Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 08:14 AM

So to paraphrase, 'don't listen to the 'haters' who you are being ignorant to and blinding and making their journey unsafe, as long as YOU are taking care of yourself, do what you have to do and the other drivers on the road can all go forth and procreate'. To paraphrase.

C'mon, Karma, you've got a lot of work to catch up on.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-02-2016, 08:38 AM
Banned

Didn't want to offend anyone as I said I only want high beam so I don't blind others I do run lots of gravel and highway where you see lots of deer and other critters hit I was hoping to not put a bar on the front as when I drive in bc they just scream pick me to pull over I have aimed my headlights already so they don't point up to blind others and have had enough close calls with wildlife that the extra light would sure help and yes I do slow down when in areas that are heavily populated with wildlife thank you for the others that have tried to help
Old 03-02-2016, 08:46 AM
Banned

Wow. I bet the OP did not expect to get these sort of responces. This thread has taken more turns then one about outfitters or FN hunting/fishing rights.
To sort of sum it up;You are a P-poor driver to start with if you think you need these lights; You are an ignorant, inconsiderate a-hole for even considering installing those lights in your vehicle; You will turn into a dangerous Mad Max once there installed and will spend all your time and money in a body shop; Your probably want them to jacklight deer at night; Those lights are illegal, maybe, or might be some day.
Personally, much as I hate them comming at me or in the rearview mirror on high beam, I would install them in my vehicle in a heartbeat if I could afford them. I see nothing wrong with having better visability at night.
OP..... I would check on the legality of the ones you want to install and then have them installed. Please switch them to low when comming up behind a black ranger on a dark and stormy night.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:52 AM
Banned

The kits have come down so far in price it's crazy you can do a conversion into your stock housing for about 150 if you do the work by the sounds of it I'm going to look at projector housings which cost more but are safer and better by the sounds of it I was looking for real world experience with them as Google only takes me so far
Old 03-02-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGLADNEY View Post
Who cares what others think lol its really not that bad.

And that... is what is wrong with this province. That right there.

'BERDA!!!!
Old 03-02-2016, 08:56 AM
Banned

I know a guy who spent some good money for the conversion and has had a lot of problems with them. Maybe it was the brand but they didn't work properly half the time.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:50 AM

I hope this helps:

Complaints & Issues With Aftermarket HID Headlamps

Recently the Department has had a number of complaints regarding “blinding headlamps”. The following lighting, signaling, and reflective devices are approved:
Devices marked “SAE” or “DOT”
Devices bearing a European-code E-mark
Devices not marked, but originally installed on vehicles intended for sale & use in North America

Since checking headlamp compliance and alignment is part of every vehicle inspection conducted on behalf of the Department there should not be any recently inspected
vehicles with non-compliant or misaligned headlamps.
Headlamps installed in vehicles operated on Alberta roadways MUST pass ALL of the following 5 tests:
1. They must have the right approval markings,
2. They must produce an acceptable beam pattern,
3. They must be equipped with proper bulbs,
4. They must produce light of the proper colour, and
5. They must be aimed correctly.

The following are examples of non-compliant headlamps:

HID bulbs installed in headlamp assemblies not designed for HID bulbs; the light emitted by an HID bulb installed in a headlamp assembly designed for a standard halogen bulb may be scattered and ineffective as the headlamp assembly reflector was not engineered to accept an HID bulb. This type of configuration is quite noticeable with the light emitted having the same appearance as a flood lamp.
Non-compliant halogen headlamp bulbs with the filament encased in bluish looking glass; these bulbs are known to reduce headlamp performance while increasing dangerous glare. This type of bulb is readily identifiable by the significantly blue light emitted.
When in doubt with regards to lighting compliance an Inspection Technician must contact the Department.
There is a lot of information out there and, as per Administration Section 2.3.3 within Alberta’s vehicle inspection manuals an Inspection Technician must maintain an acceptable level of knowledge with respect to new and emerging technology.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:33 PM

Was doing some research on the HID bulbs and where the LED headlamps are at the present last week. Had a customer complaining about factory HID lamps being no good, needed better lights, and he asked about LED availability, not the first time I have heard this. Told him that if he can't see at nite with factory HID's, he may have problems with the housings, specifically the lens/reflectors. If you ever run one with the bulb access covers off, go buy a new housing, the dust and water will bake on the inside of the lens/reflector and it will wreck the light emission characteristics , new bulbs, brighter bulbs and etc will not help. The effect is visible if you have one good one vs one bad one, and the bad one looks OK. Same issue with halogen lamps. Changing the bulb makes no difference.

I found this site, which explains a lot of stuff in his tech articles pretty well about the hype and scams in the headlamp market, and another one which explains where LED lamps are going, there is a good bit of reading in these;

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

http://www.ledsmagazine.com/articles...anager-ic.html

http://newscenter.ti.com/2014-10-16-...dlight-systems

http://www.hella.com/hella-com/en/Headlamps-620.html

Last edited by 32-40win; 03-02-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Banned

Most of my night driving is on 2 lane highways. Those after-market HID are just plain dangerous.

