Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-03-2011, 05:17 PM

Accubonds are always a safe bet in a Browning.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
Someone correct me if Im wrong but should a normal blued carbon barrel not be a little better quality, as true stainless does not make a good barrel so stainless barrels are a mixed alloy of stainless and other steel hence why they will rust just not as easily. Just my thoughts from some reading. Ive never seen a difference and owned both.
It really depends on what kind of stainless it is 440, 316, 17-4, ect. There are some stainless steels out there that can be tempered to a rockwell hardness of around 62-65 which should provide decades of wear resistance even firing FMJ's. Unfortunaltely I have yet to see a barrel that is marked with the kind of steel it is made of. I do know that there is a certain well known rifle manufacturer that uses 4140 for their blued barrels.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."

Last edited by ghostguy6; 10-03-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:20 PM

in my Sako A7 i use RL17 with the Barnes 168gr ttsx. my son uses IMR4350 with Nosler 180gr partitions
Old 10-03-2011, 10:35 PM

I like the 7mm rem mag I got. I was told the barrel would be good for at least 5000 rounds. Put a bear down in a hurry, and thought it was a little much for the doe I shot using 150 grains.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:58 AM

no comment

Last edited by Lonnie; 10-04-2011 at 05:03 AM. Reason: delete
Old 10-04-2011, 05:24 AM

Stainless handles the heat better. CM may be a stronger material, but considering barrel wear is generally from heat from burning powder, SS will last longer.

Caliber specific turrets can be pretty cool. For those of us that don't shoot as much as we'd like or should, the adjustable turrets or distance reticles can really aid in varying range shooting.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
It really depends on what kind of stainless it is 440, 316, 17-4, ect. There are some stainless steels out there that can be tempered to a rockwell hardness of around 62-65 which should provide decades of wear resistance even firing FMJ's. Unfortunaltely I have yet to see a barrel that is marked with the kind of steel it is made of. I do know that there is a certain well known rifle manufacturer that uses 4140 for their blued barrels.
4140 and 4130 are common chrome moly steels for building gun barrels.
The problem with getting a stainless that lasts longer is it will be much harder to machine and make accurate.
In production chrome moly also needs to be finished with bluing, or some other type of protection, but stainless does not, and even though stainless will rust, it won't rust as fast as un-blued chrome moly

The type of bullet used or what the barrel is made of does not have as much to do with how it will last as how it is shot .

As far as a rifle lasting 5000 rounds, yes it will, in fact many of the bigger cartridges likely will last that long for a hunting rifle.'They will not keep their ultimate match quality accuracy that long, but there is a difference in the accuracy parameters for normal hunting conditions and for match shooting .
The last thing I worry about is if a gun is going to be able to shoot 1/2MOA off the bench if I am going to take a walk and shoot a deer or moose at 200 yards with it.

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 10-04-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJ View Post
Did you check out the specs on the .325 wsm?

I don't have one but they sound sweet..
Yuck! Should be interesting to see how long the 325wsm lasts.

I'm partial to the Tikka T3's. The Xbolt is nice but I'm not a fan of the magazine.

I really like the 7mm family of cartridges. Lots of choices for reloading.

I have a 7mm-08 and love it but it still might be a little small for a longer range shot on an elk.

You can always start off with something like a 7-08 and pick up another rifle in the future (something like a 338wm) if you're going to head out for a elk or moose trip.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building