Wild TV 5 5.43%
Extinct Long Gun Registry 25 27.17%
SKS's and cheap ammo 13 14.13%
Other 49 53.26%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'm not sure there as been a drastic increase. I wouldn't trust anecdotal evidence from a few that it's hard to find a range. Anyone got PAL application statistics? That would be a much more reliable indicator.
This I think is more probable.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:10 PM

The Long Gun registry's demise is surely a phenomenal occurance and has brought many into the fold. Out of the options other than "other", that's my choice. Yet ultimately I do not believe it to be more shooters causing a lack of memberships and places to shoot. It is the RCMP/CFO's hassling Ranges to no end that I believe to be the biggest factor here. That and perhaps the higher price/lower availability of land and facilities is a large factor, likewise. I do not believe these difficulties some experience in finding Range Memberships to be due to more people shooting, per se.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Do you have stats that say that there is an actual increase in the shooting sports?
Post #7.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Other:
Growing provincial population.(1million more people in the last 10 yrs~25%increase)
Surging economy giving way to more surplus income.
Yep, more people can afford to shoot.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Maybe the increase in activity at certain clubs is because the are fewer clubs than there was in years past?
Nope
Old 05-07-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Mythbusters and an aging population.
Please expand on this.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Banned

The more the better!!!

Keep em coming!

Jamie
Old 05-07-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Yep, more people can afford to shoot.
I am looking at 2009 to 2013. Wages have not changed that much. Cost of living and wages are on a linear relation.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Other:
Growing provincial population.(1million more people in the last 10 yrs~25%increase)
Surging economy giving way to more surplus income.
Read post #7 and you can see that actual population change numbers.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:21 PM

During the past couple of months, SPFGA has probably conducted in excess of 600 orientations of "new" members (and there are probably another 400 in cue). . . I have personally welcomed more than half of the total, and agree with Bergerboy that the majority of "newbies" are of the "middle class" vintage. Surprisingly, there seem to be few in their early/mid twenties. Lots of families, and lots that look like they might be retiring.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Post #7.
Bergerboy,
those stats just show that one club has significantly increased membership.

I am a member of a club that has shown significant growth. Mostly because other clubs have slowed down or shut down or have become too costly. We have also grown because our rates especially for young shooters are attractive.
We have made our rates attractive because we think there is a decline in the shooting sports and we are attempting to invest in the future.

Another reason there may be a bulge in some range membership is less opportunity to shoot in rural areas due to population growth in areas where shooting was once permitted.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Nope
Then you must be very young or have a poor memory. There was a time when many small towns had some type of shooting range. There was a time when nearly every town between Calgary and the border on the #2 hwy had a clay range. Many ranges have closed down or are going to close down and I know of only a few new ones. With everyone scrambling for a place to shoot it would only seem that there is more interest. That is why I asked you of you had actual stats to prove there are more shooters?

I know that the number of pals is not a cause, but I would be interested to know if there is a significant growing number of pal applications?
Old 05-08-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
I know that the number of pals is not a cause, but I would be interested to know if there is a significant growing number of pal applications?
PAL courses are held at our clubhouse, and the number of courses has had to be increased significantly, to meet the demand.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Read post #7 and you can see that actual population change numbers.
3.1 million folks in 2004 to 4.1 million in 2014.
That's 1 million over 4 million or 1/4, or 25%.

Check the numbers yourself: http://www.finance.alberta.ca/abouta...arterlies.html

There are no absolutes
Old 05-08-2014, 07:13 AM

In my area (CNP) there are 3 gun clubs and all of them have shown significant growth. The number of women joining that are new to shooting sports has also increased substantially. The increases stated in earlier posts are true here too but I also think that hunting is being accepted by the mainstream more because of the healthy food factor. The public is becoming much more aware of
the amount of chemicals we swallow when we eat domestic meat. Most people want to kill cleanly and therefore practice and meet other good people who might introduce others to more shooting disciplines. A good thing to remember when out at the range and the impression you are leaving with he/she at the station beside you.

*edit- down here we have actually had a decreasing population for the past 25 years.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
3.1 million folks in 2004 to 4.1 million in 2014.
That's 1 million over 4 million or 1/4, or 25%.

Check the numbers yourself: http://www.finance.alberta.ca/abouta...arterlies.html
Its actually between 31 and 32 % growth.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Hey that's correct!

There are no absolutes
Old 05-08-2014, 09:18 AM

Number of firearm licenses on December 31st
Year - Canada - Alberta
2013 - 1,960,380 - 248,907
2009 - 1,843,913 - 214,677

In 2012 Alberta passed BC with the number of licenses.

Numbers from the RCMP firearms site. They didn't list numbers from before 2009, but do show that numbers are increasing in Alberta but also in Canada.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f.../index-eng.htm

Last edited by slam; 05-08-2014 at 09:20 AM. Reason: update source link
Old 05-08-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
SPFGA range went from 750 shooters in 2009 to 4000 in 2013. That is a 433% increase in activity. The population of Alberta in 2009 was 3,584,678 people and in 2013 it is 3,828,484 people a 1.06% increase. If the number of shooters was directly related to the provinces population then Alberta should have 19,118,242 people in 2013 or SPFGA should only have 801 members.

