Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-05-2018, 07:03 AM

You guys are jokin right? There’s no dead zone. There are idiots who shoot above the spine and thought they hit a dead zone but really they just don’t know how low the spine dips toward the front of an animal. Watch this before you try and argue with me. It’s less then five minutes and you’ll likely learn something.

https://youtu.be/eQ5fkdN0tuI

Good luck OP and good job putting in the effort to find him yesterday.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:34 AM

Cool video that definitely shows there is no dead zone so it could be a bullet deflection or poor bullet performance on his deer

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2018, 07:46 AM

That's so awesome you found him, pretty crazy he's still walking around spraying blood. Hope you see him piled up today!
Old 11-05-2018, 08:14 AM

Super great effort. Hope ya find him today. Good luck.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 11-05-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Super great effort. Hope ya find him today. Good luck.
X2 I don't think he will be going far unless he gets really pushed. I also don't think he is gut shot by the look of the blood, not that I'm a forensic pathologist or anything. My guess is you've got muscle and the wound opens up when he moves around. I'm interested in your ballistics though.
What distance is the rifle zero'd?
Where were you aiming?
Good luck and good on ya for the effort.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
You guys are jokin right? There’s no dead zone. There are idiots who shoot above the spine and thought they hit a dead zone but really they just don’t know how low the spine dips toward the front of an animal. Watch this before you try and argue with me. It’s less then five minutes and you’ll likely learn something.

While there is no "dead zone" or "void" below the spine, putting a bullet tight below the spine broadside through the chest cavity often does not do lethal damage to the animal.

Punctures to the top of the lungs is something that deer can survive.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-05-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
While there is no "dead zone" or "void" below the spine, putting a bullet tight below the spine broadside through the chest cavity often does not do lethal damage to the animal.

If you had said “small dull broadhead” and hadn’t used the word “often” I might of bought it. Besides a fmj or bullet that didn’t expand for some reason, what bullet is getting through there without doing enough damage to kill a deer?
I agree the top of the lungs aren’t as vascular as other portions of the lungs and if the hunter is very unlucky he could conceivably hit an animal there with a small or dull broadhead, non expanding bullet or at very long range without expansion and enough secondary wound channel from the ke without killing it but it would be a very uncommon experience, certainly not something that would happen “often”.
There isn’t a “void” like lots of guys think exists and gets spread around the internet like an urban legend. There is no dead space, no mans land above the lungs. There certainly are plenty of “less vital” areas in an animals chest but rifles usually make up for that problem.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:

This 100% tough critters

bottom 1/3 of the torso is where the good stuff is. get blood way quicker too.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:39 PM

Keyhole?
Old 11-05-2018, 06:49 PM

Smile

I am so invested in this story now! Updates - keep em coming!
Old 11-05-2018, 07:22 PM

Well I'm guessing he didn't find it are they would have had some pictures up already.?

Old 11-05-2018, 08:33 PM

Cool video.
Good luck with your search an keep us posted.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-06-2018, 01:35 AM

^ What video?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Well I'm guessing he didn't find it are they would have had some pictures up already.?
Not exactly. I did find him today again. First time, a distance away (I would guesstimate at least 400 yards, probably more) before noon feeding on one of the open hills. There was a doe with him. I am sure some people here are very capable and would take that shot, but I am no marksman, so there is no way I was taking it to wound the poor guy again. As I watched him for a few minutes, he appeared to be limping on his right leg, the side where he was shot. It was not bad, but definitely visible. Yesterday, there was no limping at all; in fact, he did not show any sings of discomfort at all.

After watching him for a few minutes, I started to move to where he was spotted. It took a while to get there because the terrain is not easy at all. When I came close and had another opportunity to glass, he was gone, of course. No blood anywhere though. I could not track him because it seemed all deer (as well as elk) were moving last night and all day today, so there was no way to even tell which direction he went to. Too many tracks and beat up trails. I checked out quite a few of them and did not find any blood. Bush crawling for the rest of the day did not provide any meaningful results either.

Just before or right at sunset, I went back to the field where we pushed him to yesterday. I waited, glassing the field and all entry points I am aware of. Plenty of mule deer, but no sight of him. Just when I was about to leave and taking the last look, about 15 minutes after legal light, I thought I saw his rack sticking out of tall grass, at the edge of the field. I am pretty sure there was another anlerless head next to him. Obviously, I stayed and glassed. About ten minutes later (not sure how long because I did not look at the clock), he came out with a bit of a limp. The good thing about snow is that it is fairly easy to see a deer out in the field even when light is long gone.

