Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2018, 08:56 PM

The benifits of one hand opening knives are endless.

Last edited by north american hunter; 01-08-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:01 PM

“Why do you need...?”

The killer question.

Since when does anyone in a country like Canada or the US need to answer or ask such a question.

The correct answer is “because I can”.

Feeling like one has to add more, to justify it, is scary to me.

At work, we used to apply for vacation on a computer system.
Destination was one of the blanks to fill in

NOYFB was the reply I’d give.

“Why do you need?”............OMG. I can’t believe someone asked that.

Please tell me you were kidding artie
Old 01-08-2018, 09:15 PM

The CBSA prohibition description/explanation is so vague and ambiguous that it could apply to most knives in our pockets.

I suppose it would apply to this knife:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYTZwe9hy6w

Old 01-08-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
From what I understand these knives are almost like switch blade knives. Give the knife some force and the blade flies open or pops out of the handle. What do we need this type of knife for? With all the people getting hit or slashed with knives it is probably a good thing to get them off the street. The average hunter gutting an animal does not need one.
And how are they more of a danger to society than the type of knife that you think a hunter would use?
Old 01-08-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
From what I understand these knives are almost like switch blade knives. Give the knife some force and the blade flies open or pops out of the handle. What do we need this type of knife for? With all the people getting hit or slashed with knives it is probably a good thing to get them off the street. The average hunter gutting an animal does not need one.
You are probably right I will probably never skin another animal with a folder. I threw it out due too it being too nasty. However if you work in a area where you need to use your knife constantly. The ease opening these knives makes your day a lot better not too mention that it can be done one handed. We aren't always skinning animals. I have boxes to open as well.

The other issue with this little is that it's sets a precedent for other changes like guns or even fixed blades. If they set a size restriction on fixed blade you would be hooped if you wanted kitchen knives as generally they are pretty long.

My last point is I don't actually think these style of knives makes them any more dangerous. With the exception of a true stilleto which has been illegal for years. They don't really provide an advantage. The blade opens the same direction as any folder and the longest part of pulling a knife is reaching into the pocket. Once it's out its the same thing across the board.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:07 PM

Do we have any quality flipper design knife manufacturers in Canada? This only prohibits the importation of such knives.
Well I'm sure glad my Steel Will Cutjack just made it through a couple weeks back.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:20 PM

If I understand this correctly knives with thumb studs are also banned from import since they require minimal manipulation of a non edged portion of the blade to open.

It is astounding to me that the CBSA can do this. We are talking about nearly all folding knives.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:58 PM
Banned

They can have all my folders.......after they pry them from, my cold,dead,lifeless hands!!!!!!
Few things are more satisfying as waving my xl espada or super roadhouse, love peoples unexpected reactions when those locks crack!!!
Old 01-09-2018, 12:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
I got a few pocket knives that I use my thumb to open and if I want to get fancy can flick my wrist quickly the the 3" blade opens faster, peel an apple, cut a box open, cut a piece of tape just everything that needs cutting a work or around the house. Knife gets used probably three or four times a day and not even thinking about it as it is a tool. I also use them for animal/fish prep....
Your type that thinks it is going to make the criminals think differently as they "slash" others gotta shake your head...criminals don't give a ratz azz about laws, rules, regs....oh well next.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-09-2018, 06:08 AM
Banned

Maybe they did this because they would rather everyone carry a K-Bar on their belt.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:34 AM

Just another way the noose is getting tighter whats next the size of a blade
Old 01-09-2018, 07:00 AM

I see lots of broken finger nails in the future.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
Maybe box cutters/utility knives should be next as they can quite easily be opened with one one hand.
I think we are already there. Just tried this with my Olfa and I can flick it open if required.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:54 AM

There's a special edition ZT tied up in that quagmire right now. Kinda funny that it's not illegal, but it's a department of Justice lawyer prosecuting the case in the Trade Tribunal.

Seems like the Department of Justice is using the Tribunals to increase the laws and restrictions.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:11 AM
Banned

So where's a good place in Canada to stock up while they're still available?
Old 01-09-2018, 10:21 AM

Warriors and wonders are great do deal with and have everything anyone will ever need.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north american hunter View Post
Warriors and wonders are great do deal with and have everything anyone will ever need.
Thanks for the tip. I just checked the site and they have a huge selection. Should take a few hours to look through!
Old 01-09-2018, 10:45 AM

I think Warriors and Wonders has an exemption from Customs to import many of the knives that they do.

That being said, I haven't seen any knives that I want in the blade material that I want from them. Have to buy that from the US.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
I think Warriors and Wonders has an exemption from Customs to import many of the knives that they do.

That being said, I haven't seen any knives that I want in the blade material that I want from them. Have to buy that from the US.
What blade steel is that?
Old 01-09-2018, 11:46 AM

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the bulk of the CBSA people just happen to coincidentally have collections of knives like these at home: Spyderco, Benchmade, Reate, Zero Tolerance, etc.... especially if they have premium blade steel.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
They do, for now...

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknorthernjk View Post
Do we have any quality flipper design knife manufacturers in Canada? This only prohibits the importation of such knives.
Well I'm sure glad my Steel Will Cutjack just made it through a couple weeks back.
https://grimsmo-knives.myshopify.com/

They are custom made to order and the wait list is very long. I think the prices start at $600 and go up to the thousands if you want all the fancy extras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
If I understand this correctly knives with thumb studs are also banned from import since they require minimal manipulation of a non edged portion of the blade to open.

It is astounding to me that the CBSA can do this. We are talking about nearly all folding knives.
It gives them the ability to refuse entry to them but you can be sure only the "scary" looking knives will be affected. Or the nice looking ones that they want for themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post

I doubt they have an exception. Wouldn't surprise me if they had a US PO box that they pick up all their orders from though to save them coming through the mail.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
they had a few things i needed. thank-you
Old 01-09-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
I see lots of broken finger nails in the future.
I see your point: a broken finger nail can ruin the whole weekend! ROFL
Old 01-09-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
I doubt they have an exception. Wouldn't surprise me if they had a US PO box that they pick up all their orders from though to save them coming through the mail.
I'd bet that they do have an exemption. There's a form for that.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
They can have all my folders.......after they pry them from, my cold,dead,lifeless hands!!!!!!
Few things are more satisfying as waving my xl espada or super roadhouse, love peoples unexpected reactions when those locks crack!!!
That is freaking hard core - must be a real rush !!!!!

Perhaps upping the ante to pulling out a loaded handgun and pressing it up to a random strangers forehead at the grocery store or something. Wouldn't watching them soil themselves give you a total rush too !!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2018, 02:42 PM
Banned

A knife as simple as my Outdoor Edge Razorlite could be included in this. No spring at all but very easy one handed opening. I have a CRKT Shennanigan that has no spring but I can open with just the flick of a wrist. Both of them are great hunting knives. Do I “need” either one of them? Nope. But how does that make them any more dangerous than my Buck 119?
Old 01-09-2018, 02:50 PM

Guess I'll need to educate myself on just what this tribunal quasi judicial group is
Old 01-09-2018, 03:30 PM

Default Knifes

So my new go to hunting knife out door edge zip & flip is going to be prohibited because it has a thumb stud and all it takes to open it is my thumb instead of two fingers and both hands ???
Old 01-09-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig 44 View Post
So my new go to hunting knife out door edge zip & flip is going to be prohibited because it has a thumb stud and all it takes to open it is my thumb instead of two fingers and both hands ???
Won't be prohibited, you just won't be able to get it across the border.
Cat