And they are illegal, but I wish more were stopped and charged. From my perspective, the vehicle should be seized, and not allowed back on the road until the lights are back to factory.

Sorry if that offends you, but my and my families safety is more important than any perceived advantage it gives you.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Most of my night driving is on 2 lane highways. Those after-market HID are just plain dangerous.

And they are illegal, but I wish more were stopped and charged. From my perspective, the vehicle should be seized, and not allowed back on the road until the lights are back to factory.

Sorry if that offends you, but my and my families safety is more important than any perceived advantage it gives you.
x2
I know these twits (usually also run their foglamps constantly) think they look cool...but they're a menace.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:55 PM

If Ya can't drive safely with factory headlights you should not be in the road in my opinion. Slow down or stop texting or take a nap or see an optometrist if you can't make do with factory headlights. It's getting ridiculous out there, I had no idea so many people had such slow reaction time they feel the need to spend $ on aftermarket headlights that blind oncoming traffic. Ok rant over.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:25 PM
Banned

You know what I don't like is that these blinding blue lights have been around for a while now and yes they can be blinding but what have the cops done about it? Diddley squat.

Seems if its not speeding or impaired driving, they don't care.

Blinding oncoming drivers is just as dangerous as those, but no one seems to care.

I recently was totally blinded by a guy's lights in Sherwood Park. I kick myself for not pulling a u-turn and either stopping the person or getting their license plate and calling them in.

Its just selfishness that causes a person to use brighter lights for THEMSELVES that blind others.

But the cops don't do a damn thing, as usual.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I know a guy who spent some good money for the conversion and has had a lot of problems with them. Maybe it was the brand but they didn't work properly half the time.
Probably needs a relay. Most vehicles don't have enough power left to fire both ballasts when starting the rest of the vehicles electrical systems on startup giving them the one eyed bandit effect. Allways use a relay with HID's
Old 03-02-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Wow. I bet the OP did not expect to get these sort of responces. This thread has taken more turns then one about outfitters or FN hunting/fishing rights.
To sort of sum it up;You are a P-poor driver to start with if you think you need these lights; You are an ignorant, inconsiderate a-hole for even considering installing those lights in your vehicle; You will turn into a dangerous Mad Max once there installed and will spend all your time and money in a body shop; Your probably want them to jacklight deer at night; Those lights are illegal, maybe, or might be some day.
Personally, much as I hate them comming at me or in the rearview mirror on high beam, I would install them in my vehicle in a heartbeat if I could afford them. I see nothing wrong with having better visability at night.
OP..... I would check on the legality of the ones you want to install and then have them installed. Please switch them to low when comming up behind a black ranger on a dark and stormy night.
Funny reply. You start off by telling him he is an ignorant, inconsiderate a-hole for wanting them and tell him it will turn him into Mad Max behind the wheel and insinuate he wants to hunt illegally with said lights then finish your rant with saying you would install them in a heartbeat if you could afford them
If you followed the replays all but one person said IF he goes that route to do it PROPERLY and use projectors as to NOT blind anyone. Your anger is understandable but misdirected. It's the DB's that put them in the stock (not projector) housings that are blinding everyone and deserve to have them smashed out with a hammer. The OP is asking how to do it properly
Old 03-02-2016, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Funny reply. You start off by telling him he is an ignorant, inconsiderate a-hole for wanting them and tell him it will turn him into Mad Max behind the wheel and insinuate he wants to hunt illegally with said lights then finish your rant with saying you would install them in a heartbeat if you could afford them
If you followed the replays all but one person said IF he goes that route to do it PROPERLY and use projectors as to NOT blind anyone. Your anger is understandable but misdirected. It's the DB's that put them in the stock (not projector) housings that are blinding everyone and deserve to have them smashed out with a hammer. The OP is asking how to do it properly
Got me all wrong ALL. I was just summing up all the negative replies this question has produced. The OP wants some better headlights to increase his safety while he's driving at night, and suddenly he's some kind of outlaw. Too funny.
Yep, I would defenitly instal better headlights on my truck, and wouldn't feel guilty about it for 1 second.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

Agree! Well said.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Got me all wrong ALL. I was just summing up all the negative replies this question has produced. The OP wants some better headlights to increase his safety while he's driving at night, and suddenly he's some kind of outlaw. Too funny.
Yep, I would defenitly instal better headlights on my truck, and wouldn't feel guilty about it for 1 second.
You don't get it...according to the law if he puts in HID's or LED that aren't factory and done improperly...he is an 'outlaw'...they are illegal.
Everyone has said...do it properly...get a lightbar or accessory lights that you can turn on WHEN YOU NEED THEM AND IT ISN'T GOING TO BLIND SOMEONE.
People here are just trying to ensure he doesn't become the douche bag who runs them constantly around town or on the busy highway to Spruce Grove (lit enough and busy enough that you don't need them) and doesn't know what the dimmer switch is for.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
If Ya can't drive safely with factory headlights you should not be on the road in my opinion. Slow down or stop texting or take a nap or see an optometrist if you can't make do with factory headlights. It's getting ridiculous out there, I had no idea so many people had such slow reaction time they feel the need to spend $ on aftermarket headlights that blind oncoming traffic. Ok rant over.
Have to agree!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Even if they were illegal and a danger to everyone else on the road?
Old 03-02-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppercarbide View Post
And that... is what is wrong with this province. That right there.

