Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2024, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
It might if he is hoping to get his citizenship application grandfathered via his dad.
I highly doubt it. Maybe if he had renounced his citizenship but taxes?? By that reasoning they’d refuse entry to his father returning to the states because of back taxes. They can’t refuse entry to a citizen returning.
Old 06-20-2024, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I highly doubt it. Maybe if he had renounced his citizenship but taxes?? By that reasoning they’d refuse entry to his father returning to the states because of back taxes. They can’t refuse entry to a citizen returning.
I don't know if it has to do so much with being able to freely travel, but more about whether the father's citizenship is in good standing in order to sponsor the son's application. That means that all tax filings need to be up-to-date. For the most part, income taxes are harmonized between the USA and Canada, but still, a separate return must be filed.

Under Obama they went after expats hard, if they hadn't filed their US tax returns. Remember the fiasco where the IRS demanded that Canadian banks divulge the names of the US citizens who held accounts there?

Initially our finance minister pushed back, then the US responded with, "Oh well, then we will simply put a tariff on all financial transactions between the US and Canada". So Canada caved.

Many Americans that lived here went into a panic, because they didn't realize that they still had to file in the US. Hence the flood of US Citizenship renunciations. Of course, then Obama responded by raising the price of renunciations... For those that had never filed, they were looking at tens of thousands in fees, back taxes and renunciation processing fees to get that cleared up.

In other countries, they responded by kicking out their American account holders. If you were a US expat in Germany, for instance, you would have a rough time getting a local bank account there.

But, I derail...

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 06-20-2024 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-21-2024, 12:14 AM

Getting back to the main subject of this thread.
It looks like a resident of the US can import a firearm if he has an FFC Federal Firearms Certificate (I think).
Anybody know about that one?
Old 06-21-2024, 03:57 AM

If he calls the ATF they will be able to answer any questions and provide him with the correct forms. Do not get advise on the US law here lol. Every time one of these threads comes up there's expert advise from people that have obviously haven't crossed in a long time if ever. I'm not sure if the law is the same for a Green Card carrier vs a Visa carrier, but I just needed to file my regular 6NIA form 5yrs ago. After verifying multiple times I found out it didn't need to be renewed annually either... as long as the guns never left the US. If they did, the 6NIA would need to be filed again upon reentry. The only time I needed a permanent import, was when I sold one of them to a friend down there.
Old 06-21-2024, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkering View Post
Getting back to the main subject of this thread.
It looks like a resident of the US can import a firearm if he has an FFC Federal Firearms Certificate (I think).
Anybody know about that one?
Are you maybe thing a FFL (Federal Firearms License)? All guns being shipped need to go through a FFL Dealer. If he is not crossing on his own, with his personal collection he would need a FFL dealer to except them I would think.
Old 06-21-2024, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointer man View Post
If he calls the ATF they will be able to answer any questions and provide him with the correct forms. Do not get advise on the US law here lol. Every time one of these threads comes up there's expert advise from people that have obviously haven't crossed in a long time if ever. I'm not sure if the law is the same for a Green Card carrier vs a Visa carrier, but I just needed to file my regular 6NIA form 5yrs ago. After verifying multiple times I found out it didn't need to be renewed annually either... as long as the guns never left the US. If they did, the 6NIA would need to be filed again upon reentry. The only time I needed a permanent import, was when I sold one of them to a friend down there.
OK, so just Call the ATF to get the up to date bottom line. That sounds like the plan. Thanks
Old 06-21-2024, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointer man View Post
Are you maybe thing a FFL (Federal Firearms License)? All guns being shipped need to go through a FFL Dealer. If he is not crossing on his own, with his personal collection he would need a FFL dealer to except them I would think.
My mistake for sure. It should have read FFL. I will PHONE the ATF number to try and get the bottom line. Thanks
Old 06-22-2024, 01:12 PM

I will post the results when we get to the bottom line of this situation.
Thanks