids, and especially for anti-hunters and tree-huggers. Alberta outdoorsman-of-the-year material right there!!!
LOL, there's no kids reading this forum. I'd be surprised if anyone on here is under 40!
Old 06-18-2024, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Not the first time either that this scenario has played out either.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 06-18-2024, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
While some of you guys are bleating about wounded bears you intentionally avoided crying over the wounded, dying, ravaged sheep. Hypocrisy from the city slicker crowd.
Has nothing to do with bleating about wounded bears.
It has to do with human safety from these wounded animals. They’re even more likely to prey on livestock because they can’t catch game animals. No sir, intentionally wounding is stupid-plain and simple.
Anyone should be able to make that correlation.