Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhuntercentral View Post
I don't see it in my channels either is it a single channel addon?
Channel 126 and I don't think it's available in hd. Fishing shows suck anyhow.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
Yes they do . We have it.
Quote:
Channel 126 and I don't think it's available in hd. Fishing shows suck anyhow.
126 is not HD. HD channels on Telus are in the 600 channel range.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:39 PM

I know one thing i really enjoyed watching sandi, and luke hammer them monster whitetails today on outdoor quest........Luke thats the first time i seen your 67 inch moose on tv, huge congrats man that was awsome.

I really like the memorial touch you fellas put at the end of the show for the indian fella that showed you the hunting area...very classy. and very nice animals for sure.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoplex View Post
126 is not HD. HD channels on Telus are in the 600 channel range.
Hence why I said it's not available in hd. Still available from Telus however....you're pretty sharp.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:18 PM

Default Hunting? or just killing?

I just watched an episode where a guy took a shot at an antelope.

lazered to 650 at a pond edge in front, never did get the lazer on the goat

guessed 700yds... so the guy gets down and takes a shot!

This is hunting????????

WTF are we teaching our youth?

700yds??? yeah, that's OK, just start laying down the lead, you might get something!
Old 03-13-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post

Some one once gave me the "if ya don't like it don't watch it" advice and you know what, I don't watch it

I have followed the same advice.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:35 PM

Isn't Wild TV a Canadian network?? I thought because of the Candian broadcasting rules (forgive me I don't know exactly what they are called) That somethin like 60% of the content has to be Canadian?
Old 03-13-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Hence why I said it's not available in hd. Still available from Telus however....you're pretty sharp.
Hilarious. The thread goes:

Me: Telus doesn't have WFN HD

You: yes they do, I have it

Me: no they dont, what channel is WFN hd then?

You: I never said WFN hd exists

You're a bona fide genius.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
I know one thing i really enjoyed watching sandi, and luke hammer them monster whitetails today on outdoor quest........Luke thats the first time i seen your 67 inch moose on tv, huge congrats man that was awsome.

I really like the memorial touch you fellas put at the end of the show for the indian fella that showed you the hunting area...very classy. and very nice animals for sure.
Thank's Pat, It was an unforgetable season for the Outdoor Quest crew for sure. I sure liked the show with you and your dad's Yukon bull's. Man what a great line up this year of all North American Big Game species. Desert, Dall, Bighorn sheep, huge elk, and many big moose.

The picture at the end of the show is of Raymond Joseph Wanyandie who passed away in August 2010. I never got to meet Raymond but I sure heard lots of stories about him from Kenny Moberly. Raymond is Kenny's Uncle and they hunted together alot. In September of 2009 Raymond took Kenny into the same place were I got my moose and they got a nice bull with a bow. Kenny told me Ray's true passion was elk hunting and has killed more huge bull's then anyone else he knows. Ray Wanyandie was a true professional hunter.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Isn't Wild TV a Canadian network?? I thought because of the Candian broadcasting rules (forgive me I don't know exactly what they are called) That somethin like 60% of the content has to be Canadian?
Yes, Wild TV is a Canadian Network, if I remeber correctly, they would need at least 65% Canadian content to qualify for the government rebate for a broadcasting network... I don't think they are there, there is alot of American shows used as fillers, probably more than the Canadian content...
Old 03-14-2011, 09:04 AM

