Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-26-2015, 06:11 PM

Brag, you mentioned stumpage fees when building bridge not ending well, can you provide more details.

no, not going to hang the laundry on the internet.

but i will say. folks own the timber rights,just the same as a trapper has the rights to the fur.

you need a permit to get firewood on crown land. you can also get a salvage permit.

if a permit is required. and you say. "screw it, i'll get one if they ask."

you'll be very surprised how much a tree is worth.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:22 AM

Default bridge

Brag, please PM me with details as we are considering serious bridge building this year on our line, do not want any trouble with ESRD. I will keep it confidential and not on internet. Thanks
Old 04-27-2015, 11:46 AM
AO Sponsor

Could somebody please post this bridge policy? I would like to read this in its entirety.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:22 PM

i imagine, like everything. it varies from office to office. as posted above. permits for bridge building is "proposed" as far as i know.

do it right, and contact the people that are in charge of your area. not me! what ever i say isn't going to amount to hill of beans.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Could somebody please post this bridge policy? I would like to read this in its entirety.
There is no bridge policy. It was mentioned that if the new Trapline use / cabin use policy comes into effect there may be a permit required to build a bridge. When I asked the land guy up here in Grande Prairie about it he laughed and said build whatever you want as long as it doesn't prevent a river boat from traveling up the river. I didn't see the need to ask twice.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:50 PM
AO Sponsor

My point was eluding towards definitions. I know what a bridge is, I also know what a couple of logs with some boards nailed to it is... A piece of junk that some people drive machines on, the same thing leaned against a tree would be a ladder, and the same thing in a fire would be bonfire fuel. I could see if you made a real bridge with cement and steel, that a guy might need a permit to build such a thing, perhaps built to a certain code so when logging trucks drive across they don't get all smashed up!

Last edited by Marty S; 04-28-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:58 PM

Default Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
My point was eluding towards definitions. I know what a bridge is, I also know what a couple of logs with some boards nailed to it is... A piece of junk that some people drive machines on, the same thing leaned against a tree would be a ladder, and the same thing in a fire would be bonfire fuel. I could see if you made a real bridge with cement and steel, that a guy might need a permit to build such a thing, perhaps built to a certain code so when logging trucks drive across they don't get all smashed up!

I hope everyone has gotten all over there rant on rules an what ever they want to rant on. I have been waiting on the real stuff like marty posted in the first post, thanks Paul an the guy up north for posting picks. What we are looking for is drive over fence crossings an simple small bog crossings, things to make Kens time on the line more productive than dealing with a stuck quad or can't access an area.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:01 AM
Banned

Default ESRD Letter

Some time ago there was a thread on the letter sent by ESRD to trappers. If you search for it go to post 9 by Torkdiesel. It has the complete letter not the partial one nube posted.

In it it says"

"Other trapline activities that require approval from ESRD Officer that are not limited to but include:
A Installation of watercourse crossings such as culvert, bridge etc.."

Also not the heading from the letter is from the Red Deer North Sask. area.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:47 AM

Default Rules

all the rules are going to be followed so everyone can stop worrying. Ken has contacted F an W and ESRD When ken contacted F an W they said they were in full support.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
all the rules are going to be followed so everyone can stop worrying. Ken has contacted F an W and ESRD When ken contacted F an W they said they were in full support.

Perfect!
Old 04-29-2015, 07:10 AM

hey, when you guys get done. you should come out west and hook up with me. i've got lots of work to do. and need some strong backs.

i'll supply the crab,prawns and beer. bring your rods!
Old 04-29-2015, 08:31 AM
AO Sponsor

Would that be fishing for little itty bitty trout on your Trapline or for them monsters where you are guiding? You know... I do like crab and prawns!
Old 04-29-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I hope everyone has gotten all over there rant on rules an what ever they want to rant on. I have been waiting on the real stuff like marty posted in the first post, thanks Paul an the guy up north for posting picks. What we are looking for is drive over fence crossings an simple small bog crossings, things to make Kens time on the line more productive than dealing with a stuck quad or can't access an area.
Do you have a picture of a drive over fence crossing SW ? Or anybody else for that matter. I've never seen one.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:12 AM

Google image is your freind Tork
Old 04-29-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Google image is your freind Tork
Thanks Pikeslayer
I was more interested in one of the ones a forum member had built.

But I have heard of the Google on the line so I will have a look there too
Old 04-29-2015, 08:31 PM

Default Good luck

To everyone who has posted to help Ken out there is a bigger help for him. I am not a religious guy but, his wife of manny years is having a huge battle with cancer an I think the AO crowd could say a prayer for her. Lil I hope you beat the **** out of the nasty stuff. I know your taking the treatment as hard as you can. I am going to talk to the big guy upstairs.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
To everyone who has posted to help Ken out there is a bigger help for him. I am not a religious guy but, his wife of manny years is having a huge battle with cancer an I think the AO crowd could say a prayer for her. Lil I hope you beat the **** out of the nasty stuff. I know your taking the treatment as hard as you can. I am going to talk to the big guy upstairs.
Our family will be thinking of theirs
Old 04-30-2015, 06:21 AM
Banned

Prayers from our family to yours Ken.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:17 AM
AO Sponsor

Ken is hoping for a few of these in some way shape or form, this one's kinda low, it's pulling the wire down. My questions... does it have to have the flat area on top so as to prevent a machine from high centering? Next question, how practical would it be to make from logs?

I would imagine that with all the trees in the country the cattle are going to have much better things to scratch themselves on than a contraption on the fence, or will they still rub the thing to death?
Old 05-01-2015, 06:09 PM

Thanks Marty. I actually had something different in my head.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:20 PM

I built a couple out of logs out in the gap, they were pretty labor intensive but they seemed to work ok. The ranch/feedlot south of Kens line has a bunch made from rough cut lumber that seem to function well.