Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2016, 09:15 AM

Lyallpeder, looks like you've thought this out really well. Let us know how you do! I know my boys will appreciate the first-hand info.

My mother had animals in her yard, while she was growing up (rabbits, chickens, goats...) which was located right in town. My dad did as well, although they had fields outside of town as well. Seemed to work well, especially during tough times. In their culture and time it was more of a way of life.

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 09-22-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:57 AM

About $125 excluding the cost of the coop and run. That isn't too bad. Dealing with the city is still the big negative here. How did the process go for you lyallpeder? I wonder if those posting know that roosters aren't actually allowed? Laying hens aren't very noisy. I can see the concern about the threat of disease and what not, however, I think the huge flocks of pigeons, and seagulls in the city are probably greater concerns.

How hard is it to replace birds. Say you want to lower your brood to 3 birds for the winter and get another 5 come spring. How many hoops would one have to jump through to do this?
Old 09-22-2016, 11:31 AM

We have a few hens on the "urban farm" that are solely used for organic egg production. Red Deer allows a max of four hens,no roosters and you would have to peek over the fence to know they were there. The other byproduct is a highly valued,organic fertilizer that is used on the garden. We had mice from the adjacent property before we had hens and a trapping program has keep them in check,also feeds the magpies. The hens turnover their run daily and create a compost without any odor.

There is lots of info out there and some folks even offer courses for the urban inept.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:54 AM

After having 16 birds at my acreage since the spring the only negative I have seen with chickens is they eat all the grass in their run. Coops attracting mice? Chickens kill mice better than cats and it's hilarious to watch (like a rugby match). The city won't allow roosters and neighbors won't know they are there. The benefits are great and I think it would be a good move for edmonton.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
I really get a laugh out of all the opposition to having laying hens in the city, the same goes for bee hives. What difference does it make? Who does it effect other than the owner that has to feed them? They make no noise and unless somebody peeks through the fence the neighbors won't even know they are there. In fact peeking through the fence would probably be a good thing for a lot of today's kids; you know the ones that get driven to school in moms SUV and then sit around all afternoon in front of a computer screen?? I'd much rather have them next door than the two barking dogs and whining kids that my neighbor currently has.........at least you can eat the hens when you've finally had enough
I find it funny how so many people from the firearm community say that as long as you are following the laws than whatever floats your boat. But chickens? The city will turn into a third world country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Lyallpeder, looks like you've thought this out really well. Let us know how you do! I know my boys will appreciate the first-hand info.

My mother had animals in her yard, while she was growing up (rabbits, chickens, goats...) which was located right in town. My dad did as well, although they had fields outside of town as well. Seemed to work well, especially during tough times. In their culture and time it was more of a way of life.
I am rather excited but at a stand still until the city offers the chicken 101 class after it finishes the pilot project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
About $125 excluding the cost of the coop and run. That isn't too bad. Dealing with the city is still the big negative here. How did the process go for you lyallpeder? I wonder if those posting know that roosters aren't actually allowed? Laying hens aren't very noisy. I can see the concern about the threat of disease and what not, however, I think the huge flocks of pigeons, and seagulls in the city are probably greater concerns.

How hard is it to replace birds. Say you want to lower your brood to 3 birds for the winter and get another 5 come spring. How many hoops would one have to jump through to do this?
No rosters allowed? Stop with your inconvenient facts! My understanding is if approved the chickens will be banded and registered, any new ones as well. I believe any you want to remove, the city recommends you take them to a vet to be euthanized or a slaughter house. (I hope taking them to a farm in the country is an option)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaha Tinda View Post
We have a few hens on the "urban farm" that are solely used for organic egg production. Red Deer allows a max of four hens,no roosters and you would have to peek over the fence to know they were there. The other byproduct is a highly valued,organic fertilizer that is used on the garden. We had mice from the adjacent property before we had hens and a trapping program has keep them in check,also feeds the magpies. The hens turnover their run daily and create a compost without any odor.

There is lots of info out there and some folks even offer courses for the urban inept.
A mandatory class too.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:08 AM

I say go for it.

Wish I could have some, but with my schedule, hubby already has to look after the dog.

A small flock of hens is not going to disrupt anyone's day any more than barking dogs or playing children. It's also not a money thing. It's a self sufficiency, knowing-where-your-food-comes-from thing. Smell? Please. It's a small coop, not 100+.

Kudos to those that are able to do it.

NRA/NFA Supporter and "...gun toting tea party psychotard..." -
Old 02-24-2019, 01:14 PM

Didn't want to start a new thread.

Was at the new Peavy Mart that opened in Edmonton (St. Albert Trail and Yellowhead Trail) where Wholesale sports used to be. And one of the salespeople there was talking about how you are allowed to have 5 hens in the backyard if you have a proper place setup for them and that is in both Edmonton and St. Albert.

He sounded pretty convinced that it is allowed but searching around the City website there is no mention other than the program that is already in place with a huge waiting list.

They will be bringing in a hen sale in April on the weekends where you do not need to buy a pack of 25 but instead you can buy smaller quantities.

Anyone has heard anything about that?

My wife got really excited and wanted to start planning the coop, we have tons of space and live on the edge of the city.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom4 View Post
I would much rather listen to a rooster than my neighbours dog barking at its own shadow
x2
Old 02-24-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masalma View Post
Didn't want to start a new thread.

Was at the new Peavy Mart that opened in Edmonton (St. Albert Trail and Yellowhead Trail) where Wholesale sports used to be. And one of the salespeople there was talking about how you are allowed to have 5 hens in the backyard if you have a proper place setup for them and that is in both Edmonton and St. Albert.

He sounded pretty convinced that it is allowed but searching around the City website there is no mention other than the program that is already in place with a huge waiting list.

They will be bringing in a hen sale in April on the weekends where you do not need to buy a pack of 25 but instead you can buy smaller quantities.

Anyone has heard anything about that?

My wife got really excited and wanted to start planning the coop, we have tons of space and live on the edge of the city.
How well do you know your neighbors? Buy the two closest ones a beer & see if they're on board. Good luck!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-25-2019, 08:41 AM

Default scratching

Some personal experience with hens:

Had a good friend in Vancouver who had chickens - "rescue" chickens formerly of factory farms. This was on W. Dunbar St., about four years ago, so modern times in a very urban and mega-$$$ area. Visited her several times, can't say I heard any chicken noise. Kids and mothers passing by loved visiting the chickens.

But "scratching" was the best part. Chickens love to scratch the soil, searching for bugs. As a previous poster mentioned, they do quickly kill all the grass in their coop, because of all the scratching. Which is why many urban owners have coops they can drag over to a new patch of grass.

Me, while I agree chickens are not the smartest tools in the shed, I did notice the chickens put two and two together when they saw me watering the flower beds. What they wanted, I gradually realized (now it was ME being a little slow on the uptake LOL) was for me to spray the soil in their run with water. Once I did, man did they start scratching at the ground like fury. They loved the wet soil, now that it was easier to tear up. Every day they would watch me and cluck quietly, hoping I would turn on the hose again. It was actually quite fun to watch. There you go, men, when the wife has chickens, you have new fun with the water hose!

BTW the fresh eggs were very good too.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:34 PM

Default Hens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumtan View Post
I applaud the idea, but rather they dont live next door to me. I respect the ability to eat bugs and lay eggs but value my weekend sleep-ins.
Relax Cityboy, they are hens not roosters. I'd bet you wouldn't even know if your next door neighbor had some.