Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2014, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
So CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC are funded by the Koch brothers?

To use your logic, if news is beholden to those that fund it the CBC must be only giving us gov't approved information.
I used the Koches as an example but I am certain that they have a pretty from grip on a large portion of the corporate media.

If I get some hard numbers I'll try to post em but its a bit tricky at work.

You are incorrect in that last conclusion though.

The Government is mandated to remain arms length from the CBC.

It drives them nuts...especially Harper who has proven time and again that to him arms length means firmly under his thumb.

Anything that he cannot control...he seeks to destroy... The CBC... scientists....

To be honest I do not understand why people are complaining about the CBC when there are far worse things that we are more or less forced to fund.

The state controlled Russian media Channel..."Out TV" and others.
Yes...you can opt out of some of those but when they bundle your cable packages....
Old 04-19-2014, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Yup, it should all be dropped. CBC is a good start.

I don't want my money going to the CBC, art galleries, Quebecor, Bombardier, GM, or any of them. It's all just a shell game with the gov't taking it's cut to live a lavish lifestyle on my dime, and it all starts when someone says something like: "I want gov't to do X for me."

And frankly, most of the network news is anything but real journalism anyway. They just parrot what they're told to say by gov't, special interest groups etc. They're all just big advertisements for whoever is willing to step in front of their microphone, as long as what they're saying lines up with the network. Most of the real journalism going on now is being done online.
Fair enough...a clean and total sweep I could agree with.

My only real concern is that we do not make a move that tips the scales.

Like them or not it is important to give voice to opposing views as they provide us opportunity to make better informed decisions.

A world whose only news source was Fox would certainly be no better than one spoon fed by only MSN....and probably no worse either.

We need to hear lots of voices...not just the one that could afford the air time.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:22 PM

I remember watching CBC in the 60's...garbage then, garbage now.

What galls me most about the CBC is that it's responsible for the creation of the Media/Peter Mansbridge/David Suzuki Party. When a bunch of taxpayer funded self engraciating non elected hammerheads feel its their patriotic duty to turn us into their personal lapdogs and sourse of income, then I think it's gone too far. Not to mention how they are determined to destroy our economy in the process

CBC dictates to the masses what we should believe and how we are too stupid to spend our money, they of course can do it better...
Old 04-19-2014, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
I used the Koches as an example but I am certain that they have a pretty from grip on a large portion of the corporate media.

If I get some hard numbers I'll try to post em but its a bit tricky at work.

You are incorrect in that last conclusion though.

The Government is mandated to remain arms length from the CBC.

It drives them nuts...especially Harper who has proven time and again that to him arms length means firmly under his thumb.

Anything that he cannot control...he seeks to destroy... The CBC... scientists....

To be honest I do not understand why people are complaining about the CBC when there are far worse things that we are more or less forced to fund.

The state controlled Russian media Channel..."Out TV" and others.
Yes...you can opt out of some of those but when they bundle your cable packages....
While your looking up the Koch brothers check out George Soros.

Arms length, we all know how virtuous politicians are.

CBC is the only one you are forced to fund, you cannot have TV without it at any price. Other channels the choice is up to you. If you think paying for channel X is worth having to include channel Y in your bundle it's up to you only.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:27 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:

CBC is the only one you are forced to fund, you cannot have TV without it at any price. Other channels the choice is up to you. If you think paying for channel X is worth having to include channel Y in your bundle it's up to you only.
Its not forced to fund its a duty of being a canadian.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Fair enough...a clean and total sweep I could agree with.

My only real concern is that we do not make a move that tips the scales.

Like them or not it is important to give voice to opposing views as they provide us opportunity to make better informed decisions.

A world whose only news source was Fox would certainly be no better than one spoon fed by only MSN....and probably no worse either.

We need to hear lots of voices...not just the one that could afford the air time.
Would you be OK with dollar for dollar funding of CBC and SUN NEWS to ensure both views.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:36 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Would you be OK with dollar for dollar funding of CBC and SUN NEWS to ensure both views.
Waot a minute you dont wanna pay for one state channel now ya want two. Lololo.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Books are full of info on every subject know to man you should try them .lol. having a much varied and expirenced life gives one insight on varied subjects .maybe you just jealous Please give us your mastery to suggest im wrong . Bahaha . Armor dont march mate we ride around in AC Temp controlled lux. Then when you get to hang out with the jutland ramsies you pick up a thing or two . Lol when was 45 considerd young . Perhaps your just upset youve got a big bank account and a small life .
Does your post relate to the op in any way or is it just aimed at attacking my post ?? Just to clarify.
So sorry...I guess my masters in economics and my professional accounting designation don't count for much against a zipper heads knowledge about how to not get more brain damage when tooling around listening to CBC on the tank speakers and reading the liberal red book.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
A very valid question here....

