Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-16-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I bought this same gun only with a wooden stock for my fiancee because she could not handle the recoil of a 12 gauge and she absolutly loves it. She says it dont hurt her at all and its nice and light for her also.
In all honesty, some of the new 12 gauge semi autos produce less felt recoil than the average 20 gauge. Myself and a friend recently purchased a couple of Beretta A-400 shotguns with the Kick Off system, and after firing around 75 rounds out of each gun, they produce less felt recoil than any of our 20 gauge shotguns. Shooting 3 dram target loads, my A-400 felt about equal to my 28 gauge O/U shotguns, shooting target loads. The regular prices on these guns are normally fairly high, but if light recoil is important to you, these guns allow you to shoot a 12 gauge, without the recoil normally associated with the average 12 gauge shotgun.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:58 PM

My biggest problem when I went to the 20 gauge was the fact that most 12 gauge semis were too heavy for me to lift and shoot!!
The shorter 20 was lighter and the recoil manageable, but many of the new ones are very lightweight as well - the price for them isn't, however!
Cat
Old 03-16-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
In all honesty, some of the new 12 gauge semi autos produce less felt recoil than the average 20 gauge. Myself and a friend recently purchased a couple of Beretta A-400 shotguns with the Kick Off system, and after firing around 75 rounds out of each gun, they produce less felt recoil than any of our 20 gauge shotguns. Shooting 3 dram target loads, my A-400 felt about equal to my 28 gauge O/U shotguns, shooting target loads. The regular prices on these guns are normally fairly high, but if light recoil is important to you, these guns allow you to shoot a 12 gauge, without the recoil normally associated with the average 12 gauge shotgun.
That is a very good point. My Beretta has a very light recoil also and mine dont have the kick off system either. I am buying a Maxus or Versa Max soon so I will let her try that out and see what she thinks. She loves the 20 gauge though cause its so small and light for her
Old 03-16-2013, 01:12 PM

I'm appreciating the differences of opinions, though I think I have my mind set on the 870 and the big selling factor was the fact that I heard back from my cousin, and have in fact handled the exact model and thoroughly enjoyed it the 2x I did so.

When I used the 870 both times we were doing disks and I hit 39 out of 50 of them the first time, which I wouldn't consider bad for my first time doing it. The second time I did a little better - hit 46 out of 50.

I appreciate everyone's input and it's always good to get a difference of opinions to keep it interesting!