Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2023, 08:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

This plastic crap is a real problem but before you eliminate it you do the research to have something in place.....

Every time I get to town or a larger city I am totally disgusted in the garbage on the streets, plastics, paper etc but then when I get to other countries and see how disgusting their streets are.....might as well be at a garbage dump or transfer station.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-17-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
This has nothing to do with the environment , just like the carbon tax, this is 100% virtue signaling. Trudeau doesn't care about the environment, or about the climate, he is just trying to buy votes from the people gullible enough to believe his nonsense. And while he is doing this, he wants to destroy our economy , in an attempt to make us dependent on government handouts. Hopefully, there are enough Canadians, that see through this nonsense, to vote the liberals out, in the next election.
Thank you sir. That is beautiful.
Old 11-17-2023, 09:20 AM

Yup. If it really was about the environment, there would be a lot more effort given to expand plastics recycling, and make it more accessible.

I'm still fuming about the fact that they stopped collecting clamshell plastic in our area. Now it has to go in with the garbage. And so much stuff is packaged in it nowadays - especially vegetables and pastries. What gives?

As for litter, yeah, that's almost a cultural thing. I remember watching people throw trash out of their car windows in the 70's. The chance of their kids/grandkids picking up the same habits is pretty high.
Old 11-17-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
This has nothing to do with the environment , just like the carbon tax, this is 100% virtue signaling. Trudeau doesn't care about the environment, or about the climate, he is just trying to buy votes from the people gullible enough to believe his nonsense. And while he is doing this, he wants to destroy our economy , in an attempt to make us dependent on government handouts. Hopefully, there are enough Canadians, that see through this nonsense, to wipe the liberals out, in the next election.
Fixed it for you.

Next election would relish a result where the liberals had less seats than the green party. They need to be taken out with the plastic trash!

BW
Old 11-17-2023, 10:29 AM

I also would love to see the NDP wiped out and loose official party status.
Old 11-17-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Fixed it for you.

Next election would relish a result where the liberals had less seats than the green party. They need to be taken out with the plastic trash!

BW
That would be ideal, but even a huge conservative majority would give our country some chance of recovering from the Trudeau years.
Old 11-17-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
This has nothing to do with the environment , just like the carbon tax, this is 100% virtue signaling. Trudeau doesn't care about the environment, or about the climate, he is just trying to buy votes from the people gullible enough to believe his nonsense. And while he is doing this, he wants to destroy our economy , in an attempt to make us dependent on government handouts. Hopefully, there are enough Canadians, that see through this nonsense, to vote the liberals out, in the next election.
All the lieberals I know are going to receive a pack of plastic straws for x-mas.
Old 11-17-2023, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Every time I get to town or a larger city I am totally disgusted in the garbage on the streets, plastics, paper etc but then when I get to other countries and see how disgusting their streets are.....might as well be at a garbage dump or transfer station.
I just spent three weeks touring central Peru. I could not believe how much garbage was in the streets, or along the highways and roads that we travelled. A large percentage of the garbage was plastics, and of that I would estimate that 80 percent were discarded drink containers, especially water bottles.

As much as I liked of what I saw of Peru, I was absolutely disgusted at the amount of garbage I saw discarded roadside.

Mr Conservation
Old 11-17-2023, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Bring back the plastic straw, shopping bag and spoons at Timms.
eating soup with a wooden spoon is disgusting!

Ban the plastic from items that are packaged in these hard plastics where you need a grinder to get into in order to get to the item.
I'll second that, IF single use plastic was a real issue they would do something about that. Plastic straws and utensils are just the low hanging fruit they used to virtue signal. I can guarantee that we toss more of that plastic packaging than we ever did straws and plastic spoons.
Old 11-18-2023, 08:33 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Conservation View Post
I just spent three weeks touring central Peru. I could not believe how much garbage was in the streets, or along the highways and roads that we travelled. A large percentage of the garbage was plastics, and of that I would estimate that 80 percent were discarded drink containers, especially water bottles.

As much as I liked of what I saw of Peru, I was absolutely disgusted at the amount of garbage I saw discarded roadside.

Mr Conservation
And the crap that makes it to the oceans, washing up on shores etc....brutal

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-18-2023, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Bring back the plastic straw, shopping bag and spoons at Timms.

eating soup with a wooden spoon is disgusting!

Ban the plastic from items that are packaged in these hard plastics where you need a grinder to get into in order to get to the item.
When I get a toy for my boy it has so much packaging. It's like they have a bunch of plastic they need to get rid of. But that stuff isn't even considered I guess?

I save grocery bags. I use them for garbage bags, or use them to bring my lunch to work. I don't think we've ever thrown out grocery bags. I remember my folks saving them when I was a kid.

We used them for everything. From using them for bringing beers on a road trip, to stuffing them in your boots to keep your feet dry.

I don't get how they categorize the importance of things we use.

Maybe Trudo's grocery bags are made of gold so he doesn't have to worry about these peasant problems.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2023, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Mr Conservation
I hear ya...

One of my buddies went to Italy last spring. Told me Rome is extremely bad when it comes to garbage, mostly plastic bottles. Smaller cities there were not as bad.