Did the CBC ever open up there books or are they still refusing to do so ?
Old 04-19-2014, 09:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Its not forced to fund its a duty of being a canadian.
Spoken like a true liberal progressive.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:44 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
So sorry...I guess my masters in economics and my professional accounting designation don't count for much against a zipper heads knowledge about how to not get more brain damage when tooling around listening to CBC on the tank speakers and reading the liberal red book.
So again with nothing abt the thread. Didnt get out of the classroom much did ya mate. Bean counter syndrome. No worries scruge.
Sorry mate for all your" smarts" you don't pay much attention do ya try the bbc you know the worlds other most respected news scource . But hay you cant see that from the cubicle full of beans. Lolololol
I kmow a good bean counter story ... said no one ever.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Waot a minute you dont wanna pay for one state channel now ya want two. Lololo.
My position is quite clear, Gov't should not fund any channels.

Care to answer my question?
Old 04-19-2014, 09:47 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Spoken like a true liberal progressive.
As of when cause rightards have been making us pay the same as every other party lololol social capitalist is the correct term hopeing for the greater good thru my tax dollars . Served canada well for many yearz. look south young man then step.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
So again with nothing abt the thread. Didnt get out of the classroom much did ya mate. Bean counter syndrome. No worries scruge.
Sorry mate for all your" smarts" you don't pay much attention do ya try the bbc you know the worlds other most respected news scource . But hay you cant see that from the cubicle full of beans. Lolololol
I kmow a good bean counter story ... said no one ever.
Tell you what...l have a $1,000 that says, I'll out shoot you, out hunt you, out fish you, out smart you, beat you in hand to hand, and in general take Any challenge you care, other than riding around with metal plates around you with or winning "most out there" costume at gay pride parade or liberal functions.

So I'm not calling you a troll, but I gotta wonder about someone who posts so much and is so against free gun ownership and esposes such liberal concepts which are in direct opposition to that concept.

Last edited by BlackHeart; 04-19-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:

Sure...thats choice but its not free choice.

The point is that everywhere you turn powerful people are m aking darn sure that somehow.... you end up getting fed their message.

Take the internet and online news services such as Google.

The programs collect data on your searches and then they monitor what news you seek out and what news you read.

Over time they begin to feed you the news that they percieve to be of interest to you.

Its all rolled out as a service but what it really does is pigeon hole you.

So... if Google determines that your main interest is immigration.... you start seeing more and more immigration stories and if you seem to prefer the bad news ones... that is what you get.

The problem with this is that without your knowledge your view of the world is being tailored. Eventually you begin to see and believe that all immigrants are bad....because you un-wittingly told that was all you wanted to hear.

Similarly.... if you hate guns.... eventually you are fed every bad gun story out there.

News should not be treated like brands where a disproportionate portion of the news that we are provided is cherry picked to suit individual taste.

It is important for us to have a view of what others are thinking and not just what one side claims the other side is up to.

We see this at play here regularly.

Too often we read articles about Liberals that come from a source that hates liberalism.
Go to a Liberal forum and you will see articles about conservatives written by people that hate conservatism.

Rarely do you see a Liberal post an article from a neutral source or from a Conservative source so that the other side can be heard without bias.
And...the same can be said when Conservatives post.

The problem becomes that both sides are lying about one another and... their readers are believing those lies.

Neutral publicly funded media can go a long way towards correcting that.

If we all sat back and read real news and took into account both sides of the arguments that some people love to divide us with....forgetting all the rhetoric and the lies of the past we'd soon come to realize that ordinary people...you...me... those that lean left or right or towards the environment or jobs...or anarchism or separatism have more in common with one another than we do with our political heros or the governments they form to control and manipulate us.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
As of when cause rightards have been making us pay the same as every other party lololol social capitalist is the correct term hopeing for the greater good thru my tax dollars . Served canada well for many yearz. look south young man then step.
I was born here. You are the one who longs for the BBC, Sir Attenborough and UK gun control.