I watched him for a few more minutes. When I started the vehicle to leave, he ran away. Since he was gone anyway, I decided to go and check for blood once again. Well, there was no blood where he was walking/standing. There was, however, not far (20-30 yards) from where he started running.

Yesterday he appeared to bleed when he was walking as well. But he didn't have a limp (or maybe i just did not notice it).

Anyway, the whole thing sucks badly. I have only seen this deer 4 times since mid-August, including the day I shot him. Today is the third day in a row that I put my eyes on him, including the day I shot him. I feel like I am running out of luck seeing him. And I will not be able to be there tomorrow either. On the other hand, maybe it is about time when he becomes more visible to the outside world. Also, seeing him feeding and a doe next to him must be a good sign, no?

I am not really sure about what is going, but from everything I have seen so far, I missed the heart, but it definitely looked like he was hit somewhere between the heart and the shoulder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (66.7 KB, 1050 views)
Old 11-06-2018, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
What distance is the rifle zero'd?
Where were you aiming?
Zeroed to 100 meters. Aimed for the heart (not sure how to explain it otherwise).
Old 11-06-2018, 05:14 AM

Fishnguy. Try not to let this incident get you down. Your not the only hunter who has had a deer get away. It happens to almost every hunter sometime. Not all is lost. You are putting in a good effort to recover the deer. Also sounds like you may get another shot at him. Keep looking for him to the best of your ability. That’s all you can do. The rest is up to the hunting gods. Stuff like this is what makes a seasoned hunter.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
If you had said “small dull broadhead” and hadn’t used the word “often” I might of bought it. Besides a fmj or bullet that didn’t expand for some reason, what bullet is getting through there without doing enough damage to kill a deer?
I agree the top of the lungs aren’t as vascular as other portions of the lungs and if the hunter is very unlucky he could conceivably hit an animal there with a small or dull broadhead, non expanding bullet or at very long range without expansion and enough secondary wound channel from the ke without killing it but it would be a very uncommon experience, certainly not something that would happen “often”.
There isn’t a “void” like lots of guys think exists and gets spread around the internet like an urban legend. There is no dead space, no mans land above the lungs. There certainly are plenty of “less vital” areas in an animals chest but rifles usually make up for that problem.

Well there is a small area that the deer can survive a so called thought it was a lethal shot, seen it with an arrow, just to have that same buck killed during rifle season that being said a lot less likely for a bullet to do so as it expands even ever so slightly but the impact and energy that goes through the body like a shock wave often contributes to a dead dear but and there are many buts or so called miracles or head shake moments and perhaps this was one....never ever think these critters are not tuff....hunker down and see what natures card deals.

To the OP you are a true hunter in every form, feel bad, can't sleep, toss and turn, play scenarios over and over, go back out and check areas often, seek advice etc....it happens to all of us just we don't except it so we keep looking, hoping....put a smile on my face when I helped a buddy for a week search high and low after a arrow found a void...he got it during rifle season.

Keep at it and best of luck, thanks for sharing too cuz many wouldn't or have not experienced it....hope to see a pic.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-06-2018, 05:48 AM

You keep putting in this kind of effort you will be rewarded and yes everybody loses an animal good luck

Old 11-06-2018, 05:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ What video?

Not exactly. I did find him today again. First time, a distance away (I would guesstimate at least 400 yards, probably more) before noon feeding on one of the open hills. There was a doe with him. I am sure some people here are very capable and would take that shot, but I am no marksman, so there is no way I was taking it to wound the poor guy again. As I watched him for a few minutes, he appeared to be limping on his right leg, the side where he was shot. It was not bad, but definitely visible. Yesterday, there was no limping at all; in fact, he did not show any sings of discomfort at all.

After watching him for a few minutes, I started to move to where he was spotted. It took a while to get there because the terrain is not easy at all. When I came close and had another opportunity to glass, he was gone, of course. No blood anywhere though. I could not track him because it seemed all deer (as well as elk) were moving last night and all day today, so there was no way to even tell which direction he went to. Too many tracks and beat up trails. I checked out quite a few of them and did not find any blood. Bush crawling for the rest of the day did not provide any meaningful results either.

