Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-29-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeNomad View Post
I was checking these protector's out at Costco this weekend. The show model looked rather beat up. Is the door handle secure on these safes normally? The one at Costco seemed about ready to fall off, but it was probably jimmied by every other person that walked through the store.
The 3 three "knobs" on the main wheel are just threaded in and there is no nice way to tighten them (unless you want to use a pipe wrench or vise grips and make a total mess of the chrome). Could this have been the issue with the one you saw? This issue has absolutely no impact on the security of the safe.

Locktite would work, just haven't got around to it yet. Aside from that, my safe is rock solid.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecngsr View Post
I managed 12 rifles, only 2 with out glass on them, its like tetris

Vt
If you need to put more items in your safe, you should take the bolts out then stagger them barrel up and barrel down. FS
Old 01-29-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass23 View Post
The key actually opens the safe. It's a backup in the event the electronics fail or the batteries die. If your friend isn't your friend, all you have to do it change the code.
True enough but there may be other reasons. I know I had forty fits with the ones that didn't work when I was working at Bass Pro. People would phone me because their keypad broke on a 5 year old safe asking how to get into them. It was a royal pain.

The key idea is a good one.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
For the price the Costco one is the best one I have seen for 350
Got one on sale for $270. For that price it's been good and I like the peace of mind the guns are both safe and protected. Great for storing other personal documents as well.

If you can't wait, $350 is still a fair price.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:32 PM

I was drooling on those Costco safes too when I saw them.
The price is more than good considering the features.
And when it's full, you can get another one and have 2 safes for less $$$ than an average safe at the famous sports and hunting outlets.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:02 PM

Which Edmonton Costcos have the safes in stock as I am in the market for a safe and am from out of town.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:25 PM

Costco, Clareview area, 13650 50 St Edmonton.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:49 PM

I just bought a stakon gun cabinette. Advertised as ten. Can only hold eight. But its still good. And cheap.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:49 PM

Canadian tire
Old 01-30-2014, 04:17 PM

I have a few of the cheaper cabinets from CDN Tire but wish to have one with some fire protection for a couple of my better rifles and possibly some important papers. Thanks for the info on the Costco safes.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:36 PM

Agro in St Paul carries them $500 up to $6000 these are marketed under the John Deer logo.
I c u r in Lloyd. There is an Agro dealership there
Old 01-31-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass23 View Post
The 3 three "knobs" on the main wheel are just threaded in and there is no nice way to tighten them (unless you want to use a pipe wrench or vise grips and make a total mess of the chrome). Could this have been the issue with the one you saw? This issue has absolutely no impact on the security of the safe.

Locktite would work, just haven't got around to it yet. Aside from that, my safe is rock solid.
Okay the issue with the one I saw was the main shaft that goes through the door. That shaft was wobbling around 1/8" in all directions. By main shaft I mean the one the three "knobs" thread into.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:48 PM

I broke down and bought one today. I am glad I did. These safes are actually very nice. Not filsmy and loose like the floor model at all. If anyone is wondering there are 6 more in Sherwood Park Costco. I am almost tempted to pick up a second one - since you know guns tend to reproduce when left alone in a safe.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeNomad View Post
I broke down and bought one today. I am glad I did. These safes are actually very nice. Not filsmy and loose like the floor model at all. If anyone is wondering there are 6 more in Sherwood Park Costco. I am almost tempted to pick up a second one - since you know guns tend to reproduce when left alone in a safe.
I bought one too, they are a good bang for the buck but I already have to re-glue some of the carpet on the shelf.

I can fit 8 rifles in it, a bunch of knives, a pair of binos and a rangefinder in there, pretty tight though. I think six rifles is "comfortable" for these safes, you wouldn't have to worry so much about the bolt scratching another rifle while you're moving guns around
Old 02-03-2014, 07:52 AM

I'm curious what people did with that little lockable steel box thats shipped with the safe. I assume its intemded for ammo but its way to small. Mine just sits empty taking up space.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLantz View Post
I'm curious what people did with that little lockable steel box thats shipped with the safe. I assume its intemded for ammo but its way to small. Mine just sits empty taking up space.
Mine sits empty on top of the safe.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:26 PM

Default Where are they in stock

Probably gonna pick one of these Costco jobs up on my next excursion to Edmonton hopefully in the next few weeks. Can anyone give me an idea as to which stores tend to keep them stocked consistently? The new St. Albert location is most convenient for me but I can go wherever. I just don't want to drive all over Edmonton looking if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-03-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot100mph View Post
Probably gonna pick one of these Costco jobs up on my next excursion to Edmonton hopefully in the next few weeks. Can anyone give me an idea as to which stores tend to keep them stocked consistently? The new St. Albert location is most convenient for me but I can go wherever. I just don't want to drive all over Edmonton looking if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance
i always see them in very costco ive been to in and around edmonton. just call them first and ask if they have stock, they will tell you if they have stock over the phone but they will not tell you any pricing over the phone.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:25 PM

Just bought one of these Costco jobs also. Thought I was the only one who took more than 1/2 hr to figure out how to open it the first time with the key, but apparently not! Nice cabinet. My daughter says always divide the advertised number of guns by 2 to get the real capacity. Not worried about the electronic keypad, have had one on my house for 8+ years, no issues. Not all things made in China are cheap. Seems like a good sturdy cabinet, handle and parts etc are smooth and tight. I would recommend this.

BTW in order to get 7 guns in it they must not be in padded cases. otherwise you're looking at 5 -6.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianb View Post
FYI Canadian tire has the 36 gun Stack On safes on for 40% off right now.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/st...-0757199p.html
A little more money but I like the size. Not sure what others do but I put a lot of other things in mine besides guns. Kind of like a garage. Never big enough. The other thing is no one is likely to carry this away.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLantz View Post
Perfect place to put your will, passports, or any other important docs. (Just make sure your executor knows the code or has a key)
Old 02-04-2014, 09:51 PM

Just picked up a First Alert Protector from Costco the other day for $350. Haha it also took me a while to figure out the keyed lock. Then I noticed that each key (4 sided- with each side having a unique cut pattern) has a notch on one side- this must point up (Towards a small red dot on the lock) for it to work properly. Like butter after that

Nice safe, even the sale prices at Crappy Tire can't compare. Also, the external hinges on that expensive Stack On are a little strange?

First Alert has the 7.7 cubic ft. Protector "on sale" for $699.99 (From $799.99) on their website
Old 02-05-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty454 View Post
JHaha it also took me a while to figure out the keyed lock. Then I noticed that each key (4 sided- with each side having a unique cut pattern) has a notch on one side- this must point up (Towards a small red dot on the lock) for it to work properly. Like butter after that
That's what was wrong!!
Well at least now I know. Better than trial and error.