Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-29-2014, 10:02 AM

I know its not a bolt gun or single shot but have you considered a lever?
my favorite 22lr is a marlin 39 golden A . It come with marlins semi buckhorn sights and mine has NO plastic parts. I mounted a lymans tang sight on mine but a receiver mounted peep is also available. the micro grooved barrel is quite accurate as well. Henry and browning also make great little levers. my second fav 22 is my savage bolt gun.. no irons on it though
Old 12-29-2014, 04:49 PM

Don't forget about the Ruger 77/22. It's a truly solid gun with nice lines and great accuracy. Plus, it has the advantage of using the Ruger 10/22 magazines of 25 or even greater capacity for those long days of gopher shooting. Comes with scope rings, too. I wouldn't sell mine, and I've owned the CZ.

I also agree the Brno was an excellent piece.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:45 PM

2-250 range - Marlin XT22
300ish range - Ruger American and Zastava (sp?)

These are 2 good options that are decent price and sights.

Depends what ya wanna spend! Finding CZ's with sights is a bit harder, there's always an older Cooey around too.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:53 PM

I have a Savage MK II BV and absolutely love it. It has the accutrigger, heavy barrel and recessed crown. I can tell you it is an absolute tack driver. That rifle has shot hundreds of gophers since I have purchased it and thankfully it seems to love the Yellow Jackets which although pricey, pack a wollop. It is absolutely a great rifrle BUT is scoped. I would buy that rifle again in a heartbeat. It is on the heavier side, which I like, as I wanted a .22 that didn't feel like a kids gun. On the other hand, if you are looking at it for a kid, might not be for you. My 2 cents, Mark.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFFBUFF View Post
2-250 range - Marlin XT22
300ish range - Ruger American and Zastava (sp?)

These are 2 good options that are decent price and sights.

Depends what ya wanna spend! Finding CZ's with sights is a bit harder, there's always an older Cooey around too.
I bought the Ruger American last year and it seems to be very good rifle . I bought because it imitated my tikka t3 light in the way it handles and shoots.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:53 PM

A rem 541T and a win 52 are pretty high on my list of wanted rimfires.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 12-29-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I bought the Ruger American last year and it seems to be very good rifle . I bought because it imitated my tikka t3 light in the way it handles and shoots.
I would have tried the Ruger one out but have a 77/22 that I really like and a CZ Style that's the cats azz. They don't have open sights though, solved that problem with a mid60's Cooey tube feed that will put 5 touching with open sights at 25yrds which is cool.

Lots of options and fun in the rim fire world.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I know its not a bolt gun or single shot but have you considered a lever?
my favorite 22lr is a marlin 39 golden A . It come with marlins semi buckhorn sights and mine has NO plastic parts. I mounted a lymans tang sight on mine but a receiver mounted peep is also available. the micro grooved barrel is quite accurate as well. Henry and browning also make great little levers. my second fav 22 is my savage bolt gun.. no irons on it though
I own the Marlin as well. Bought it @ K-mart Forest Lawn 3+ decades & probably 100 bricks of shells through it. As well rode in the back window with whatever bigger I needed for 10 years. Still going very strong.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:29 PM

Find a used Kimber 82 or Classic 22? Pricey, but classy.

Nothing wrong with a Savage, but I would also consider a Ruger American or a CZ Farmer. If you can live without sights, a Browning T-bolt or an used A-bolt 22 may be what you need.

Now if Cooey was still made and had a decent trigger pull, they might be one of the world's most under rated 22s. My 600 might just be my most accurate 22, even with a heavy, terrible trigger. Give me some Remington Golden Bullet 40gr HP and that puppy will shoot dime sized groups at 50 yds with a 3/4" 22 scope.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:10 PM

One of my friends at work bought a Savage Mark II in September, and when we were at the range, after accounting for trajectory, he was shooting 2-1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with cheap ammo, it caught my attention as well as my wife's. She bought the same rifle, at $260, and she keeps saying, "It just feels like cheating, it shoots so straight."
The only really "cheap" cue I see is the plastic trigger guard integral to the stock, but that's minor. Cool to see such a thick barrel on it, and it's got a good weight.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
A rem 541T and a win 52 are pretty high on my list of wanted rimfires.
Yup me too. I have a 541T HB but I can see myself owning a cpl more if they came up. Between it and my Anshutz 1418, I should be satisfied, but that wouldn't be any fun now, would it .
Old 12-30-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
haha everyone here seems to love what they have
exactly,...and the reason why discussions turn in to arguments so quickly when rifles are the topic.

No one wants to be seen as making the wrong choice., even in someone else's eyes. The human ego is an interesting thing.

.....and, the 455 isn't half the rifle the 452 is.

I've owned all the CZ's from Model 1 thru Model 4,....best rimfires made for the $$.

I have a CIL branded Anschutz that's also very good.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:14 AM

I have tried all of these so I am listing them in order of descending accuracy and descending price;
Anschutz, Ultra Light Rifles
Cooper
CZ
Browning A Bolt
Savage, Marlin, Zastava

The very worst of these is still a very accurate gun. In 22 RF you do get what you pay for. If you want top quality accuracy along with fit and finish then buy the top end guns. If you want accurate and are okay with a little less finish, Marlin and Savage are impossible to beat.

Not recommended due to high price versus poor accuracy, Ruger 77/22, Browning T-Bolt, along with current production Remington and Winchester bolt actions.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have tried all of these so I am listing them in order of descending accuracy and descending price;
Cooper
CZ
Browning A Bolt
Savage, Marlin, Zastava

The very worst of these is still a very accurate gun. In 22 RF you do get what you pay for. If you want top quality accuracy along with fit and finish then buy the top end guns. If you want accurate and are okay with a little less finish, Marlin and Savage are impossible to beat.

