Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vingiu View Post
x2… I don't envy the Americans at all

Make it harder to get a PAL in this country, then I might support an open carry petition
Would you prefer a blood and urine sample be sent in with the application to?

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 12-21-2013, 03:34 PM

carry for hunting why? bear attack? I guarantee most in that situation wont hit crap. I shoot a lot and I see a lot of guys shoot. relaxed and calm most cant hit an 8" target at 20 yards.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Wow, how big are the varmints on your farm?
LOL. they vary in range from gophers to badgers and skunks....20 pounds i guess. meh ive only shot one of each(later two) at the farm ,only got the skunk cause little guy was going into the garage stealing dog food,kinda regret it actually was a cute little thing.

then theres the pop can and balloon varmints and the ones that say SMACK when you hit em,i mean steel.

be nice to shoot them on private property is all/somewhere safe
Old 12-21-2013, 03:36 PM

Don't miss the point. Nothing do with protection (bears and such),,, more to do with using a handgun for hunting game.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
Would you prefer a blood and urine sample be sent in with the application to?
No, I wouldn't. I think that since we already have testing procedures in place, they might as well make them a bit more difficult -- it might help weed out all the dummies who have no business owning a handgun. The testing we have now is a joke.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait View Post
carry for hunting why? bear attack? I guarantee most in that situation wont hit crap. I shoot a lot and I see a lot of guys shoot. relaxed and calm most cant hit an 8" target at 20 yards.
yeah thats true/know what cha mean. i would still like to be allowed the choice though.

Last edited by wolf308; 12-21-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Banned

This should have been posted in the beginning:

We, the people, call on the Prime Minister of Canada, Stephen Harper, & the Premier of Alberta, Alison Redford, to allow licensed & certified, law abiding citizens open carry permits for the use of self defence in the Province of Alberta.

This will allow law abiding citizens 18 years of age & older, who have passed a safety background check, as well as a federally approved safety course, the right to openly bear arms.

This petition is very specifically about open carry for self defense.

Best of luck.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENGUN View Post
During hunting I could understand. But either way it won't happen. As per the American model, we clearly have better safety figures and it is, at least to some degree, because of the rules we have in place. Protection from people? I think there would be a lot of vigilantes and more problems.

As for the being able to kill with a rifle from really far. How many thugs are getting out and practising their shot? How will they get to the best vantage point and account for variables? With a hundgun they just conceal it and walk up - BOOM - and run. The bad guys are already carrying them and we don;t know. And now everyone around that just witnessed the situation pulls out (they're now legal as per the hypothetical) their gun and starts firing as well. More innocents hurt, more choas... the list goes on.
How many of these thugs you speak of have PAL/RPALs? How many purchased and registered their firearms legally? How many have STATTs/LTATTs that cover downtown Bigcity? If the ****rats are already packing why shouldn't the average trained and licensed citizen be on a level playing field?

Carry is legal In the majority of the US. Could you point out a few instances where witnesses all started blazing away and injured a bunch of innocents? I'd like some actual examples of your fearmongering Please.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-21-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait View Post
It's like when you go to work and need a pair of pliers. You keep them in the toolbox for when the need arises. Same thing with a handgun, if the need arises at least you have the tool. Any tool is better than nothing in the case of a bear attack. I'm old enough to decide for myself what tools I'll take into the bush. I don't need nervous nelly deciding for me.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Banned

I just wish more responsibility was given back.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Americans lol.
Yes I have to laugh too, when I think that a bunch of revolutionaries, defeated a professional army,fielded by the British, one of the most powerful empires in the world at the time, and then those revolutionaries formed the most powerful country in the world. The British certainly weren't laughing though.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
Oh man, some of you guys make me shake my head. No one has a problem with people carrying a gun during hunting season but God forbid you carry a pistol on your hip.

