Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-19-2010, 01:47 PM

The dogs teach themselves and some are better than others.

Best thing is to take them out. When they're young they'll run and sniff things, as they get older they venture farther from you and are away longer. Once they get on a scent they'll start trailing it.

Keep in mind most hare run in some sort of oval or ciclualr path so get to know the area and watch them go by and set up for the next time they come through.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:07 AM

Default hunting hare with hounds

Hi, it has been a while since I came to this site. I now have a borzoi bitch and would like to hunt hare with her. She is 9 mo. old. I have been taking her for off-leash walks with my 9 yr old foxhound cross. The only 2 times we encountered hare was when she was fortunately on a leash. She was very keen to pursue. My foxhound goes after them but returns quickly because he is not fast enough. He did come home with a snowshoe hare in his mouth 3 times when we lived outside Edmonton. I am interested in going hunting near Edmonton. I dont have a gun or bow. I want the hounds to catch the hare. I think scent hounds and sight hounds would work well together. It would be nice to have some company.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palfreyrider View Post
Hi, it has been a while since I came to this site. I now have a borzoi bitch and would like to hunt hare with her. She is 9 mo. old. I have been taking her for off-leash walks with my 9 yr old foxhound cross. The only 2 times we encountered hare was when she was fortunately on a leash. She was very keen to pursue. My foxhound goes after them but returns quickly because he is not fast enough. He did come home with a snowshoe hare in his mouth 3 times when we lived outside Edmonton. I am interested in going hunting near Edmonton. I dont have a gun or bow. I want the hounds to catch the hare. I think scent hounds and sight hounds would work well together. It would be nice to have some company.
I would be more than willing to hunt with you. I too have often thought about the combination of hunting with both sight and scent hounds. I have two Beagles. However, I do not hunt with my dogs during big game season. The next time I anticipate hunting hare with my dogs is sometime around Christmas, unless I can secure access to private land where no big game hunters will be present.

At present I have not made any private land contacts where I can hunt rabbits close to Edmonton. Ministik sanctuary is my only other location around Edmonton, but no chance of running dogs there.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:58 AM

Hi Erik, tomorow I am taking my borzoi to a lure coursing practice. She has to chase a plastic bag. I dont know if she will. I know she will chase a hare - I dont know if she can catch one. Is there open country where you hunt or is it all woods? Would you like to take a novice out hunting with you? Do you go out with a quad?
Old 09-12-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palfreyrider View Post
Hi Erik, tomorow I am taking my borzoi to a lure coursing practice. She has to chase a plastic bag. I dont know if she will. I know she will chase a hare - I dont know if she can catch one. Is there open country where you hunt or is it all woods? Would you like to take a novice out hunting with you? Do you go out with a quad?
I live in the city. As such I do not use quads, nor do I have open land. I do know of a few spots, mostly conservation areas. I must preface my experience by saying that although I am experienced with my beagles I am not by any means an expert. Therefore, I do not mind having a 'novice' accompany me and my dogs. What I will say is that I enjoy watching dogs work and having someone to accompany me with their dogs is as much to my benefit as it is to theirs regardless of experience level. Plus its just plain fun to watch the dogs. As long as you handle your firearm safely I welcome just about anyone to come with me and my dogs.

I wasn't planning on too much hare hunting until the snow flies and big-game season is over, but I can make exceptions until rifle season is underway. After that and before Christmas I do not permit my dogs to run freely anywhere; just common sense, I think.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:34 PM

As a new Beagle owner i am eager to help her develop her natural skills. I do a lot outdoors and cant wait to include her. I am also new to this site and look forward to learning some techniques from everyone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test.jpg (24.5 KB, 28 views)
Old 05-17-2011, 08:26 AM

Smile Need off leash for sure.

Ice is right about a 22, I've shot lots with a 22 in front of my beagle. He had a loud bay but ran slowly and the rabbits would stop and look back to see where he was and that is when I shot. The whistle works too.

I'd find a place where you can just take him out and let him hunt rabbits, no gun until he is older.

The only rub with a hound, I never found a way to make him come back when I wanted to go home. Once he was gone for 3 days. Other than that he was a wonderful dog.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:05 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonowner View Post
As a new Beagle owner i am eager to help her develop her natural skills. I do a lot outdoors and cant wait to include her. I am also new to this site and look forward to learning some techniques from everyone
Neat looking dog. I love beagles.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-17-2011, 10:19 PM

thanks... she is still a puppy but she cant help herself with all the gophers around.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonowner View Post
Bring lots of hot dogs and work on "come"!!! Seriously, or your outdoor adventures will turn into outdoor toil, and perhaps (but hopefully not..knock on wood) outdoor tragedy. Make sure that is solid before you work on the rabbit.

I have one good listener and one not so good. You can guess in which sequence each learned rabbit and "come". Once they hit a certain age, no matter how you train them, old habits die hard. Both learned their rabbit scent easily...that's the simple part. But don't let this discourage you from your mischievous hound. You are about to become a black-belt guru in patience!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnBjQDeZPag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3YR_...ure=grec_index

If you are in Edmonton there is a Beagle owners club that meets at the Ekota Ice rink every Sunday at noon to let the hounds play. Nice way to meet other Beagles. Mind you the ice rink is a bit small, but at least they are contained...well sort of. Last week my bad girl jumped on my back as I was kneeling and then on top of the boards and out and I had to chase her down with a treat
Old 12-13-2013, 10:35 AM

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alber...86431408218080

This is a Facebook page for beaglers to connect and chat about beagle hunting!! like it up! and tell us about yourself and you're hunting experiences!