Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2012, 09:33 PM

Carry a cut off hockey stick with a good handle to hang on to.

When **** like that happens, you have a means to defend yourself and your dog. I think that people should need to fill out an application to own a dog. Too many idiots out there that think they can do no wrong.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:00 PM

Yes this is super safe, just what we need some person walking their dog who is afraid or anticipating trouble and beats the crap out of another dog at the first sound of a scuffle....

When you have a weapon it is very easy to escalate a situation to a very serious level when it wasn't called for.

As I have said in other threads, I have been involved in dog events and sports for years and years and have seen only a handful of scuffles draw blood or require veterinary care.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emo View Post

As I have said in other threads, I have been involved in dog events and sports for years and years and have seen only a handful of scuffles draw blood or require veterinary care.
Guess I'm special, since the first incident drew significant blood. A third wont happen with these particular dogs.

I give all others the benefit of the doubt.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:06 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker View Post
Please explain how bear spray would "permanantly"injure a dog?? Geez!!
Bear spray comes out at much higher velocity and in a much more concentrated stream....plus the percentage of capsaicin is double....Geeze!!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Guess I'm special, since the first incident drew significant blood. A third wont happen with these particular dogs.

I give all others the benefit of the doubt.
If you run into them again you would be best off calling animal control and telling them you are trying to protect your dog from attack and fear for YOUR safety. They would hopefully respond more quickly.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
When you have a weapon it is very easy to escalate a situation to a very serious level when it wasn't called for.
Where have I heard this before?

Mr Rock, Mr Holland? Wendy??? Is that you?
Old 09-28-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
If you run into them again you would be best off calling animal control and telling them you are trying to protect your dog from attack and fear for YOUR safety. They would hopefully respond more quickly.
Wrong! I will be dealing with it myself to stop things. Then will call authorities. I'm not going to wait around for half an hour for the bylaw guys to show up. Not going to take the 'nanny state' approach at sacrifice to my dogs safety.

I'm not looking for a fight. But if I see these folks a third time I will try to immediately avoid, but if they attack I will have to deal with it.

Remember, these dogs are off leash in on leash areas.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:27 PM

Hey Emo, what part of the fact these other dog owners already got warned twice don't you understand? We're supposed to carry a cop in one pocket, a bylaw officer in another and an animal control officer on a shoulder bag? We can't all cower under the bed while other people handle things. We're allowed by law to defend ourselves, to some it's a foreign concept, but still entirely legal, and it's much swifter than the legal industry is these days.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Wrong! I will be dealing with it myself to stop things. Then will call authorities. I'm not going to wait around for half an hour for the bylaw guys to show up. Not going to take the 'nanny state' approach at sacrifice to my dogs safety.

I'm not looking for a fight. But if I see these folks a third time I will try to immediately avoid, but if they attack I will have to deal with it.

Remember, these dogs are off leash in on leash areas.
I dont blame you.

Just be very careful. I agree you are in the right. Dont get in trouble for a confrontation with the owner. Police today press unfair charges all the time and even more sad is that judges uphold them.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post

Dont get in trouble for a confrontation with the owner. Police today press unfair charges all the time and even more sad is that judges uphold them.
Very good advice. I will be adjusting some of my dog walking activities to hopefully avoid them altogether, but I'm not going to leave because of their ignorance.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Yes this is super safe, just what we need some person walking their dog who is afraid or anticipating trouble and beats the crap out of another dog at the first sound of a scuffle....

I see where you are getting at; but it seems this isn't a isolated incident as this was a second incident and how many others with this couple that haven't been reported? It is unfortunate that the dog owners have been so ignorant with the situation and their dogs may have to pay for that ignorance.

Right now there has been no deterrent for these owners to control their dogs, so what is it going to take for them to correct this problem? What happens if the next dog that is attacked is smaller, older, a young puppy or has a child in between? The original poster could be "bullied" from making use of the park and find somewhere else to go, but that won't eliminate the problem.

I have two older labs and take them for after supper walks with my three and a half old daughter, you better believe I will take most means necessary to protect them when animals attack.

Last edited by kritofr; 09-28-2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 09-28-2012, 10:46 PM

Go look around Dairy Queen, he should be whoring himself for cheeseburgers near the drive thru.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Hey Emo, what part of the fact these other dog owners already got warned twice don't you understand? We're supposed to carry a cop in one pocket, a bylaw officer in another and an animal control officer on a shoulder bag? We can't all cower under the bed while other people handle things. We're allowed by law to defend ourselves, to some it's a foreign concept, but still entirely legal, and it's much swifter than the legal industry is these days.
Funny, seems defending yourself in this country "by law" often creates a lengthy, and very un-swift legal process after the fact.

The fact that some dog owner walking in the park "warned" these people twice means what? Nothing? Thats right, because no complaint is documented on any file anywhere about these dogs, and as the OP already said, its his word against theirs.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:48 PM

Hey diver, Go to UFA buy a cattle prod and make it look like a walking stick
P.S USE it on the owners.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Funny, seems defending yourself in this country "by law" often creates a lengthy, and very un-swift legal process after the fact.

