Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-07-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that called poaching ?
Not if you have the correct status, it isn't.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The status hunters still need permission to hunt there which would qualify it for fair chase in my opinion.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
True, but would it qualify under B & C ? Just asking because I do not know.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ In response to post #28
Elk were more or less wiped out in the province at the turn of the last century except for a few small scattered populations.

I'm willing to say the vast majority of elk in the province came from reintroduced animals.

You are not really making a factual argument/statement in regards to reintroduced animals.

Actually, most of the present day Alberta elk are descended from animals transplanted here from Yellowstone in the early 1930 s.

Grizz
Old 12-07-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
True, but would it qualify under B & C ? Just asking because I do not know.
SUBSISTENCE LICENSES
In general, trophies taken with a subsistence license/permit are acceptable for entry in the Awards Programs and listing in the Club’s records books so long as they meet all the Club’s entry requirements, including all aspects of fair chase.

LC
Old 12-07-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
SUBSISTENCE LICENSES
In general, trophies taken with a subsistence license/permit are acceptable for entry in the Awards Programs and listing in the Club’s records books so long as they meet all the Club’s entry requirements, including all aspects of fair chase.

LC
Nice research lefty, and b&c has already recognized many bulls from the Suffield herd taken outside the base so let's let this dog die.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that called poaching ?

In some peoples worlds yes.
Quote:
^^^^^ oh baby...this!
Old 12-07-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
SUBSISTENCE LICENSES

LC
What are "all of the entry requirements"?

Fair chase is an not an issue here.

Can Treaty harvested game outside of a legislated big game season qualify to be entered in to B&C?

There is no legislated Antlered Elk season for Suffield.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

Can Treaty harvested game outside of a legislated big game season qualify to be entered in to B&C?

Not sure....pulled that from the B&C website....feel free to have a peek.

LC
Old 12-07-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:

I was told not eligible . Must be taken in a regular season , may be wrong but that;s only fair to me .
Old 12-07-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
I was told not eligible . Must be taken in a regular season , may be wrong but that;s only fair to me .
I don't know either, but I am under the same impression that the animal must be taken during a legislated open season.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:11 PM

Great question, just emailed it to b&c and we shall see.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:

If they are allowed to take the game under a subsistence permit or license...(is there such a thing?), then maybe it is admissible? I don't know....

...it says it must meet ALL the requirements so if there is not an actual season then likely that trumps the possibility to enter.

LC
Old 12-07-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
If they are allowed to take the game under a subsistence permit or license...(is there such a thing?), then maybe it is admissible? I don't know....

...it says it must meet ALL the requirements so if there is not an actual season then likely that trumps the possibility to enter.

LC
Hope it would be that way . I don't think that taking a 170" whitetail or 375" elk is really subsistence hunting , but maybe that's just me .
Old 12-07-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:

LC
Treaty status people do not require a permit or licence for most of their hunting rights, definitely not for elk in Alberta.

Non-Treaty people can get subsistence licences in Alberta....

I don't know the answer to the big question either.

But I'm sure someone in this thread is concerned about the possibility that an Indian might kill the next official World Record Elk....
Old 12-07-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Treaty status people do not require a permit or licence for most of their hunting rights, definitely not for elk in Alberta.

Non-Treaty people can get subsistence licences in Alberta....

I don't know the answer to the big question either.

But I'm sure someone in this thread is concerned about the possibility that an Indian might kill the next official World Record Elk....
How does it work in Suffield? Are the First Nations folks required to purchase a license? Or obtain a permit or letter before they are admitted to hunt in the base? How many do they allow and how are the hunters selected?

Lots of questions...

LC
Old 12-07-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacty View Post
You win guys, these are wily old Elk that have never seen a human,vehicle or DRILLING RIG within 30 yards of them or their calves. They are not habituated at all. You have proven me wrong guys, like I said what would I know, what with the limited time Ive spent around the animals out here. Very armoured retorts there fellas, everyone is entitled to an opinion. Take care.
Don't back down, your point is valid. This herd has habituated itself to the safety of the base, this is a transplanted micro managed elk herd. No different than the elk living on the Banff springs golf club, yes technically they are wild and can come and go as they please but the simple fact is THEY don't! and that is the reason for the cull each of the past two years.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignixs View Post
However many of them do leave the base, and go into surrounding areas, they have found tagged Suffield elk many WMU away from the base.

I hunt at a guys place who has 3 sections of land their white tail on their that never leave his land. Does that mean their not wild?