Planes leave every hour, I'll even pay for your one way ticket.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I was born here. You are the one who longs for the BBC, Sir Attenborough and UK gun control.

Add me in.... I'll even pay for a free re-consultation with Piers Morgan.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:17 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:

I dont suggest uk gun control is right or better. I will suggest the bbc is the most respected news service on earth and as such is world wide. Sir attenborough is like wise world respected and as a nature documentary figure has no equal since the passing of Dr Cousteau. Imo. Dont need you to pay any ticket. happily pay my own way to Bonnie Sco. When the urge of the highlands takes me. Thanks though id rather you donated to the CBC. LOL.
Simply pointing out the freemarket loose firearm law utopia exists down south. It would appear the majority's voice in Canada. Like our firearms laws and the CBC.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Tell you what...l have a $1,000 that says, I'll out shoot you, out hunt you, out fish you, out smart you, beat you in hand to hand, and in general take Any challenge you care, other than riding around with metal plates around you with or winning "most out there" costume at gay pride parade or liberal functions.

So I'm not calling you a troll, but I gotta wonder about someone who posts so much and is so against free gun ownership and esposes such liberal concepts which are in direct opposition to that concept.
Hmmm??? No easy money?

Old 04-19-2014, 10:43 PM
Banned

Quote:

The point is that everywhere you turn powerful people are m aking darn sure that somehow.... you end up getting fed their message.

The programs collect data on your searches and then they monitor what news you seek out and what news you read.

Over time they begin to feed you the news that they percieve to be of interest to you.

So... if Google determines that your main interest is immigration.... you start seeing more and more immigration stories and if you seem to prefer the bad news ones... that is what you get.

The problem with this is that without your knowledge your view of the world is being tailored. Eventually you begin to see and believe that all immigrants are bad....because you un-wittingly told that was all you wanted to hear.

Similarly.... if you hate guns.... eventually you are fed every bad gun story out there.

News should not be treated like brands where a disproportionate portion of the news that we are provided is cherry picked to suit individual taste.

It is important for us to have a view of what others are thinking and not just what one side claims the other side is up to.

Too often we read articles about Liberals that come from a source that hates liberalism.
Go to a Liberal forum and you will see articles about conservatives written by people that hate conservatism.

Rarely do you see a Liberal post an article from a neutral source or from a Conservative source so that the other side can be heard without bias.

The problem becomes that both sides are lying about one another and... their readers are believing those lies.

If we all sat back and read real news and took into account both sides of the arguments that some people love to divide us with....forgetting all the rhetoric and the lies of the past we'd soon come to realize that ordinary people...you...me... those that lean left or right or towards the environment or jobs...or anarchism or separatism have more in common with one another than we do with our political heros or the governments they form to control and manipulate us.
I understand what you are saying and agree with a lot of it.

What I do not agree with is that somehow public funding ensures neutrality in the news.

Any reputable news source should be able to survive without gov't funding.

What we are forgetting in this conversation is that CBC is not a news only channel. It is a news\entertainment channel like CTV and Global. They all compete for viewers but the CBC enjoys a huge advantage.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:46 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Hmmm??? No easy money?

Sure thing big guy three rounds mqb rules or a match fish on a water of my choosing lol. For a dollar . Money is no measurement to judge a man by and those that use it for such well you get the gist. For a g ill pick bar pool on a busy friday. bar of my choosing BDB can hold the money.

Last edited by fish gunner; 04-19-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:03 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:

Well put, well said, and one of the best posts I've seen here on the AOF this month! I especially like your last paragraph ... good food for thought!

One question though, where/how do we find; 'Neutral publicly funded media'?

Mac
Old 04-19-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Sure thing big guy three rounds mqb rules or a match fish on a water of my choosing lol. For a dollar . Money is no measurement to judge a man by and those that use it for such well you get the gist. For a g ill pick bar pool on a busy friday. bar of my choosing BDB can hold the money.
Mqb rules? I'm going to guess you mean http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marqu...ensberry_Rules.
Since you've picked the event, I pick no gloves, no head gear, no mouth guards, no rounds, no time limits.

Or if you would like, something you claim to be so great at and a test of your military training...how about MMA style.....incorporates the best of Mqb and let's your true military fighting skills show them selves.

