Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-18-2009, 04:38 PM

Default out there!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienelliott View Post
and the thing is its factory
I shoot a savage .300 wsm with schmidt and bender glass!! good to a 1500!!
I can shoot all day with it recoil is not too bad at all!! my gun with only a barrell mod was less than $1200 glass was $3200 I shoot paper plates at 1400 yards!! My buddy shoots a stock savage 12 with a bushnell 3200 4-12 same as me in .308 to 1400 just the same !!!
Old 11-18-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
TIKKA 595 heavy barrrel
23" 1:11 barrel
BERGER 168 VLD , Lapua brass,
Varget 45.5 = 2750 fps
.250" groups @ 100 yds.

Modern quality bullets, brass, and powders are making the old 308 very hard to beat !
funny how people with a .308" diameter bullet can make a .250" group. Do bullets shrink as they fly if so maybe I should switch to .50 cal
Old 11-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
and the thing is its factory
Are you from South Africa
Old 11-18-2009, 06:49 PM

ahaha no newfoundland originally not even close
Old 11-18-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico284 View Post
funny how people with a .308" diameter bullet can make a .250" group. Do bullets shrink as they fly if so maybe I should switch to .50 cal

GROUPS of bullets are typically measured center to center, not outside to outside.
If you measure outside to outside, subtract a a full caliber and you hav the center to center group.
it's not hard at all to shoot a 3 or 5 shot group measuring .250 or less.
Here is a s shot target supplied by tactical Operations, shot with one of there rifles. the rifle is chambered in 308 Winchester.

BTW, this group, although very tight, is not a "one-in a thousand", Ii;ve seen many different rifles built by many different gunsmiths shoot groups like this, and some very tight 5 shot groups. This particular rifle is not a target style BR rifle, but a tactical rifle, made for that type of competition, and also sold to various Law Enforcement agencies, security contractors, etc
Dig into Benchrest Central and you will see some REALLY tight groups!
Cat
Old 11-19-2009, 07:53 AM

A buddy bought a CZ 750 sniper in .308 along with a Bushnell 6500 4.5-30 X30mm and he's on his second scope.The new scope won't hold it's zero even now.Should have went Leupold or better............JMO.........Harold
Old 11-19-2009, 10:12 AM

i love the bushnell and everybody i hunt with uses bushnell i dont like leupold i know a couple buddys had them 1 of them had to get it rebuilt and the other guy sent it back and got new ones 3 times and it still wouldnt sight it they both went to bushnell and are loving them
Old 11-19-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post

GROUPS of bullets are typically measured center to center, not outside to outside.
If you measure outside to outside, subtract a a full caliber and you hav the center to center group.
it's not hard at all to shoot a 3 or 5 shot group measuring .250 or less.
Here is a s shot target supplied by tactical Operations, shot with one of there rifles. the rifle is chambered in 308 Winchester.

BTW, this group, although very tight, is not a "one-in a thousand", Ii;ve seen many different rifles built by many different gunsmiths shoot groups like this, and some very tight 5 shot groups. This particular rifle is not a target style BR rifle, but a tactical rifle, made for that type of competition, and also sold to various Law Enforcement agencies, security contractors, etc
Dig into Benchrest Central and you will see some REALLY tight groups!
Cat
Well to me it's still outside diameter, think what you might. if you shoot a 30cal bullet it makes a .30" hole therefore if you group centers at .25" you would have a .55" hole. punch a hole of .5" in paper and shoot at it. if you can sneak them in there well then your group is less than .5". paper won't lie about the diameter of your shot group
Old 11-19-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico284 View Post
Well to me it's still outside diameter, think what you might. if you shoot a 30cal bullet it makes a .30" hole therefore if you group centers at .25" you would have a .55" hole. punch a hole of .5" in paper and shoot at it. if you can sneak them in there well then your group is less than .5". paper won't lie about the diameter of your shot group
I really think you should read up on group shooting a bit before replying anymore.

Cat
Old 11-19-2009, 08:27 PM

if you want to measure exactly what type of groups you are shooting take a piece of
.060" aluminium and punch holes thru it measure across widest point with calipres and presto an exact number!! A lot of shooters that worry about "tight groups do not even measure till you can drill a toonie at 300 yards" push the centre out first shot is usually good for $5000 at the law enforcement shoot every year!
Old 11-20-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
i love the bushnell and everybody i hunt with uses bushnell i dont like leupold i know a couple buddys had them 1 of them had to get it rebuilt and the other guy sent it back and got new ones 3 times and it still wouldnt sight it they both went to bushnell and are loving them
i use leupold and never had a problem know lots of guys who use leupold and never had a problem i think i would question buddies sighting methods before the scope