The fact that some dog owner walking in the park "warned" these people twice means what? Nothing? Thats right, because no complaint is documented on any file anywhere about these dogs, and as the OP already said, its his word against theirs.
Question? How am I to make a report with no identification of these people? Once I get a plate or other form of Id, the bylaw folks will be called. They weren't about to give me their name and address and social security number today. The photos are the best I have so far.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:17 PM

I'm aware of the imbalances in the legal industry, I just figure that enough citizens exercising and asserting their rights help those rights from going to atrophy. It beats hiding under the couch.

Quote:

Old 09-28-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Hey diver, Go to UFA buy a cattle prod and make it look like a walking stick
P.S USE it on the owners.
Had my first experience with one of those at age 13. Right in the store!

Good times. Except I was on the recieving end.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Banned

get a shovel AD. anyone asks, its for scooping up after your dog. according to rumors, a badger is much tougher than a dog and they are no match for the shovel.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
get a shovel AD. anyone asks, its for scooping up after your dog. according to rumors, a badger is much tougher than a dog and they are no match for the shovel.
There are lots of porcupines in the park......
Old 09-29-2012, 12:46 AM

You're a better man than I 'Diver......

Glad Duke is ok.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:03 AM
Gone Hunting

I feel for you. No one needs that kind of grief.

I wish I had some advice to give, but I really don't, having never been in that exact situation.

My only experience with anything like that, is not repeatable I think. And that involved just me, two irresponsible people and two aggressive dogs, in a dark parking lot in White Court.

It happened so fast I didn't think, I just reacted. The dogs came out of the dark in full attack mode. All I remember is a ice cold determination to kill those dogs and although I doubt I could even hurt a dog if facing that situation again, that night I believe I could have and would have, had they pressed the attack. The didn't. I think they sensed that I wasn't afraid and I was ready, willing, and able to defend myself.

I told the owners of those dogs they had better get them under control. I explained that I am a trapper and skilled at killing animals similar to dogs and I told them I could kill their dogs with my bare hands, which I'm not sure I could have done, but I have no doubt those dogs would not want any part of me when I was finished with them.

Maybe that could help you, in a round about way. If you were to pack bear spray, you would know you could make those dogs a world of hurt, they might sense that in you and retreat as those dogs in that dark parking lot did, from me.

If nothing else, just aiming a can of bear spray would make it very clear that you could deal with their dogs and perhaps the owners would be intelligent enough to call off their dogs and not walk them off leash again.

Yeah I know, it's doubtful, but worth a try, I think.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:25 AM

Default off leash

Incidents like this are the exact reason that my dogs dont get taken to the off leash area, they are dog aggressive and I know it ( Im sure that this couple knows the same about their dogs). Unfortunately,Common sense is the least common of the senses.There is no reason to take big, powerful, intimidating dogs( or any other dog, for that matter) to such places if you are not 100% capable of controlling them at all times. I do however have a strong urge to take mine for a walk around Nosehill park tommorow.lol.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:56 AM
Gone Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Bear spray comes out at much higher velocity and in a much more concentrated stream....plus the percentage of capsaicin is double....Geeze!!
Good grief SH, the velocity of the spray will do no harm as it releases as a thick cloud and the concentration of capsaicin only increases the effect you are trying to inflict. Once sprayed, the mucous membranes will naturally react and flush away the capsaicin over time.
If it were me protecting my self or my pet, I would honestly not give a rats ass what it does to the offending dog.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:04 AM

I would make a formal report even if you don't have a plate # You do have a discription of the owners and dogs. How many people walk two dogs of that breed and color in the same park. If it does happen again at least there is one reported incident, then two then three and so on. You are at least backed up a little with a complaint even if nothing is done. Sooner or latter they will get theirs.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Personally, rather than packing a big canister of bear spray and make it look like you were expecting/looking for trouble, I'd just pack a small canister of dog repellent.
Went to pick up a small can of bear spray so my wife would feel more comfortable walking the dog because of coyotes and the odd aggressive dog here in the citys' off leash areas and the girl at the counter mentioned that there might be legal issues about carrying bear spray and recommended a canister of dog spray. Much smaller and easier to use than the bear spray canister, also much easier to put in the pocket than a coke sized can of bear spray. Available at Wholesale Sports.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:26 AM
AvayaAce

Stupid Animals = Stupid People......Bear Spray the owners!!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:28 AM

Don't got to an off leash! These things can always happen with dogs.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:48 AM

Do you have a go pro camera, perhaps a good investment if a repeat happens.
Plus as a few good shots of you dog as well, if their dogs or they cause a problem a video will provide proof, and the fact that you have one will likely be a check and balance to prevent you acting unresablie.
A heavy cane or a nice heavy walking stick is another option.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:58 AM

Hmm surprised ww hasnt commented yet about how its your fault for not having control over your dog. Been in the same situation down here in leth, p!sses me off when *****hats like that bring there dogs to places like off leash parks
Old 09-29-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
It wont do any permanent damage.

And is that bacon on Duke's nose? THAT dog has patience! I'dve bit your hand trying to get it first then bit ya after I ate it for playing games with my bacon fool!

Tags
calgary, dog walker, john laurie blvd, nose hill park