The sure size of the base is massive, its not a couple quarter sections with 10 foot fences.
how often have you been there?

heres a better question........with a join date of nearly 2 years ago.....then zero posts until last week.....and now near 400 in that week......it begs the question.....who are you really? how many other names have you had and been banned? I actually thought I saw this one banned for a second a few days ago. hmmm....so many questions.....
Old 12-07-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
As for this, let me ask you what's your problem? I'd answer you questions but why bother clearly you got some issues you are working through good luck with that.
You don't think that's a legit question?

....if you have nothing to hide then why not share who you other names are?

LC
Old 12-07-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
lol, I do not got any other names not sure who you guy think I am but I for sure got nothing to hide.

My user name and location would let anyone know exactly who I am who in anyway is familiar with me, though not sure why that matters.
2 years is a long time to wait before making a single post....

....historically, that usually means it isn't your first time here

LC
Old 12-07-2013, 10:23 PM

I hear ya Bambi, it's pretty sad when a guy is banned multiple times and continues to use several accounts.

Say it with me Bro, "Looooser, looooser...."

Not talking about bignixs.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I don't know either, but I am under the same impression that the animal must be taken during a legislated open season.
Pretty sure it must be taken during a valid season with a valid tag.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
I hear ya Bambi, it's pretty sad when a guy is banned multiple times and continues to use several accounts.

Say it with me Bro, "Looooser, looooser...."

Not talking about bignixs.
not nix....so must be that fella you pretended to be friends with to get a deal or two then?

Quote:
Yes well I got my reason for not posting for 2 years, anyone who knows me will know why though I have been on the site lots in that 2 years, that situation has finally ended and I can participate. Maybe I will tell you about it some time.
no nix...you are exactly who I thought you were. that confirms 3 usernames that I know of. I don't have access to the IT intel on this site, but I bet those that do could prove it no sweat. whichever. you do have a real reason to want to start over. that doesn't excuse the multiple accounts, and what you have done with them here in the past.....but carry on.

dale
Old 12-07-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Who do you think I am???
The girl hanging out at the end of the bar?

I have no idea bignixs. As I said, I wasn't talking about you.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12DLT View Post

Great question, just emailed it to b&c and we shall see.
Please post your findings on weather or not they qualify. I know it should be eligible off the base because it is a official big game season for Antlered Elk. On the base I'm not so sure. On my original post I guess I MAY have been trying to find a loophole to keep those elk out of the records that were taken from within, if saying it wasn't fair chase sticks then good. I just feel if all citizens don't have the ability to go in there and hunt for a bull then in my eyes it shouldn't count, until there is a applicable season for Antlered of course.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:51 AM

I may have ***** footage recorded around 15 hours ago that shows a fairly sedate and comfortable herd of ungulates numbering around 2000. I cant remember what Province or State I was in though.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRange View Post
The reason I was wondering was because unlike Banff or Jasper or northern Alberta the elk at Suffield were introduced after they pulled the horses out of there. They weren't a herd that just migrated and settled or were there all along. They brought them there to maintain the range after the horses were removed, so to me I felt it was more of a "game farm" for lack of a better word. They had the fences higher and then the government told them to drop the top wire to allow them to spread easier. And since there is no real "season" because it is herd reduction targeting cows, how could it be a fair chase if someone went in and shot one bull when there isn't an eligible season for the sex and species type in that WMU AND the elk were introduced?
Look at the sheep we have given to states south of the border. They're all in the book and happy for it. It's a new hunt, the elk will get smart.

We hunted off the base this year and let me tell you, the elk see you and move. They are getting it figured out... With the hunters on the base now too, those elk will learn pretty quick what's up. They are likely the smartest of all ungulates IMO.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:16 AM

It may be fair chase according to the B&C criteria, it just isn't fair to the Alberta resident hunters, to allow some people to kill bulls, based solely on their race. Then again ,this is Canada, and all Canadians, will never be equal under the law.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
It may be fair chase according to the B&C criteria, it just isn't fair to the Alberta resident hunters, to allow some people to kill bulls, based solely on their race. Then again ,this is Canada, and all Canadians, will never be equal under the law.
EVEN IF we didn`t allow some people to kill bulls because of race and if we still had Indians living in their country, things WOULD NEVER BE EQUAL FOR ALL, after all this is Canada.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
EVEN IF we didn`t allow some people to kill bulls because of race and if we still had Indians living in their country, things WOULD NEVER BE EQUAL FOR ALL, after all this is Canada.
Exactly, every time one race or another is given concessions over other races, the racism in Canada increases.

Allowing one race to shoot bulls on the base, is just one more way, to contribute to this racism.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 12-08-2013 at 08:40 AM.