Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2010, 11:25 AM

Default Don't feed the wildlife fellas...

Mooshknuckles is just looking to get a rise out of you guys, his life must be that boring that he gets pleasure by stirring the pot online where he can safely sit behind a keyboard. Not in the field, not doing anything constructive or offering any sort of positive contribution.

I appreciate your efforts in the fields guys, thanks for putting up with knuckleheads and uncooperative weather, and still getting the job done.

There are plenty more supporters of agriculture than there are knuckleheads.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post

Could you imagine what we'd read then

Your report was much better than I heard while in North Battleford on Friday. Let me know how the Millet works for you as every year I have a customer or two try it and I ain't been impressed yet.
A day of sun and a light west wind really dried things up today, some guys were mudding it in today. I get my seeding done by the neighbour, he has a 50 some foot seedhawk, and it takes 6 hours to do the 158 acres. It's not worth the hasslehoff for me to own and repair a drill, and then spend 2 days trying to get the seed in the ground.
I feed the Millet to the Buffalo cows, and the Herd Bulls in the winter. They clean it up really good after i put it thru the bale processor.
The only tips I can really give is don't let it get wet after you cut it, it turns to mush and takes forever to dry. We had 3/4 inch of rain on it one year and it took 2 weeks to dry out, we even flipped it after 8 days.
It works out good generally, its goes In the ground late, cause it can't freeze or its junk, then 60 days later you cut it. The first 30 days you wonder whats wrong with it cause it stays at the 3 leaf stage about 5 inches tall ..then boom it explodes and grows a foot in a week.
I would like to try swath grazing it in the fall or winter, but really scared of what happens to it when it gets wet.

I hope that helps.
I will keep the SE Sask crop report coming in LOL
Old 06-01-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbuffaloguy View Post

I hope that helps.
I will keep the SE Sask crop report coming in LOL
Sure did and I thank you for it. You do a better report than the fellows on the radio.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:32 PM

Thanks. I'm not paid by Viterra, Pioneer, Cargill, or Monsanta to give the rose colored glasses version of whats realy happening