'BERDA!!!!
Hahah then gtfo
Old 03-02-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGLADNEY View Post
Hahah then gtfo
I think that reply brings us back to the thread on eugenics, and why the province didn't do more to prevent the wide spread Delta Bravo effect we see going on here. Then again, I suspect a good bit of the Delta Bravo effect migrated in from other parts of this fine country. But carry on, I'm still hoping Karma gets around to bitch slapping those who dearly need it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 03-02-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Even if they were illegal and a danger to everyone else on the road?
I said better, not illegal. As for dangerous, don't be such a drama queen. I'm sure we have all had someone approach without dimming their high beams, factory or not. Yeh it's inconsiderate and even dangerous but once you have some experiance on the roads and have logged some miles you'll know what to do. All sorts of "dangerous" situations can occur on the road at any time.
Perhaps you need a refresher course on how to handle "dangerous" situations on the road. I also agree that people with illegal equipement on their vehicles should be fined and given a specific amount of time to bring their vehicles back to code.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I said better, not illegal. As for dangerous, don't be such a drama queen. I'm sure we have all had someone approach without dimming their high beams, factory or not. Yeh it's inconsiderate and even dangerous but once you have some experiance on the roads and have logged some miles you'll know what to do. All sorts of "dangerous" situations can occur on the road at any time.
Perhaps you need a refresher course on how to handle "dangerous" situations on the road. I also agree that people with illegal equipement on their vehicles should be fined and given a specific amount of time to bring their vehicles back to code.
Sure most of us know what to do but there are thousands of moms in minivans loaded with kids that are horrible drivers and really don't know how to react. Better headlights are fine, the headlights most here are talking about as an improvement are mostly illegal, installed incorrectly, or aimed incorrectly. If people used legal headlights, installed and aimed correctly there would be no one complaining or having to use their exceptional driving skills to compensate for the amount of numb nuts who gain a greater sense of accomplishment directly related to the amount candlepower they can assault other drivers eyes with.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:26 PM
Banned

"Thousands of moms loaded with kids that are horrible drivers and don't know how to react"????? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, Maybe we should get those "accidents waiting to happen" off the road rather then complaign about a fellow with good headlights.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
So in other words I'm being a drama queen when I expect the fellow next to me on the shooting range to follow the rules and think of those around them and not sweep the firing line with his rifle/handgun...after all he does't intentionally plan on shooting anyone.
Pretty self indulgent attitude.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
So in other words I'm being a drama queen when I expect the fellow next to me on the shooting range to follow the rules and think of those around them and not sweep the firing line with his rifle/handgun...after all he does't intentionally plan on shooting anyone.
Pretty self indulgent attitude.
OMG!! Yes you are! Comparing a fellow outdoorsman who wants to outfit his truck with the best headlights that are legal and that he can afford so he will feel safer on the road with someone who sweeps the the firing line and perhaps injures or kills someone is text book drama queen. I will throw in a pair of pink panties for you if you add that the lunatic spraying bullets around the range shot your dog.
The OP wanted some advise on some high powered headlights and instead of advise some of you are making him out to be the son of satan. (yeh, I know, now I'm being dramatic).
I pity the fool who asks for advise on the best 4x4 tires to buy for his truck. The OP was not asking for permission to buy better headlights, just some info. on how best to go about it.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
"Thousands of moms loaded with kids that are horrible drivers and don't know how to react"????? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, Maybe we should get those "accidents waiting to happen" off the road rather then complaign about a fellow with good headlights.
I shouldn't be so hard on Moms but they tend to be distracted by kids and not paying attention, of course there are thousands of drivers who should be taken off the roads. Then maybe thousands of people wouldn't get killed every year in 'accidents' in this country.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:44 AM
Banned

Seems you're fighting a losing battle waterninja.
Apart from the one person in ten driving around with these things most seem to feel them a hazard.
But again, you're entitled to your self entitled opinion.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I think that reply brings us back to the thread on eugenics, and why the province didn't do more to prevent the wide spread Delta Bravo effect we see going on here. Then again, I suspect a good bit of the Delta Bravo effect migrated in from other parts of this fine country. But carry on, I'm still hoping Karma gets around to bitch slapping those who dearly need it.
Pure AO gold....we need a separate section for these.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:25 AM
Banned

I'm in aww of posts I've read in the short time I have been here.How does asking for info on HID lights turn into name calling and childish behavior? Why would anyone write anything that wasn't a tip on a light choice ,after all he is obviously upgrading. Very combative forum.
Closed Thread