Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-30-2012, 12:53 PM

Sheep, did being there invoke an urge for brandy and cola or some jaegermeister? Maybe some Windhoek Lager?

Bobby B.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:28 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
Sheep, did being there invoke an urge for brandy and cola or some jaegermeister? Maybe some Windhoek Lager?

Bobby B.
All of the above...lol

You can't just go once.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
All of the above...lol

You can't just go once.
I hear you loud and clear. Went the first time with a buddy and the sole purpose to hunt PG. Hunted about 2 weeks and really enjoyed everything about the entire experience. Went the second time with my wife. Did a 4 week self-drive tour of Namibia and northern Botswana then a 1 week hunt. Might go back once again sometime but the next trip will be a 5 week self-drive tour of the north half of Argentina.

Don't know yet what they drink in Argentina but I expect I'll like at least some of it. I understand they eat alot of beef there so I'll fit right in.

Bobby B.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:14 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
I hear you loud and clear. Went the first time with a buddy and the sole purpose to hunt PG. Hunted about 2 weeks and really enjoyed everything about the entire experience. Went the second time with my wife. Did a 4 week self-drive tour of Namibia and northern Botswana then a 1 week hunt. Might go back once again sometime but the next trip will be a 5 week self-drive tour of the north half of Argentina.

Don't know yet what they drink in Argentina but I expect I'll like at least some of it. I understand they eat alot of beef there so I'll fit right in.

Bobby B.
Think we might do Argentina this spring for big game and doves. Think I could drink their wonderful Malbec for a couple weeks!
Old 01-30-2012, 06:05 PM

From what I understand about dove shooting, each shooter will go through a couple thousand rds each and every day. Obviously, recoil will be an issue that must be addressed. To offset the affects of recoil on the noggin, some consume aspirin/advil/whatever almost by the handful. Apparently, shotguns can be fitted with a device that reduces felt recoil to zero. I believe this was presented in one of the SCI magazines. Would prove well worth the cost. Of course, enjoying large amounts of Malbec could produce results similar to that of extended doses of unchecked recoil. Perhaps a prudent strategy would be to temper one's exposure to recoil with alternating a day of shooting with a day of sipping. I know this might be considered as wussy, but some of us aren't as young, tough and resilient as were once were. I know I'm not. Wish I was, though. In the end, when in Rome, do as do the Romans do.

Bobby B.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:33 PM

Jannie and Errol from the Gras came and stayed with us for 3 days or so before the Calgary show. They are wonderful people as honest as they come. We hunted with them in '09
Old 01-30-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
$15-20K for buff/leopard at the low end.
I got a deal on a buff hunt and am heading over in July. Buffalo/plains game hunt in Zimbabwe. 10 days/ $7000us with trophy fee for the buffalo included. Basically paying plains game day rate for dangerous game. Now is the time for Canadians to hunt Africa......unbelievable prices and deals and our dollar is strong.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baydog23 View Post
I got a deal on a buff hunt and am heading over in July. Buffalo/plains game hunt in Zimbabwe. 10 days/ $7000us with trophy fee for the buffalo included. Basically paying plains game day rate for dangerous game. Now is the time for Canadians to hunt Africa......unbelievable prices and deals and our dollar is strong.
That sounds like an awesome deal. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:02 PM

Default African show

$7,000 U.S. for ten days including a trophy fee for buffalo in Zimbabwe is beyond amazing !!! A hunt that I did in 1989 in the Chete concession was $425 a day plus about $1,050 for the buffalo and about the same for a tuskless ... I wasn't offered any screaming deals at the show ... When I would ask what the rate would be for my lady (hint hint) they would politely point out the $250 a day tariff .. Trying to go to Mozambique ...