Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Banned

I never had any troubles with accuracy with any of my barrels except the 338 cal, I had trigger done, hanger bar installed, over-sized hinge pin, and larger sized locking bolt. Not much else a person can do, the accuracy wasn`t to my liking so I sold after spending a lot of cash, and time.

Looking for 1/2 MOA gun, out of I assuming a 338 Win, with T/C Encore set up, is asking a bit don't you think Traps? Its a hunting rifle not a precision rifle.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck180 View Post
I never had any troubles with accuracy with any of my barrels except the 338 cal, I had trigger done, hanger bar installed, over-sized hinge pin, and larger sized locking bolt. Not much else a person can do, the accuracy wasn`t to my liking so I sold after spending a lot of cash, and time.

Looking for 1/2 MOA gun, out of I assuming a 338 Win, with T/C Encore set up, is asking a bit don't you think Traps? Its a hunting rifle not a precision rifle.
Noneck the two calibers I am shooting are the 338 Federal and 7mm-08 both roughly at 2 MOA. I realize its not made to be a target rifle and didn't expect it to be one when I bought it. I bought it to tinker with it, test it, modify it, and make it better. I wasn't impressed with 2 MOA with all my initial load testing, albeit 2 MOA is definitely adequate for hunting. I am expecting a 1 MOA gun with modifications which I believe is achievable with most any modern hunting rifle whether at my hands or a smith.
After doin some testing at the range and finding out what works and what doesn't with this particular setup it definitely can be a 1 MOA gun or better. I think this setup is easy to modifiy and tweak for the home gunsmith because of its simplicity, the main issue is permanent fix - some may consider a cleaning patch a permanent fix for 0.25 MOA but I don't. I know what causes the accuracy problems, it now becomes what will permanently fix it.

If I was to build an encore type rifle from the ground up there are a few things I would do to improve on it. Bush the pin holes so it can be returned to a new state and make the barrel to receiver tighter in tolerances. I plan on doing the barrel to receiver fix for my next custom barrel by providing the barrel diameter near the receiver, should be able to get it size on size. This also gives me a reason to buy another barrel. Thinking of a classic single shot, the 9.3x74.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:58 PM
Banned

Traps,
With those cartridges I would expect 1 MOA aswell, told you a year ago that a 7 Rem Mag has better accuracy, velocity & hitting power

Just Jokin Noneck
Old 01-19-2010, 06:29 PM

Noneck, I should have listened to you then.

Came across this writeup by Mike Bellm an encore smith, he provides some solid info to tweak your gun:

http://www.6mmbr.com/BellmEncore.html

I did the easier ones he lists - numbers 1,2,4,5,7 and this did the trick for this gun. You may find different.

Very cheap fixes considering this stuff is usually done by a smith on a bolt action.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Banned

Spoke with Mike, tried all the tricks, his site was on my favorites list for two years. In the end the Encore just wasn't for me, seemed to be the answer for caliber changes.
Now I am switching to a custom bolt action, bedded action, Mcmillan stock, Jewel trigger and then switch barrels .

Noneck
Old 02-08-2010, 06:41 PM

The answer to the side to side movement on the encore is provided by Bullberry as listed on their webpage:

http://www.bullberry.com/encore.html

Factory Encore Barrel Alterations

If you have a factory Encore that you are interested in having set-up with our hanger bar system simply send it in with your contact information and request for work. We modify barrels by cutting our standard dovetails into the bottom of the barrel, then install dovetailed inserts and our hanger bar. The modification is $40 per barrel (plus return shipping) and will allow for any of the standard Bullberry/Woodsmith forearms we offer to free float, maximizing your barrel's accuracy potential. This operation does not take the lead-time of a custom barrel order. Such items are placed in current production batches and may take up to two to four weeks depending on production schedules at time of arrival. Accompanying custom woodwork orders may increase this estimated time of completion.

The dovetail design along with an oversize hinge pin will make these guns really accurate. Price for pin $30, dovetail $40 and shipping, not a bad price to get a shooter.