I've lived in Canada and the US and let me tell you, an armed society is a polite society. The people down here have more respect for each other than in Canada. As I type this I've got a Springfield XDM on my hip. Do I carry because I'm scared? No, I carry because I can, and I'll protect myself, my family and my property at any cost. I'm the same person armed or unarmed in Canada or the US. Violence against people has little to do with guns and more to do with people not respecting each other.
I'm not opposed 100% to it, but at the same time, becoming a society with so many problems such as the U.S. and not just trying to fix the problems we have ourselves first doesn't seem right to me. Just my own opinion.... Don't want to offend anyone..

By saying that Americans have more respect for one another then Canadians do because your allowed to carry a gun on your hip and then saying that "Violence against people has little to do with guns and more to do with people not respecting each other" Doesn't that kind of contradict itself? Especially when looking at the Statistics every time they come out?

Last edited by Pikes"R"us; 12-21-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikes"R"us View Post
I'm not opposed 100% to it, but at the same time become a society with so many problems such as the U.S. and not just trying to fix the problems we have ourselves first doesn't seem right.

By saying that Americans have more respect for one another then Canadians do because your allowed to carry a gun on your hip and then saying that "Violence against people has little to do with guns and more to do with people not respecting each other" Doesn't kind of contradict itself?
Don't tread on me bro.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Thanks Red frog.I just signed petition.We got 518 people who sighned already.
Marry Christmas everybody!
Old 12-21-2013, 04:17 PM

521 now.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Hunting with a .45LColt / .410 same barrelled handgun would be fun. I also hear what RFrog is saying by starting "high" with the petition and settle for carry during hunting.
yeah exactly ...

a 300 win mag if i discharge at the range/farm at the wrong angle......30-45 degrees is crazy dangerous......6 km ish i think, far anyhow. , but im not allowed my 45 acp ,same degree....oh what 300 yards

what a bunch of bull not being able to shoot at a safe spot.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:24 PM

Old 12-21-2013, 04:33 PM

since feb 13 2013.

just sent my ATC renewals in last week.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
How many of these thugs you speak of have PAL/RPALs? How many purchased and registered their firearms legally? How many have STATTs/LTATTs that cover downtown Bigcity? If the ****rats are already packing why shouldn't the average trained and licensed citizen be on a level playing field?

Carry is legal In the majority of the US. Could you point out a few instances where witnesses all started blazing away and injured a bunch of innocents? I'd like some actual examples of your fearmongering Please.
You either ignored or did not read the last part of what I said. The bad guy has a gun either way. And the guy he might be going to kill might also have a gun. But the last bit was about the guy who is legal and registered now taking the law into his own hands. Cops don't just shoot the guy that may have just killed someone. They may point a weapon at him, tazer him, pepper spray him but they would certainly rather apprehend the perpetrator then just shoot. Plus there might be several police with the same mind set and training. But the one man armed in the crowd who is not trained in law enforcement should not become the judge and juror.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:40 PM

I give this thread 24 hours before it's locked.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:43 PM

Count me in.
Thx braggadoe for reminder for my renewal.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikes"R"us View Post
I'm not opposed 100% to it, but at the same time, becoming a society with so many problems such as the U.S. and not just trying to fix the problems we have ourselves first doesn't seem right to me. Just my own opinion.... Don't want to offend anyone..

By saying that Americans have more respect for one another then Canadians do because your allowed to carry a gun on your hip and then saying that "Violence against people has little to do with guns and more to do with people not respecting each other" Doesn't that kind of contradict itself? Especially when looking at the Statistics every time they come out?
Respect is respect regardless. I'm just stating what I've experienced.

In regard to the stats posted out of that, how many of those crimes were committed in Chicago or Washington D.C. where they strongest gun control laws in the country exist and you can't carry a handgun legally?

Also, are you guys saying if Canada allowed carrying a handgun you would turn from a civilized group into a bunch of murderous monsters because you had a pistol on your hip? Because it kind if sounds that way.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 12-21-2013, 05:01 PM

[QUOTE=Ryry4;2248590] Respect is respect regardless. I'm just stating what I've experienced. QUOTE]

It just seems that when I travel into the states where carrying a gun is legal, people aren't really more polite as you say, they are just aware of the fact that everyone has guns. It doesn't come off as polite to me, more like a case of "I have the biggest stick so you WILL respect me". It all seems forced and contrived, like carrying a gun on your hip somehow makes you a better person.