Closer to home, drive on Hwy#752 between the trunk road and Rocky after a long weekend. Heaven for bottle/can pickers. Oh and soiled plastic diapers, beverage cups, fast food bags, full green garbage bags, and an old beat up couch this summer, etc, etc...

I believe that most people are simply pigs...which is a big factor with this.
Old 11-18-2023, 09:36 AM

The really dumb part of the plastics ban is all the products that have the most plastic are still being sold, laundry detergent comes in 50 flavours all packed in a plastic box equivalent to 500 straws why not pack them in cardboard.

My shopping cart is loaded with plastic packaging heaven forbid I have a plastic bag to carry my groceries home later to be used for a garbage can liner instead I have to buy kitchen catchers to throw away??

Saturday rant over
Old 11-18-2023, 11:02 AM

To many parents have not trained their children properly, needed few more cuffs across the back of the head as "Attention Getter" when they discarded candy wrapper etc.
Old 11-18-2023, 11:26 AM

It’s a societal issue. Generations brought up and not taught right from wrong. Also, one would think that if we can put a person on the moon, we could also figure out a solution for garbage other than dumping in the oceans or piling up in a landfill.
Old 11-19-2023, 09:34 AM

Quote:
This has nothing to do with the environment , just like the carbon tax, this is 100% virtue signaling. Trudeau doesn't care about the environment, or about the climate, he is just trying to buy votes from the people gullible enough to believe his nonsense.

And while he is doing this, he wants to destroy our economy , in an attempt to make us dependent on government handouts. Hopefully, there are enough Canadians, that see through this nonsense, to vote the liberals out, in the next election.
^^^ RIGHT THERE ALL DAY LONG ^^^

I wish I could find more information on Calgary's upcoming (Jan 2024) "single use plastic, By-law"??

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 11-19-2023, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post

I wish I could find more information on Calgary's upcoming (Jan 2024) "single use plastic, By-law"??
If you're sure you really want to know...

https://www.calgary.ca/waste/residen...use-items.html

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 11-19-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The really dumb part of the plastics ban is all the products that have the most plastic are still being sold, laundry detergent comes in 50 flavours all packed in a plastic box equivalent to 500 straws why not pack them in cardboard.

My shopping cart is loaded with plastic packaging heaven forbid I have a plastic bag to carry my groceries home later to be used for a garbage can liner instead I have to buy kitchen catchers to throw away??

Saturday rant over
It’s getting ridiculous. I usually by Dempsters bread and they changed the little fastener that holds the bag closed to cardboard. After a couple of uses they fail and your bread dries out. I have some of the old plastic ones and I reuse them several times. I don’t understand how they think this helps
Old 11-19-2023, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post

Wouldn’t it be unconstitutional as well?
Old 11-19-2023, 10:33 AM

My take on the real problem, the container probably cost more than the contents.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-19-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors View Post
Wouldn’t it be unconstitutional as well?
If it is similar to the federal ban, it would be.
Old 11-20-2023, 05:34 PM

The lieberals appeal (of course). This is why we can’t have nice things… like a plastic straw. Really, we live in a country where the lieberals won’t let you have a plastic straw. Wish I could say that it’s shocking. Whatever it is, this is beyond stupid.
Old 11-20-2023, 09:27 PM

Quote:

Mr Conservation
Driving through Mexico on the way to San Jose Del Cabo was like Peru garbage everywhere, lots of plastics and drink containers
Old 11-21-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors View Post
The lieberals appeal (of course). This is why we can’t have nice things… like a plastic straw. Really, we live in a country where the lieberals won’t let you have a plastic straw. Wish I could say that it’s shocking. Whatever it is, this is beyond stupid.
Well, they are doubling down. They plan to appeal (link here).

They're also going the UN route to force this on us via our commitments to them and their impositions. I'm guessing it's via the UN's Plastic Treaty.
Old 11-21-2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post

They're also going the UN route to force this on us via our commitments to them and their impositions. I'm guessing it's via the UN's Plastic Treaty.
Ah yes, the UN, can’t say I remember voting for any of their proclamations. Anyone else?
Old 11-21-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post

They really do feel they are above our Canadian Courts, and constitution.

An election needs to be triggered somehow to stop these crooks....er I mean politicians.

BW
Old 11-21-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
They really do feel they are above our Canadian Courts, and constitution.

An election needs to be triggered somehow to stop these crooks....er I mean politicians.

BW
There will be no early election, the circus will continue unril 2025
Old 11-21-2023, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I know, but I won't stop hoping for one.

I can't recall the last time we had a federal government that actually governed for the best for its citizens from coast to coast to coast.

All we get it seems from governments is pet projects and virtue signalling.

RANT OVER

BW
Old 11-21-2023, 02:53 PM

Quote:
It’s funny though watching the lieberals turn on themselves. Self serving to their very core. Predicting a Wynne style election loss on a federal scale. No longer a matter of if, it’s just when.
Old 11-21-2023, 04:43 PM

Quote:

All we get it seems from governments is money laundering to friends projects and virtue signalling.

BW
Fixed it for you.