Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-11-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Lol, I couldn't resist.

I have never heard of any cracking cams, and haven't had any issues. Are you referring to current models or past models?
Cam design hasn't changed much has it?

LC
Old 07-11-2016, 10:22 PM

My understanding is it was regular use wear and tear. Notice the pic where the strings are installed and intact it wasn't derailed. Stress cracks.

LC
Old 07-11-2016, 10:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
No Obsession cams. Want to keep an eye on yours if similar design not a lot of material in a high load area

LC
Quote:
Cam design hasn't changed much has it?

LC

I have a set of Bowtech cams in my cabinet that didn't fair quite as well as the ones in your pic, but cracked in the exact same location.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I have a set of Bowtech cams in my cabinet that didn't fair quite as well as the ones in your pic, but cracked in the exact same location.
Supposed to nock an arrow

Which bow are they from?

Just pointing out....it happens to every company at some point. Doesn't make them all bad right?

Saw a PSE last week that the cam axle was busted in half....poop happens to them all.

LC
Old 07-11-2016, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Supposed to nock an arrow

Which bow are they from?

Just pointing out....it happens to every company at some point. Doesn't make them all bad right?

Saw a PSE last week that the cam axle was busted in half....poop happens to them all.

LC
It was from my 360, totally my fault. I pressed my bow then didn't make sure my string was in the grove all the way, then when I released it from the press it popped out of the track. It wasn't that bad because the limbs were backed way out, but it doesn't take much stress at the wrong direction to make a good design fail.

Wherever those pics you got came from, I have a sneaking suspicion that it was more than just regular wear and tear because it looks almost identical to the ones off my 360.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
It was from my 360, totally my fault. I pressed my bow then didn't make sure my string was in the grove all the way, then when I released it from the press it popped out of the track. It wasn't that bad because the limbs were backed way out, but it doesn't take much stress at the wrong direction to make a good design fail.

Wherever those pics you got came from, I have a sneaking suspicion that it was more than just regular wear and tear because it looks almost identical to the ones off my 360.
There isn't a lot of material there on the cam...supposedly it was regular wear and tear (those strings look almost mint) the guy caught the crack in the right light and checked it out further...then realized both the top and bottom cams were cracked and were starting to twist slightly. Pretty sure Obsession looked after it, but something to keep an eye on and be aware of.

LC
Old 07-11-2016, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
There isn't a lot of material there on the cam...supposedly it was regular wear and tear (those strings look almost mint) the guy caught the crack in the right light and checked it out further...then realized both the top and bottom cams were cracked and were starting to twist slightly. Pretty sure Obsession looked after it, but something to keep an eye on and be aware of.

LC
I certainly will, thanks Lefty.

Prime example of why it is so important to always roll with atleast two bows for hunting.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:37 AM

If your shooting obsession maybe it best you roll with 4 or 5 just in case

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2016, 07:51 AM

Or you could have just one Hoyt. Since they are the only iso 9000 certified manufacturer the odds of getting a lemon are that much lower.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:16 AM
Banned

Hoyt's are good too, I had a bunch of them, and and would own one today if the 2016 models didn't feel like was shooting a 2010 model.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:35 PM

Having a spare bow isn't a bad thing...know of shooters bows...couple ran over by their truck [some you can do that to don't you know...lol]...

Some dropped from tree stands...some fair out...others don't so good...

Couple lost off canoes,
More than you want to know left on car roofs or truck tailgates..then drive away ...some are found ...some never to be seen again..

One lost crossing bow river at Canmore on foot as current too strong...

Countless in quad/trike rollovers...one watched his bow roll over a side of a mountain strapped to a quad that didn't have engine breaks...

And the #1 reason...already three thus far and call on another last night...is the famed dryfire....by brother ,father , uncle, best friend etc....and worst by unauthorized Billy Bob feeling free to pick up your bow...so many are a result of torqueing bow grip on draw and or let down...

Then there's the one for the pro's that real hurt...I know of a hand full of whom I would consider pro shooters ...draw and shoot with absolutely no arrow ...the shooters being in such a element of concentration miss one key step...

lol..

With my luck I know I am prone to any and all above so I have a backup...some USA bows can take 6-8 weeks for parts ..which is the bow hunting season for most...

My backup bow is identical to my main bow...just blacked out!

Neil
Old 07-12-2016, 01:44 PM
Banned

You forgot dragging a broadhead across the string while keeping your eyes on the deer. I watched my friend come to full draw on a buck last fall then boom, the string blew up.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
You forgot dragging a broadhead across the string while keeping your eyes on the deer. I watched my friend come to full draw on a buck last fall then boom, the string blew up.
Did forget that...second biggest reason for broken strings next to improper install of peeps!!

Neil