Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-27-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
The two scopes I have are Leupolds with fine duplex reticles. It probably makes the most sense for me to stick with Leupold, and the BDC reticle if I decide to get something other than fine duplex.
The fine duplex is great for shooting in bright conditions, but I would try using one of those scopes in low light conditions, against a dark object similar to a deer or a moose, before putting one on a big game rifle. You might find that a heavier reticle is easier to see under those conditions.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:41 PM

Default what is right for you

You know on any given day in a certain store you could ask 8 guys and get 6 7 or 8 opinions on what to put on that finnlight and all would be correct for them. I suspect you will get the same correct opinions here as well.
I bought my first B & C and learned to use it so now I have 5 ballistic reticles. As has been said if you commit to one you might as well have all the same but by the same token I would not put a fine duplex on a big game rifle as I had a varmint hunter mounted on a 243 for a short time and used it for a long shot at an antelope in 2009. these old eyes felt the cross hairs were too fine against a light colored background.
Jeffs VXlll may be too much magnification for some but it will never hurt you, and you will only use it at a set magnification under 14 for the reticle to work at all ranges.
What ever scope you chose it is more important that you shoot it a lot prior to hunting with it so get it on and get shooting so you are totally familiar with it out to 3-400 yards. Kind of like a funny ford truck I know of and the seats work just fine even though they are pink camo doesn't affect the ride one bit.
Any good quality scope is suitable for this rifle just don't put cheap junk on a great rifle.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:44 PM

Just buy the scope..I need to put some food on the table
Old 07-27-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
Just buy the scope..I need to put some food on the table
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
Probably a 3 1/2 to 10 would be better suited for you if your only shooting 300 yrds..

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
Hey these guys convinced me that I have what you need..
Old 07-27-2011, 09:03 PM

Smile

seems you bought yourself a lightweight rifle why not go with a light scope. Not sure what your purpose is with this gun but the scope should also fit that app. You mention that range should not really excede 300 or so. Probably do not need to step above 3-9 however glass quality might be important. Bells and whisltles such as bdc and b&c are probably going to slow or confuse you at that moment you need to take the shot. If you do not have acurate range info, you will be guessing. Better off spending money on a decent range finder and learn your specific cartridges ballistics intimately. Personally Im quite fond of leupold ultralght series scopes. Might be worth a look at them. A properly zeroed 25-06 will easily allow you to put the crosshairs where you want the bullet to hit on all large game,( gophers may be the exception.)out to 300 yards before a sight adjustment.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:07 PM

Thumbs up do it

Just buy Jeffs so he can put food on the table. I think he is wasting away with the length and potential length of 25,754 members contributing to this thread and hunting season will be over and you still won't have a scope.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:08 PM

I have that exact scope on my 25-06 Mark V. Love it. Suits the gun perfectly in my opinion. It's my field gun, and I don't really plan on shooting over 300, 350 max. It's just nice to have too much rather then too little. Having 4.5-14 zoom helps out alot in the field, looking at animals at low light or if your binos aren't handy.
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 07-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Absolutely none and that was my point....I don't see a need for 3x or less on a 25-06 in Alberta as I'm not likely to be charged by an angry mule deer doe....lol That's why the 4.5-14 is my choice
If you are likely to get charged buy any big game animal in Alberta it will be an Alberta big buck anyways. Carful boys there out there!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A 3.5x-10x is plenty for 300 yards. I would go with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 for $468, for that application.
3-9x40 Zeiss is the best value scope for the money right now, imo.

Good luck!
Old 07-28-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Just buy Jeffs so he can put food on the table. I think he is wasting away with the length and potential length of 25,754 members contributing to this thread and hunting season will be over and you still won't have a scope.
I've advised Jeff that I'll assess my budget on the first, and let him know what my options are for proceeding with payment. If the scope sells before I've had the opportunity, it wasn't meant to be.

I can't continue to look at that scope languishing in the buy & sell any longer. If it just doesn't work for me on my 25-06, I'll put it on my 30-06. If I don't like it on that, I'll re-sell it.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:17 PM

The scope has arrived . . . and I LOVE it.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:30 PM

awesome! glad you got it sorted!
Old 08-04-2011, 01:48 PM

How good of you to help Jeff buy food again. The poor boy was fading away!
Old 08-04-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
How good of you to help Jeff buy food again.
And now I can't!

Old 08-04-2011, 06:25 PM

Old 08-04-2011, 06:50 PM

My rings are too short. Grrrrrrr.

I think I'd save myself time and money by just paying someone to do this crap for me! The learning curve for a newb getting one gun, let alone the five I'm trying to get set up, SUCKS.

Maybe I need to replace hubby #3 with a gunsmith.