Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-01-2011, 01:26 PM

" If you are dedicated when you secure a tag the current system is a good thing. It took you less time to draw because there are more tags in the pool because of the lower harvest rate! "

x2

and if more amateurs jam out early because they're too busy to devote the time or because it's 'too windy/snowy/steep', the the 'serious' hunters have the mountains (and the rams) all to themselves.

I don't see the problem.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:01 PM

Charge full price of the tag and if you aren't drawn it's refunded, if you are drawn you pick up your tag. If you don't pick it up more $ for management.

Lots of states do it.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Banned

Do like stated in many posts refund money if you don't draw. Also these are once in a life time tag other than 209x50. Charge $250 for the tag. I bet only serious people apply. I agree with many that these tags that get wasted are a joke. Also if you do not intend or buy your tag by a certain time on to the next in line.

I don't want to take away from anybody but as Drake stated people just apply for any and everything before they really think about it before they do draw a tag like this. So it goes to waist.

Last edited by Justin.C; 12-01-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntnut View Post
I think it should only apply to those hard to get tags re:"once in a lifetime tag". I put in and got my mule doe tag for 358 but had no intention of buying it as imho there shouldn't be a mule doe season-(deer have been wiped out by wolves and tough winters). I put in for the draw to take a tag out of circulation. Should I have to pay for that tag because srd has it's head up you know where?

Yes you should have to pay. If all the members of PETA decide to start putting there names in on draws to take tags out of circulation, they should have to pay as well.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
Yes you should have to pay. If all the members of PETA decide to start putting there names in on draws to take tags out of circulation, they should have to pay as well.
PETA has donations totaling in the millions of dollars. Do you really think that having to pay for a $30 tag will stop them???
Old 12-01-2011, 04:53 PM

Actually, I was just answering your question. I am sure PETA already does this type of thing and costs do not bother them. But they , and you, should still have pay for the draws.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I think the $3 charge for the draw is fine but I think if you draw you should have to pay for the tag, regardless of what draw it is...to many people put in for every tag and then pick and choose which ones to buy. This goes for doe tags and cow elk tags too...
The tag price should automatically be charged to your credit card, if you are drawn. With $50 or so on the line, many people that aren't serious won't apply.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Actually, I was just answering your question. I am sure PETA already does this type of thing and costs do not bother them. But they , and you, should still have pay for the draws.
If I felt strong enough about it, it still wouldn't stop me from applying for the tag under the circumstances I described.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:24 PM

I get that. I just agree with the idea of paying for drawn tags. I think getting drawn and not using the tag to increase populations is a bit of a flawed idea. Maybe short term it might help, but long term and/or in high volume, it may create a general season where once a draw was required. To each there own.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The tag price should automatically be charged to your credit card, if you are drawn. With $50 or so on the line, many people that aren't serious won't apply.
What if you 999? I agree, pay the four bucks to enter the draw, and they bill your CC when you are drawn. Within twoto four weeks, you can return the tag for the next guy, get a refund on the tag cost, but your four bucks stays in the "conservation" pot. My 0.02 FWIW.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I think getting drawn and not using the tag to increase populations is a bit of a flawed idea. To each there own.
I know that-just my way of standing up for what I think is right.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Banned

i really think the application fee should be increased some....like say 50 bucks, with the majority of it going directly to conservation projects. its funny how many wives/daughters/nephews/cats/dogs have a win number in those draws that have never held a hunting license before. for that matter, some of them have been pictured in this very forum. and not just sheep. how many first time hunters used a high priority to shoot an animal....but havent hunted for years before or after. or the guys that hauled a mountain goat out of the wilmore at 2 am on a wife tag. id love to see the records of some wives who have held some tags. if everyone told the truth, i bet 95%of hunters on this forum know someone who has done it. with an application fee increase for the primo tags, im sure it would cut it down.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
i really think the application fee should be increased some....like say 50 bucks, with the majority of it going directly to conservation projects. its funny how many wives/daughters/nephews/cats/dogs have a win number in those draws that have never held a hunting license before. for that matter, some of them have been pictured in this very forum. and not just sheep. how many first time hunters used a high priority to shoot an animal....but havent hunted for years before or after. or the guys that hauled a mountain goat out of the wilmore at 2 am on a wife tag. id love to see the records of some wives who have held some tags. if everyone told the truth, i bet 95%of hunters on this forum know someone who has done it. with an application fee increase for the primo tags, im sure it would cut it down.