What I find so offensive on many of the US-based WildTV shows is all the high-fiving, whooping and carrying on when they make the kill.
You've just taken the life of an animal. Show it a little dignity in death, son.
Back before the culture of the CFL was hi-jacked and became the small American negro league (no racism here just observation of behavioral traits) there was a wide out with the Eskimos who used to do his version of the chicken dance every time be scored a TD.
One day he was taken aside by a veteran Canadian lineman and told "act like you've been in the end zone before."
He toned it down after that.
I feel that way after one of those 30-something, good old boys starts getting stupid over a food plot kill.
You also have to remember most of these hunts are basically infor-mercials for the outfitter who is giving the hunt away for free.
But all that jumping around shows no class.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Waugh View Post
What I find so offensive on many of the US-based WildTV shows is all the high-fiving, whooping and carrying on when they make the kill.
You've just taken the life of an animal. Show it a little dignity in death, son.
Back before the culture of the CFL was hi-jacked and became the small American negro league (no racism here just observation of behavioral traits) there was a wide out with the Eskimos who used to do his version of the chicken dance every time be scored a TD.
One day he was taken aside by a veteran Canadian lineman and told "act like you've been in the end zone before."
He toned it down after that.
I feel that way after one of those 30-something, good old boys starts getting stupid over a food plot kill.
You also have to remember most of these hunts are basically infor-mercials for the outfitter who is giving the hunt away for free.
But all that jumping around shows no class.
Man it seems like you live in a sad world. I love seeing real emotion when people are successful, nothing is worse than the convict scowl pictures. Watching Pat can make my whole week!
Old 03-14-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Man it seems like you live in a sad world. I love seeing real emotion when people are successful, nothing is worse than the convict scowl pictures. Watching Pat can make my whole week!
x2. When I got my dall and moose in the NWT there was a whole lot of jumping up and down, and high fives.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-14-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldredneck View Post
1) WFN is the fishing network , Wild should be hunting only , same goes for the ATV shows, get yer own channel.
2) We also asked Shaw a couple times about adding Wild to their line up . When we shut off Shaw they asked me why , said I was changing to Telus , They started to talk about rates and deals to keep me, told them I was switching because of the availability of Wild TV , sudden quiet and no more questions ...lol
Back to the origional intent of this thread :
1) I screen and watch the shows that interest me, Goats , Sheep , Africa and Elk. Love my PVR , record the shows that are usually good and can delete the show in the first five minutes if the content isnt what I want. Save the good ones to watch over and over.
I wouldn't expect a station to have only the shows that interest me, God knows I would never get anything else done ...lol ... and I am ok with that , everyone has different interests, thats what makes life so interesting
My 2 cents

I do the same thing. PVR is great.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-14-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuk-O-dah-Nort View Post
I just watched an episode where a guy took a shot at an antelope.

lazered to 650 at a pond edge in front, never did get the lazer on the goat

guessed 700yds... so the guy gets down and takes a shot!

This is hunting????????

WTF are we teaching our youth?

700yds??? yeah, that's OK, just start laying down the lead, you might get something!
Question is did he kill it? Or miss? I'm not comfortable taking a shot from that distance but if they guy practices at those kind of ranges and has a rig that can do it why not?

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-14-2011, 04:16 PM

There has to be some emotion:

SOMETHING.
The day my leg quits shaking is the day I quit. Sure I am sick of the food plot crap, others may not be. I also I have my must see shows.
There is a program guide free with your satellite/ cable use it and enjoy
Old 03-14-2011, 04:23 PM

Looks like most of you on here aren't big fans about the majority of Wild tv line up !!!

The only way to get things changed is to write Wild tv and voice your complaints, enough imput from the viewer , I'm sure will trickle down the pipe line and have either the shows listen, and change, or cancelled !!!
Old 03-14-2011, 04:28 PM

The only shows I don't really care for are hunting white tails out of stands and black bears out of stands. I find them boring. But I do think there are some pretty good shows and they happen to be the ones my PVR is set for.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-14-2011, 04:28 PM

This may sound like a dumb question... but I don't hunt.

What does "food plot" mean?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
This may sound like a dumb question... but I don't hunt.

What does "food plot" mean?
It's where a part of a field is planted with a crop that is specifically for deer, elk, etc. Kind of like baiting 20 acres or so. It is quite popular in some of the U.S. states.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-14-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
It's where a part of a field is planted with a crop that is specifically for deer, elk, etc. Kind of like baiting 20 acres or so. It is quite popular in some of the U.S. states.
Wow... isn't that, like, kind of cheating?

No offence to anyone intended - just looking it objectively as someone who doesn't know much about hunting.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Wow... isn't that, like, kind of cheating?