Not recommended due to high price versus poor accuracy, Ruger 77/22, Browning T-Bolt, along with current production Remington and Winchester bolt actions.
x2. Agree with this assessment wholeheartedly. I can only tell you what I have (Savage MK II BV) is an excellent rifle if all you care about is accuracy. Fit and finish, different story. Great list of rifles.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
agree!
if yoiur looking for a quality rimfire, step back in time and buy a rem 541
when they shut down production on these i called wholesale sports and they put a heavy barrel aside for me as i made the trip into town.

i got there and they accidentally sold it while it was on hold, i was so choked i didn't come back for a year

never did end up with one.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:47 PM

I have a Savage Mk II-FV-SR and I put a Boyds stock on it with a Leupold VX-1 2-7x33.
Excellent shooter but I do not like the Savage mags.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 12-30-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
when they shut down production on these i called wholesale sports and they put a heavy barrel aside for me as i made the trip into town.

i got there and they accidentally sold it while it was on hold, i was so choked i didn't come back for a year

never did end up with one.
I would much rather have another 541S, than a 541T. The S models tend to be more accurate, even with the lighter contour barrel.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I would much rather have another 541S, than a 541T. The S models tend to be more accurate, even with the lighter contour barrel.
good to know i'm always kind of looking
Old 12-30-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You should sell me yours.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
You should sell me yours.
I already sold it . I had way too many rimfires, so my 541S, my 9422, one Cooper, and my CZs went. I kept my Volquartsen, one Cooper and my two Anschutz 22s, and my Cooper in 17mach2.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:41 AM

Default Don't ever pass up on a Rem 40x for accuracy

I have enjoyed reading this post and a lot of good information.
As for on member post order of most accurate Rimfires I would agree with him on available today guns.

Cooper
CZ
Browning A Bolt
Savage, Marlin, Zastav

Couple of years ago I came across a Rem 40x 1956 production 28" barrel, not a CMP model.in very good condition $900 sold irons and scope that came with gun net $400

I put action in a Robertson benchrest stock and bedded it, I did not want to bed original stock as it was quite nice and I think you loose value by messing with a a original gun.
I have shot with shooters using all guns mentioned except for Zastav rifle as well shooters using rem 540,541, Win 52,Walthers, & others
I have not seen any rifle mention shoot better than the 40x some very close. I entered the 1/2 moa challenge on CNG 5 groups of 5 shots average
was .191" smallest .095".
So like Heading,Don't pass on a nice 40x for me the best rimfire ever made.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:17 AM

i happen to have a belgian browning t-bolt in MINT condition i would sell; a nice way to put some class into a collection, lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
i happen to have a belgian browning t-bolt in MINT condition i would sell; a nice way to put some class into a collection, lee
I like the old T-Bolts, its the new ones that aren't very good. Is yours a lefty by any chance, as if it is I am definitely interested.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:32 AM

sorry dean, this one's a righty, lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:44 AM

I think we lost the OP a while back...lol Very subjective question of course, but on the entry-level from a cost POV, a used Cooey 75 or Cooey 39 if you don't mind a much smaller gun.

Another option for single-shots are the well-loved Winchesters. (models 67 and 68 if memory serves) I've never held one...but know guys who own them and say they'll never let them go.

H&R break-barrel/single shots are an option, and usually less than $200 new.

Mag-fed guns

An option for an accurate, affordable used gun...a CIL (made by Anschutz) would be a great choice. I own a mint condition Anschutz 1451 that looks very similar to the CILs, crazy accurate. Magazines are a bit pricey for these (I have 2 x 5rd, 2 x 10rd. and a single-shot adapter)

New~take a look at Savage Mark II rifles, and Marlin XT if you want to be in the $300 or less range.

If you want to use irons only, and have a bit more $ to spend ($450-$550) I'd try to track down a 452 LUX. It has irons, and the stock's geometry is made FOR irons. The Americans & Varmints are shaped for scope use, and don't feature irons as a result. The CZ "Scout" models are very small, so make sure you handle one before committing.

There are others I have no experience with like Zastava..the Winchester Wildcat (re-branded Toz made in Russia) that seem to be very well liked. A rifle I'm considering is the new Ruger American. (about $329 from my local dealer) Ugly synthetic stock, but accuracy reports are good...and the value seems to be there. Most of what I own, most of what I've ever owned are older blued steel/wood-stocked guns...but synthetic stocks suit me fine for guns I'll spend more time using...and less time admiring.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-28-2015, 12:37 PM

Haven't looked back on this thread in a while, kinda surprised it's still active actually. Some really nice info bein shared, thanks guys! Keep it up.

Groundhogger, I think I am going to be keeping an eye out for a 452 Lux.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
I was meaning bolt action or single shot, but that could work too, thanks elk.
Sako !!!
Old 01-28-2015, 09:19 PM

I have an old Mossberg 46b that was totally beat up. It took forever to clean the action and barrel. I sanded the stock and stained with min wax . This thing even had the original 1940's Mossberg 4x scope. Took it to the range the other day and could not believe how well it shot. its a keeper.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
CZ all the way.
I have CZ and zastava, nothing to choose on accuacy, trigger is adjustable on both, bluing is nicer , deeper blue on the Zastava and zastava's are $175 less money, and nicer wood..FSl
Old 01-28-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post
Don't forget about the Ruger 77/22. It's a truly solid gun with nice lines and great accuracy. Plus, it has the advantage of using the Ruger 10/22 magazines of 25 or even greater capacity for those long days of gopher shooting. Comes with scope rings, too. I wouldn't sell mine, and I've owned the CZ.

I also agree the Brno was an excellent piece.
you get 2 Zastava's and a couple bricks of ammo for what a Ruger 77 costs these days. FS