I don't see the problem with people who dont regularly hunt pulling a big tag. My wife shoots a whitetail every year but that might only be 2 days of hunting I f she's lucky. With kids it's very hard to find a babysitter who can watch for the tIme needed, but you better believe she puts in for elk , antelope, mule deer, but not sheep cause that's too cold. When she draws a tag there will be a definite attempt to fill it but until then she shoots the gun once a year.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
can this problem be solved or helped another way?

possibly by making the draw application itself at least the cost of a regular tag?
That would eliminate people with less money not those that are not fit.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sheep Reaper View Post
I think the $3 charge for the draw is fine but I think if you draw you should have to pay for the tag, regardless of what draw it is...to many people put in for every tag and then pick and choose which ones to buy. This goes for doe tags and cow elk tags too...

if you want to apply be prepared to buy!!!
That makes more sense than just increasing draw costs.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
I was wondering how many guys might put in for sheep... with no intention of buying a tag... just to get a tag out of circulation... to help the population...
Old 12-01-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
I was wondering how many guys might put in for sheep... with no intention of buying a tag... just to get a tag out of circulation... to help the population...
Anti's\PETA types do it all the time......pretty much anyone can put in for a draw and never have to buy it (all you need is a course and a WIN, some people just lie on the WIN application and thats that)....and it isn't just sheep they dilute the draws on.

LC
Old 12-01-2011, 06:28 PM

Those trophy tags need to command more money. The goat tag should AT LEAST be $500 and if not bought at time of drawing (48 hrs) it is drawn again. Trophy Mule Deer, Elk, Sheep, Pronghorn, and Moose need to be at least $250 with the same draw forfeit to apply. Non trophy tags are $5.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-01-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Those trophy tags need to command more money. The goat tag should AT LEAST be $500 and if not bought at time of drawing (48 hrs) it is drawn again. Trophy Mule Deer, Elk, Sheep, Pronghorn, and Moose need to be at least $250 with the same draw forfeit to apply. Non trophy tags are $5.
Charging a resident more money for an "antlered" tag is absurd.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:37 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Anti's\PETA types do it all the time......LC
Seriously? I'd like to see some evidence to support that.
Gone Hunting

Jeez with those prices Chuck a guy may as well start doing guided hunts in other places for our regularily encountered species. Its near that point anyways as there is about as much for game anymore as there is game management LOL. I wouldnt disagree with you, so long as one was more than confident that the cash proceeds went to fish and wildlife. Yes, I would pony up those amounts if convinced of something good coming out of it, and I dont have alot of money!!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
x2......
Old 12-01-2011, 06:38 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by decker View Post
And while were at it lets make all sheep hunting area's limited access.
Limited to what...
Old 12-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sorry but mule deer elk and pronghorn tags I don't think so. Maybe $50. I think $5 for a doe tag is way to low. With out female animaL we don't have our trophies. I agree with the time frame though
Old 12-01-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Hardly. Resident hunters need to take control of the game in this Province before it's too late. Part of that is weeding out the non committed.

While we are at it lets make non resident tags of any size shape or form go the way of the dodo bird.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-01-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Chuck, you do realize that the 'fees' we pay for these tags are really nothing more than another tax, don't you? I think this is the first time I've ever heard anyone ask for, or suggest, that our taxes be raised, and raised by a very significant amount. Personally I think we already pay enough tax in this country. Bad idea chuck, very bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Seriously? I'd like to see some evidence to support that.
You just have to take my word for it as I have no "tangible" proof but a girl I went to college with told me flat out she competed every year in draws just so one less hunter would have a chance......I don't think it is rampant but I know for fact it happens....its not illegal....and to them messing us up gives them much joy. She could have been lying to me but she wasn't the type to bluff.

LC
Banned

Quote:
Ya but we should change non resident charges tothe price that outfitters get payed. Then let outfitter try and make ther 8g a week.Or like chuck says. Just get rid of them.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:52 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You just have to take my word for it LC
No, actually I don't....

Another urban myth as far as I'm concerned. There might have been a bit of it with the grizz draw but I think it's pretty much anti paranoia...good article in this month's AO about that exact subject

Quote:
I don't think it is rampant
So doing it all the time isn't rampant
Old 12-01-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
No, actually I don't....

You are right but.......

Another urban myth as far as I'm concerned. There might have been a bit of it with the grizz draw but I think it's pretty much anti paranoia...good article in this month's AO about that exact subject

This myth is true in this case, I have first hand experience

So doing it all the time isn't rampant

By rampant I mean I don't think a tonnes of anti's do this but it DOES happen
Seriously though I hope the Anti's don't catch on to this.....the $30-40 dollars they could each spend in a year come draw time is nothing compared to the issues and problem they could cause with the draw system.

LC