No offence to anyone intended - just looking it objectively as someone who doesn't know much about hunting.
Depends how you look at it. Some places you can throw a pile of grain on the ground and wait. The first big white tail I shot was in a hay field. They got to eat somewhere. You also have to take into account that some places in the U.S. you only may be able to hunt on 80-100 acres of land. We get spoiled up here where we can hunt on huge tracts of private farm land and crown land.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-14-2011, 04:52 PM

Changing out my subscribtion at the end of the month. In the beginning there were some good programs with good hunts. Lately though, I have viewed programs that I would class as unprofessional hunting with bad shot after bad shot. Some I am amazed they even recovered the animal. I understand everyone has different taste but I would think that viewers would want to portray hunting as professional as possible. If running short on hunting programs; would they not be able to fill the gaps with other outdoor programs like Ray Mears Outdoor bushcraft or the sort that may catch the younger eye. Don't think too many youth would be interested in property for sale programs that are currently being run. If it changes for the better I will dive back in but right now it's not worth the extra bucks...
Old 03-14-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
Depends how you look at it. Some places you can throw a pile of grain on the ground and wait. The first big white tail I shot was in a hay field. They got to eat somewhere. You also have to take into account that some places in the U.S. you only may be able to hunt on 80-100 acres of land. We get spoiled up here where we can hunt on huge tracts of private farm land and crown land.
Makes sense I suppose.

I was thinking they were planting some crop that was irresistible to deer (like catnip for cats). Come to think of it, that's actually quite a hilarious mental image
Old 03-14-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Makes sense I suppose.

I was thinking they were planting some crop that was irresistible to deer (like catnip for cats). Come to think of it, that's actually quite a hilarious mental image
Some of the crops they plant are pretty irresistible to deer, hence the attraction to frequent that area.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-14-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
You know Rich, I had in my mind to add a line that the Canadian guys don't generally act that way. Elation yes, we all experience the buck fever rush or why would we do it. But respect too. Mixed emotions certainly.
Not jumping around like idiots acting like the football players they never got to be.
But after your "sad world" comment I guess I better hold that thought.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post

X2. I especially enjoyed the reaction from Sandi. That is reality tv at its best. the shakes, broken voice.... priceless. My wife is the same way after taking an animal so I can relate( she had to lay down because she thought she was going to puke), it is a pretty emotional time, everyone has their own way of showing it. Whether it is high fives, or uncontrolled shaking, I have had both.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:09 PM

It was indeed a treat to see the 67" moose in Outdoor Quest! Also still remember some antelope footage that looked like there was an earthquake in Southern Alberta! :-)

But yeah, I've been getting pretty selective about what I watch. There is some not-so-good quality stuff, and a lot of stuff that just doesn't interest me as much. I don't get excited about waterfowl, yet-another-whitetail, or turkey, or baited black bear, South African plains game hunts, shows where 80% of the time I have to listen to a plethora of hosts and co-hosts and their buddies talk... Don't care about 4x4 shows, fishing that isn't fly fishing, how-to-make-a-food-plot, etc... but others might just love that stuff! I like exotic locations, original story lines, everything above timberline, unusual species, and more.

I could go on and on about what I do or don't like, but I could spend just as long on telling you what I do or don't like on CBC or any other TV channel. You can't please everybody all the time.

Before I got Bell and Wild TV all I had was Thomas Pigeon and that was getting a bit old.

Last edited by Frans; 03-14-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mm08 View Post
Jason Peterson (sp) gets on my nerves. How can someone with absolutely no sportsmanship get a hunting show? he is all about the kill...at all costs. And most of the shots I have seen him make were poor.
I had the chance to spend a week in a camp with Jason and would love to again. Great guy and hard worker.

Those kill shots pay his bills. I think HCAB is one of the better shows imo.

tm
Old 03-14-2011, 09:23 PM

I like the hunting What really bugs me is all the " Cooter,Clem and Billy Bob southern rednecks who act like totally babbling drooling idiots high on moon shine when they shoot something the fist pumping laughing and facial expressions that more resemble sitting on a 10 inch pine cone just dont cut it especially when its a 90 inch deer Professionals?? I don't think so Gives the sport a bad impression in my opinion

Gord