Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2024, 08:13 AM

If the job is not a union job, do not accept the first offer. Get a lawyer who is experienced with labor laws in Alberta. Your employer cannot force you to sign the severance package letter in one week. You as the employee have the right to scrutinize the document, and to get the best package you can for yourself. For instance, if you are an older worker it will be tougher to get a similar paying job probably with the same benefits. Stick to your guns and get the best deal you can.
Old 06-24-2024, 01:41 PM

I was given a very large severance package ,about a years worth of wages .
I kinda of giggled inside as I took it ,as i had few job offers the week before .
Maybe they knew it ,and did not want to look bad that I left them .
Old 06-24-2024, 02:29 PM

I'm not sure why you think the company would worry about looking bad because you had other job offers. The two things I hope for when I fire someone is for them to sign off on their package and that they find another job right away. Terminating someone's employment isn't a part of the job that any normal person enjoys and in my experience the employer has been more than fair when determining severance packages for poor performers.

Gerry Burnie
Old 06-24-2024, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I'm not sure why you think the company would worry about looking bad because you had other job offers. The two things I hope for when I fire someone is for them to sign off on their package and that they find another job right away. Terminating someone's employment isn't a part of the job that any normal person enjoys and in my experience the employer has been more than fair when determining severance packages for poor performers.
I worked for an oil field company that rented out 200 generators to drilling companies. I had build 75 % of them I was the only HD Mechanic they had that looked after them for 25 years . If you were on a drilling rig back in the 1985-2000 you knew who they were and you knew who I was . I worked 18 hrs a days and i would cover all 3 provinces every 3 days sometimes . I had at least 4 job offers a year and would of had a lot more if I was at most job places during daylight hrs . I was burnt out and needed a change . The new owners thought they could replace me .Once I was gone ,they found no one that would be on call 24/7 365 days a year that knew deutz deisel engines . Most guy wanted to be home every day ,They end up selling all the generators at auction as they broke over thy next 5 years and folded the company .

Last edited by -JR-; 06-24-2024 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-24-2024, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
Correct that there are minimums for Alberta when terminated without cause. Incorrect on the notice/severance for 10 years of service. Even at McDonald's, being let go without cause and having 10 years of service would require 8 weeks termination notice or termination pay (pay in lieu of notice).

https://www.alberta.ca/termination-pay

The Province sets the minimum notice/pay in lieu, but companies are free to go above that amount and that may be where a lawyer is required. There may be precedence set for what other companies have paid (if disclosed) for a similar position and you may be able to argue you should receive similar.
Good correction. Thanks
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-24-2024, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I worked for an oil field company that rented out 200 generators to drilling companies. I had build 75 % of them I was the only HD Mechanic they had that looked after them for 25 years . If you were on a drilling rig back in the 1985-2000 you knew who they were and you knew who I was . I worked 18 hrs a days and i would cover all 3 provinces every 3 days sometimes . I had at least 4 job offers a year and would of had a lot more if I was at most job places during daylight hrs . I was burnt out and needed a change . The new owners thought they could replace me .Once I was gone ,they found no one that would be on call 24/7 365 days a year that knew deutz deisel engines . Most guy wanted to be home every day ,They end up selling all the generators at auction as they broke over thy next 5 years and folded the company .
You should have been contracting out and not an employee, think you could have doubled or more your money yearly.
WDF
Old 06-24-2024, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
You should have been contracting out and not an employee, think you could have doubled or more your money yearly.
WDF
They were paying me almost like a contractor because i was getting like 10 hr double time every day . I think most contractors back then only had a flat rate and they had to pay for there own fuel and have there own truck . It was all paid for ,for me .
Old 06-27-2024, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
From experience, if you return to work somewhere else before your case is settled, your former employer is entitled to deduct all wages earned from the time you let their employ until the settlement date.

I found this out the hard way. Cost me a substantial amount of money.
Second piece of opinion/advice given and a Lawyer who specializes in labor will tell you this as well.
Couple people I know received this information after they consulted a Labor Lawyer...
Makes for an interesting summer.
Good Luck .
Rob