Gun carrying folk all have the "cop-walk". You know the one....where they strut and push out their pistol to sub-consciously prove a point. Of course there is exceptions to every rule, but that's how I have perceived people that carry guns all the time. I dislike it and I think it makes you look like a douche. Reminds me of guys in white framed sunglasses.....Nathan, looking at you

Respect is not respect if it's forced. It's just like talking to an RCMP. He can have a gun, doesn't mean I will always respect him. It's all in how the person treats another person.

All that said....I signed the petition. I'd love to carry a pistol around the farm and in the bush.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENGUN View Post
You either ignored or did not read the last part of what I said. The bad guy has a gun either way. And the guy he might be going to kill might also have a gun. But the last bit was about the guy who is legal and registered now taking the law into his own hands. Cops don't just shoot the guy that may have just killed someone. They may point a weapon at him, tazer him, pepper spray him but they would certainly rather apprehend the perpetrator then just shoot. Plus there might be several police with the same mind set and training. But the one man armed in the crowd who is not trained in law enforcement should not become the judge and juror.
If you are being shot at there is a higher order than judge and juror that takes precedence. Self preservation outweighs all, doesn't matter if through fight or flight. Obviously there would have to be courses taken and tests passed before being allowed to carry for defense. The legal requirements for taking a shot in self defense would have to be learned.

Cops have been known to shoot people that have commited no crime. When was the last time a cop was ever a witness to a gang killing? They are good at taking pictures, and doing paper work, but very rarely stop a crime in progress. Unless seat belt and speeding tickets meet your definition of crime. All the weapons that you have listed that cops use to subdue criminals are prohibited for citizens to carry for defense against humans. Maybe we should be pushing for legalization of pepper spray use against human aggressors and the legalization of tasers then? Allowing citizens to limit a criminals behaviour cannot be bad can it?

No one has come up with any examples of the blood running in rivers down US streets because of a carry permit holder. Maybe the millions of CCW holders down there really are good responsible citizens, not the raging zealots that hand wringing Canadaians claim they are.

Last edited by hillbillyreefer; 12-21-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:05 PM

Signature #533 Good to go. Redfrog, how many signatures do you think it would take to get a politician's ear? How many are you hoping for ?
Old 12-21-2013, 05:06 PM

"We, the people, call on the Prime Minister of Canada, Stephen Harper, & the Premier of Alberta, Alison Redford, to allow licensed & certified, law abiding citizens open carry permits for the use of self defence in the Province of Alberta."

"This will allow law abiding citizens 18 years of age & older, who have passed a safety background check, as well as a federally approved safety course, the right to openly bear arms."

Too funny. Well done, Jesse. Good luck with that.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
It's like when you go to work and need a pair of pliers. You keep them in the toolbox for when the need arises. Same thing with a handgun, if the need arises at least you have the tool. Any tool is better than nothing in the case of a bear attack. I'm old enough to decide for myself what tools I'll take into the bush. I don't need nervous nelly deciding for me.
I agree but as stated before look at oilfield signs all shot up. guys are just screwing all of us and as a government you have to look at that..
id love to see it happen as id make a tonn of cash because of it. but I want whats best for our safety and a lot of guys are just not safe!
Old 12-21-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:

No one has come up with any examples of the blood running in rivers down US streets because of a carry permit holder. Maybe the millions of CCW holders down there really are good responsible citizens, not the raging zealots that hand wringing Canadaians claim they are.
And I'd be one of them. What some people fail to realize is having a CCW is a huge responsibility and shouldn't be taken lightly. I know I don't.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 12-21-2013, 05:20 PM

google/bing "innocent bystanders wounded in shoot out" read away
Old 12-21-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
google/bing "innocent bystanders wounded in shoot out" read away
Sounds like we should take the guns away from the police.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA