Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 08:03 AM

Turn all the reserve lands into private ownership. The land will be quickly sold off to maintain the idle lifestyle, and the former owners will have to seriously become idle no more. Just think of all the prime recreational land that will become available to the rest of us, especially in BC.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
Turn all the reserve lands into private ownership. The land will be quickly sold off to maintain the idle lifestyle, and the former owners will have to seriously become idle no more. Just think of all the prime recreational land that will become available to the rest of us, especially in BC.
This will never happen. At the time the treaties were signed, the Indians had very little understanding of what they meant. Today, they are educated and understand the law. They will not be taken advantage of again.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
I do not agree with your suggestion. Lots of natives do practice their traditions. Unfortunately lots also practice laziness.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhawk View Post
Sidetrack: Can you identify what promises in the treaties were never honored?
I would like to see this list as well. We have been honoring things way to much in my opinion. The government a few years ago gave the siksika nation 80 million because we couldn't find the early paper work when we paid for the bassano dam?
To put it in perspective if some one flooded your land back in 1911 wouldnt the people at the time have been upset? I am sure they would have been and would have fought for it then if they cared so much. or did they at the time see the benefits for all at the time. Fast forward a bunch of years and a bunch of spoiled distant relatives find a loop hole and cry that they want more.

Enough is Enough
Old 01-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
Lots of natives do practice their traditions. Unfortunately lots also practice laziness.

Just like the rest of us hey! Who'd a thunk it.

We hire 6 or more people for summer help each year, until recently, every year 4 or more have to be let go because they didn't want to work.
Every last one of those we have to let go, had no native blood in them.

For the last few years, our best workers have all had some native blood in them. Now our seasonal staff are mostly Native or Métis.

What's that tell us?
Old 01-19-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
I do not agree with your suggestion. Lots of natives do practice their traditions. Unfortunately lots also practice laziness.
Lots of people keep their culture alive. They just choose to do it in a building that they bought in town and was not given to them by the government for injustices done hundreds of years ago.

I have been in the Polish Hall in Edmonton. Fierce pride from that culture. No handouts, no help, all done by members of the Polish community that care enough to make sure that they dont lose their roots and remember where they came from.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Just like the rest of us hey! Who'd a thunk it.

We hire 6 or more people for summer help each year, until recently, every year 4 or more have to be let go because they didn't want to work.
Every last one of those we have to let go, had no native blood in them.

For the last few years, our best workers have all had some native blood in them. Now our seasonal staff are mostly Native or Métis.

What's that tell us?
Nothing. Well, except that people looking for 'seasonal' jobs are generally lacking in work ethic.

IIRC, your work is a government contract. I know how the government can be with contractors who don't have FN staff in an area with any sort of FN population.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:00 AM

Some people are frustrated enough with the status quo to organise and go out and protest in the streets. Others are only frustrated enough to tell there forum buddies that they should protest against the protesters ..maybe ... someday...when they have time
Old 01-19-2013, 09:13 AM

I expect most of you guys have never worked with Indian and Metis men. Your opinion on their ability to work is based on the stereotype that natives are not good workers. This stereotype has about as much validity the concept that all Irishmen are drunks and Scotsmen are cheap.

Last week I helped to freight fuel and other supplies into a fly in fishing camp. The trip was 200 kms from the closest road. The camp operator hired a crew of five metis guys with two snow bugs and three snow sleds to do the freighting. The trip was about two thirds over lakes and the rest over portage trails between the lakes. We found the portage trails to be for the most part completely blocked by blown down trees. The travel over the portages consisted of guys chain sawing their way through and removing the trees from the trails. It was extremely hard work in negative thirty of forty degree temperature with the snow being well over two feet. What was an eight hour trip coming out, took two fourteen hours days to get in. I have absolutely no complaint about the working ability of the Metis guys on the trip. They were pleasant and happy throughout and worked consistently in a manner that would have tested the old style oilfield roughnecks.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:26 AM

I have never seen so many racists come out of the wood work, feels like the USA in the 50s. good job guys, you are all winners in my book.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:51 AM

Uh oh