Just before or right at sunset, I went back to the field where we pushed him to yesterday. I waited, glassing the field and all entry points I am aware of. Plenty of mule deer, but no sight of him. Just when I was about to leave and taking the last look, about 15 minutes after legal light, I thought I saw his rack sticking out of tall grass, at the edge of the field. I am pretty sure there was another anlerless head next to him. Obviously, I stayed and glassed. About ten minutes later (not sure how long because I did not look at the clock), he came out with a bit of a limp. The good thing about snow is that it is fairly easy to see a deer out in the field even when light is long gone.

I watched him for a few more minutes. When I started the vehicle to leave, he ran away. Since he was gone anyway, I decided to go and check for blood once again. Well, there was no blood where he was walking/standing. There was, however, not far (20-30 yards) from where he started running.

Yesterday he appeared to bleed when he was walking as well. But he didn't have a limp (or maybe i just did not notice it).

Anyway, the whole thing sucks badly. I have only seen this deer 4 times since mid-August, including the day I shot him. Today is the third day in a row that I put my eyes on him, including the day I shot him. I feel like I am running out of luck seeing him. And I will not be able to be there tomorrow either. On the other hand, maybe it is about time when he becomes more visible to the outside world. Also, seeing him feeding and a doe next to him must be a good sign, no?

I am not really sure about what is going, but from everything I have seen so far, I missed the heart, but it definitely looked like he was hit somewhere between the heart and the shoulder.
I also think maybe too far forward and hit the brisket area which would bleed as indicated by your pics but give no sign of a limp,as it never touched the shoulder area just an open wound that will,heal over time.
We want know for sure until,you get him

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-06-2018, 09:14 AM

I would have thought if he was hit hard the coyotes would have got him. The other thing is he is not stiffening up when he lies down which makes me think this is not a bad wound. time will tell but myself you did your best so do not lose any sleep over it.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:

WOW!!
Amazing.
I have seen animals shot high , drop in their tracks then get up sometimes as long as a few minutes later!
Note to self........
Cat
Old 11-06-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
WOW!!
Amazing.
I have seen animals shot high , drop in their tracks then get up sometimes as long as a few minutes later!
Note to self........
Cat

You're so full of it Cat.

The most blatant example of such an occurrence I experienced....

I had a buck run out of the bush twenty yards from me, stopped broadside.

I shot and he dropped like a 200 lb sack of potatoes.

I walked up to him, poked him in the eye with the rifle, no reaction.
The bullet entrance hole, below the spine, behind the shoulder blade, was open and not bleeding.

Grabbed an antler, and said some words.
Went to my pack and dug for a knife, heard a commotion, looked up to watch the buck run off back into the bush.

There was a skiff of snow, now melting off. I followed the tracks and sparse blood trail for an hour over maybe 300 yards until I lost both.

A week later a friend shot that buck, the previous bullet wound, BELOW the spine and through the top of the lungs, was well on the mend.

Must have been a dream....

Fishnguy, sounds like the buck is ok, and will survive your earlier encounter unless you do something about it.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-06-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:

The bullet entrance hole, below the spine, behind the shoulder blade, was open and not bleeding.

Went to my pack and dug for a knife, heard a commotion, looked up to watch the buck run off back into the bush.

There was a skiff of snow, now melting off. I followed the tracks and sparse blood trail for an hour over maybe 300 yards until I lost both.

A week later a friend shot that buck, the previous bullet wound, BELOW the spine and through the top of the lungs, was well on the mend.

Fishnguy, sounds like the buck is ok, and will survive your earlier encounter unless you do something about it.
Yup, hunt long enough and a guy will see some crazy stuff and hear even crazier!
I had one friend go up to a dead deer and it bounced back to life with him doing a bucking Bronc imitation hanging onto its antlers with his brother laffing his butt off! Rex said he was just trying not to get stabbed with the antlers and here's the kid brother slpitting a gut!
Cat
Old 11-06-2018, 11:49 AM

Good on you for doing the massive search. I am guessing you hit meat in front of the shoulders. He is limping cause he hurts, still dripping cause when he runs, he re opens part of the wound. I'm guessing he he will survive.

