Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-22-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
a lot of things could be blamed for the price drop. doesnt really matter....the bottom line is less for conservation, and thats not great news.
Less for conservation is never good. I heard the Clearwater got a burn this year - that is money well spent. Anywhere else ? I wonder if any of that money was used to fund Coltman ?
Old 01-22-2012, 05:26 PM

This is the BC Tag description that was given on the icollector.com site.

This permit is a premier opportunity to hunt your choice of thinhorn sheep (Dall’s and Stone’s) or bighorn sheep (California and Rocky Mountain) in B.C. The permit will be valid on any Crown land or private land (with owner’s permission) that has a legal sheep hunting season for 2012. The permit will be valid during the regular hunting season. In addition, the successful bidder will have a special opportunity to hunt for bighorn sheep until December 20, approximately 1 month past the end of the latest hunting season for bighorns. If the species of choice is a thinhorn sheep, the permit will be valid for an additional period of 21 days prior to the opening of the regular hunting season for thinhorn to March 31. There will only be one other person licensed to hunt sheep during these extended opportunities.
The permit is valid for any male sheep. The permit holder is required to purchase a sheep species license in order to hunt under the Special Permit. A sheep harvested under this permit is in addition to any applicable bag limit for sheep, however, the permit holder may only hold one uncancelled sheep species license at one time. If the permit holder wants to hunt under the normal provincial hunting regulation, they may do so in the same region or a different region as the Special Permit hunt.
The permit holder is required to use the services of a licensed guide-outfitter in the area in which they choose to hunt. Representatives of the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations and the Guide Outfitters Association of British Columbia will be available at the Convention to assist and answer questions regarding this Permit.
Guiding fees are negotiated between the permit holder and the guide outfitter and are in addition to the bid price for the Special Permit. The Special Permit is non-transferable. In the event the permit holder does not, or cannot hunt, there is no refund of the bid price.
The permit continues to raise significant funds for sheep management and conservation in B.C. Funds will be deposited in the Special Sheep Account with the Habitat Conservation Trust Fund. Under the direction of a special stakeholder committee, 75% of those funds will be used for sheep related projects in the province, while the remaining 25% can be used for other wildlife enhancement projects.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Last year the auction buyer took a Stone in BC...the first time it's been a thinhorn. It looks like it's going to be the new archery world record so I suspect that had something to do with driving the BC tag up too. The Alberta buyer still get two weeks totally on his own without competition. I think the big die off at Cadomin last winter likely had a lot to do with it and the lack of success that last year's buyer had. It's a small community of people that can afford those tags.....they talk lots.
The lady that bought it has never hunted sheep before. Nothing to do with people talking, more to do with the fact she was sitting with B.C. Residents. If she would have been at my table she might have bought ours. Who knows. This hunt selling high had more to do with a very strong lady having a new outlook on life and money.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-22-2012, 07:04 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
The lady that bought it has never hunted sheep before. Nothing to do with people talking, more to do with the fact she was sitting with B.C. Residents. If she would have been at my table she might have bought ours. Who knows. This hunt selling high had more to do with a very strong lady having a new outlook on life and money.
It takes two to make an auction She didn't get it to $300k by herself.

Just heard that a guy I know here in Alberta was the first name drawn in the 3/4 slam draw but he wasn't there to accept it so they moved on to the next name...that's gotta hurt!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Just heard that a guy I know here in Alberta was the first name drawn in the 3/4 slam draw but he wasn't there to accept it so they moved on to the next name...that's gotta hurt!
Ouch that would hurt big time!! Haha....

And ya, there was definitely more interest in the BC tag this year, and not due to one person bidding. I can see a lot of reason why the BC tag went so high. If given the choice, it would be a tough one for sure with so many options for sheep.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:

Ya saw that this morning, especially on a desert that would haunt me for a while ha ha.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:16 PM

Sheep B.C. sold for $250k, Montana sold for $300k after we got power back. Alberta needs to start doing a better job marketing that tag. There are more places in Alberta to hunt than Cadomin.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-22-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
Sheep B.C. sold for $250k, Montana sold for $300k after we got power back. Alberta needs to start doing a better job marketing that tag. There are more places in Alberta to hunt than Cadomin.
I agree 100% that they need to start making it clear that there are 190+ rams in a ton of other really cool areas to hunt other than sitting on the mine at Cadomin. It should be a bit more obvious after this year but the options are endless....
Old 01-22-2012, 10:07 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
I agree 100% that they need to start making it clear that there are 190+ rams in a ton of other really cool areas to hunt other than sitting on the mine at Cadomin. It should be a bit more obvious after this year but the options are endless....
Some of the previous buyers have hired some pretty extensive scouting teams that really haven't found anything bigger than Cadomin. With the big die off in Cadomin no doubt guys will start looking elsewhere. I suspect most will still end up there though. That was where they still saw the biggest ram this year. He just wouldn't come off the mine.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:19 PM

Ya no doubt its the spot to go and look at big giant rams. I would say that it would have the most rams for sure and some of the biggest as well. I think you're right about most guys ending up there anyways. Its the 'easy' place to hunt and put your time in. Obviously 'easy' is used not so much for the toughness of the hunt but for the opportunity at big rams.

Either way, will be interesting to see what the future holds with this tag, hunting opportunities, etc, etc....lots happening in the Alberta sheep world!

In any event, I'd have a hard time if I was given a choice between the AB tag and the BC tag....I know that much!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Banned

ive been thinking about that report by geist...and now cadomin pops up again. oops...wrong thread.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:

Ouch!

How'd you guys make out on the Marco Polo sheephunter?
Old 01-23-2012, 06:02 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
Ouch!

How'd you guys make out on the Marco Polo sheephunter?
Good in the fact we didn't spend any money...lol It went for top dollar which is great!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:06 PM

Sheep hunter ,
Pretty good prices on those hunts which like you say is a good thing. We have the same Marco Polo hunt in a few weeks at our Eastern Chapter WSF. It does not include the ibex but that can be added. If you have any interest I would be glad to talk to you about it.

By the way there were 6 people who had their names pulled before the winner was present

Jim
Old 01-23-2012, 08:26 PM
sheephunter

Yikes, I bet there are 5 people really kicking their butts after that. I really need to get my three registered with WSF one day soon.

Is the marco polo hunt at your chapter with Asian Mountain Outfitters?
Old 01-23-2012, 08:34 PM

I have four friends who have won the drawings over the years. You Got to be in it to win it. Those drawings are the best odds out there.

Yes the hunt is with Asian Mountain.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:36 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim 1367 View Post
I have four friends who have won the drawings over the years. You Got to be in it to win it. Those drawings are the best odds out there.
Good advice...on my list of things to do tomorrow!