Judging by these numbers the increase in shooters has nothing to do with a population increase. Any other thoughts?

Here are links to where I obtained the population data from.

http://municipalaffairs.gov.ab.ca/do...GS/2009pop.pdf

http://municipalaffairs.gov.ab.ca/do...ation_List.pdf
I think no significant part of the increase at SPFGA is related to population growth .... but, there may be some relationship between economic prosperity (disposable income) between 2009 - 2013. Given that no other ranges in the drawing area have closed during that period (nor do I believe that either of the other large clubs have discontinued "day pass" policies) ... I believe the dramatic growth is related to substantial facility upgrades and the promotion of the club as a recrerational destination that includes more than just shooting. Also, the club has successfully promoted itself as a "family" oriented facility ... does not close due to rentals to special interest groups ...
Old 05-08-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Then you must be very young or have a poor memory. There was a time when many small towns had some type of shooting range. There was a time when nearly every town between Calgary and the border on the #2 hwy had a clay range. Many ranges have closed down or are going to close down and I know of only a few new ones. With everyone scrambling for a place to shoot it would only seem that there is more interest. That is why I asked you of you had actual stats to prove there are more shooters?

I believe you are correct for a few years ago but I am only focusing on the dates that range between 2009 and 2013. During that time span the ranges have not dropped off.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I think no significant part of the increase at SPFGA is related to population growth .... but, there may be some relationship between economic prosperity (disposable income) between 2009 - 2013. Given that no other ranges in the drawing area have closed during that period (nor do I believe that either of the other large clubs have discontinued "day pass" policies) ... I believe the dramatic growth is related to substantial facility upgrades and the promotion of the club as a recrerational destination that includes more than just shooting. Also, the club has successfully promoted itself as a "family" oriented facility ... does not close due to rentals to special interest groups ...
This makes sense. Well said.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slam View Post
Number of firearm licenses on December 31st
Year - Canada - Alberta
2013 - 1,960,380 - 248,907
2009 - 1,843,913 - 214,677

In 2012 Alberta passed BC with the number of licenses.

Numbers from the RCMP firearms site. They didn't list numbers from before 2009, but do show that numbers are increasing in Alberta but also in Canada.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f.../index-eng.htm
Good information, now what is driving the increase? Its baffling me.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I was just looking at the 2009-2013 stats. The 2004 to 2008 was an epic oil boom year with high natural gas prices. That was right before the crash. The price of natural resources can be directly related to the population increase. SPFGA memberships was a flat line with almost no change during the boom years.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Hey that's correct!
Lets use the 2004-2014 data with the 32% growth trend. That would put the SPFGA at a membership level of 990 members in 2014. Its now at 4000. This would indicate that the population growth has almost nothing to do with the increase.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Please expand on this.
Mythbusters and other shows on regular networks are showing the fun side of guns. The older people have more time to spend on themselves once the kids are off and running, shooting is popular for them. I was at the AGM for my range last year and at 54 I felt like a spring chicken when I looked at the other members.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Mythbusters and other shows on regular networks are showing the fun side of guns. The older people have more time to spend on themselves once the kids are off and running, shooting is popular for them. I was at the AGM for my range last year and at 54 I felt like a spring chicken when I looked at the other members.
I can get on board with this. Popular culture is the catalyst. Video games for the youth to make them interested especially in tacticool guns and pistols, older people are driven by interest programming (myth busters, Sons of Guns etc). Fair point Mr User.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Lets use the 2004-2014 data with the 32% growth trend. That would put the SPFGA at a membership level of 990 members in 2014. Its now at 4000. This would indicate that the population growth has almost nothing to do with the increase.
Your sample size is far to small!
Boarden your horizons, and broaden your sample size.
Certain anomalies will exist within a small subsection of any analysis, that is why Churchill said dogs use polls too.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-08-2014, 06:38 PM

Don't know about anyone else, but the LGR closing was what did it for me. I grew up with guns, always had guns, hunted, until the LGR came around. Then lost interest, quit buying guns, quit hunting. Said I'd never register my guns, so I locked them all up in the basement. Sad. Thank you Mr. Harper!
Old 05-08-2014, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
5 Years SPFGA 2009 750 members. 2013 4000 members. 5.3 times the number. That is drastic not anecdotal evidence. We know PAL applications are going up. I am interested in the root cause. PAL applications are an effect not a cause.
Bergerboy,

I know the sample size is "none".

What were the numbers in 2010, 2011, and 2012.

Was the increase in SPFGA due to other ranges changing or closing?
Old 05-08-2014, 08:33 PM

I don't have access to the numbers off-hand (maybe Bergerboy can get them) so I am stretching the grey matter here. At SPFGA, I think the first year of a "cap" was 2012, when it was set at about 3000 and about 3400 memberships were actually sold. I suspect the 2011 number may have been close to 3000?
I also believe that "cap fever" may be contributing to the rapid growth. My theory being that as long as prices remain relatively low, some will buy just to be sure they have a place to shoot (and renew transport authorizations for restricteds).
I don't believe there were any ranges that closed in the drawing area during the years we are discussing..but both of the other large ranges in the Edm area did experience to temporary closures as safety upgrades were required by the CFO.