I hit a buck many moons ago, took a front facing shot, seen the hit, blood and hair on the ground from where he ran away from. Started at 9:30 am, followed him till dark when the blood trail ended and he was now jumping fallen trees with no blood after on the snow. No sunday hunting either back then and bad weather was coming and I had no choice to track right away.

Unless the yotes get him, your buck may be waiting for you on another day. Keep hunting that spot and see if you get another chance.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Unless the yotes get him, your buck may be waiting for you on another day. Keep hunting that spot and see if you get another chance.
Yep, just like in a duck shooting gallery.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:53 PM

I stopped all neck shots after I had a buck (I had in my hands and dragged 10-20 yards), get up and run off after I walked away to go grab my knife.

LC
Old 11-06-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:

OP I was referring to this video. . I guess that my post wasn't very clear. Sometimes I have to rush to post them between chasing my daughter around. Lol
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-06-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:

The way your telling your story is exactly what happen to me one day except when he jumped up I still had my rifle in hand and fired point blank from the hip hitting in the him in the liver far back.There was no snow and he took off into thick bush with no trace of blood at all.

I looked for over an hour and decided to walk back and get a drink of water at my truck and as I opened the door I heard a noise and there he was still standing 15 feet away.
I finished what I started,but was very puzzled on where my first shot went and exactly like you described up just above the lungs with just a tiny hole on the tip of the lung,i just knocked the wind out of him real bad or collapsed the lungs and by time I walked the 300 yards up hill he recovered and if I never would have hit him again he would have lived.

Fishingguy ,I still think you will find him if you keep at it or he may just be fine,if you hunt long enough some days you wish you stayed in bed so don't ride yourself to hard,it's all part of hunting.Best of luck
Old 11-06-2018, 03:44 PM

been there. sucks. watched a buck get pounded in the shoulder and react like he was rolling down the windows before he trotted into the bush. 2 days/3 beds and 11 miles in a foot of snow later we never found him.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:52 PM

Thanks for all your input, guys. It is appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
OP I was referring to this video. . I guess that my post wasn't very clear. Sometimes I have to rush to post them between chasing my daughter around. Lol
I thought I was loosing it, lol. And I hear you about chasing a daughter around. I have two of them to run after

Found 40 some minutes before sunset today to go check out the fields, hoping to find him there. I mean he was there for the past two evenings, one way or the other, so I figured why not. I parked the vehicle and after opening the door, immediately heard ravens in the bush not far from the edge of the field. ^@$#*%!, was my first thought. Quickly loaded the gun and, while being filled with disappointment and whatnot, I moved toward the sound. I saw a few ravens on treetops and a few "fighting" up in the air, so I thought it was not necessarily a bad sign and maybe they were just fighting over a nest or whatever (I have no clue what they fight over, except for food). The closer I came, however, the more I heard: it became obvious they were on the ground as well, then I heard magpies, etc. The whatever I wrote above thought came back and then some. Finally, I saw some blood, way more serious than "my" deer had been dripping. And then I discovered something that kind of made me think "I wish it was my deer being dead".

What I discovered was a poaching site. Pretty disgusting. Funny thing is I didn't even notice how I walked by the tracks of some type of off-road vehicle on the field. I won't go into details, but I spent my evening texting the landowner back and forth, talking to Fish and Wildlife, etc. I was told by Fish and Wildlife that they currently had other commitments at the moment and will come over to check it out when they can. Not sure if it is a good idea since the "evidence" will probably be eaten by the morning for the most part (or removed by the poachers (would be really surprised if it is not plural) who read this post), but I trust they know what they are doing much better than I do. I expected to hear something different to be honest though.

Clearly, my "hunt" didn't work out today.

I don't want to hijack my own thread, so please do not make it into "one of those threads", but if I was not there today with permission to be there, in all likelihood what I saw would have never been discovered and reported. Just a straight up fact. Food for thought to those who say the land is now closed to hunters due to poaching. It was not just trespassing/trespassing with a firearm what I saw.

Anyway, 24 more days to go. Hopefully, I will be able to make something of it. And again, thank you for the encouraging and otherwise replies. I truly appreciate them.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:04 AM

Damn multi quote didn't work. I think that you know but it was the youtube video that coiloil37 posted.

I hope that you find your deer after all of this or get a chance at a nice buck.