BDB .....you choose your buddy and someone who I've had issues with as a cash holder/judge.. If I beat you senseless, BDB would call it a win for you.....so no!!!!...try Redfrog or Rugatika.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:28 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Mqb rules? I'm going to guess you mean http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marqu...ensberry_Rules.
Since you've picked the event, I pick no gloves, no head gear, no mouth guards, no rounds, no time limits.

Or if you would like, something you claim to be so great at and a test of your military training...how about MMA style.....incorporates the best of Mqb and let's your true military fighting skills show them selves.

BDB .....you choose your buddy and someone who I've had issues with as a cash holder/judge.. If I beat you senseless, BDB would call it a win for you.....so no!!!!...try Redfrog or Rugatika.
Hay your bet my rules . Member your words. Remember the fights for a dollar. Pool is for the g note.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Hay your bet my rules . Member your words. Remember the fights for a dollar. Pool is for the g note.
No I didnt say you get to set the rules.....you could easily say I have to be blindfolded and you not.....so.....sure. We fight and then right after play pool..

And if you can't make it to the pool game( and it not going to be on some military base), it's a forfeiture.

Take it to PM before we join BeeGuy.

Last edited by BlackHeart; 04-19-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:47 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
No I didnt say you get to set the rules.....you could easily say I have to be blindfolded and you not.....so.....sure. We fight and then right after play pool..

And if you can't make it to the pool game( and it not going to be on some military base), it's a forfeiture.
"Any challenge I care " your words so lets not start back steping this soon . Three rounds mqb . Your choice. For a dollar . Taped hands . I like mouth guards got nice teeth. three minute rounds as are the modern standard . Bdb holds the money. Lets not renage sir come up all fire and brimstone then get antsi on details.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:56 PM

I wouldn't do it BH, sounds like he's making all the rules lol...and he probably makes a few up as he goes along too
Old 04-20-2014, 12:03 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
I wouldn't do it BH, sounds like he's making all the rules lol...and he probably makes a few up as he goes along too
Im not making any back steps this early. his words are writing checks .
Old 04-20-2014, 12:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Sure... as long as we also got see tha names of all those corporate "persons" that are also involving themselves.

I just want fair balanced media and real news that is not being bent by outside interests.

I do not care who provides it or how it is paid for as long as it is reliable and not designed to influence people with hidden agendas.

To resist that now... I go to a half dozen TV sources and probably a dozen mixed online ones. Everything from CBC...to Sun..,to Al Jazera...the London Times... alternative news services... a couple of the right wing ones in nthe states.

I try to listen to everyones version of the tructh to get down to what the real truth is.
But it is difficult with so much disinformation out there.

Just tonight I was looking at really catchy quote that is widely attricuted to Kennedy..... it refers to the creation of a corporate controlled America.

Its a false quote... he never said those words.

That sort of thing happens a lot.

Sound bites that are really catchy and just what you need to support an argument but.... thats why someone manufactured those "facts".

I really resent when anyone tries to steer me.... preferring my own path and at my own pace and time.

I'd like to add that I could do without CBC on TV.
I much prefer CBC radio especially for its entertainment value... Stewart McLean...
CBC TV ...needs to trim it down a bit... 3 hours of news on one channel only and then the rest dedicated towards entertainment... Canadiana etc.
Save that money for things that are actually culturally uplifting.
Every all news channel ends up becoming bias and there is a tendency to start to manufacture news...there are plenty of examples of that.

We do not need this stuff forced down our throats 24 hours per day....from anyone.

By the way... its nice that we can agree on something....sort of.

Last edited by Big Daddy Badger; 04-20-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
"Any challenge I care " your words so lets not start back steping this soon . Three rounds mqb . Your choice. For a dollar . Taped hands . I like mouth guards got nice teeth. three minute rounds as are the modern standard . Bdb holds the money. Lets not renage sir come up all fire and brimstone then get antsi on details.
Any challenge. ..... But not a rigged one...BDB????? He can hold my chamber pot.

Taped hands, Mqb rules, 3 rounds (not sure why, but I'll work within it).....sure.... For a dollar.....ok.....your right it not about the money........but how are you going to tell the guys in your unit that you got it handed to you by a "bean counter"? And since you stipulated the rules, I'll arrange the ref. (He thinks whining about a little cut or blood to be for *****s)

JFI: I'm cruiser weight....when I lay off the beer...but it makes me....never mind.